Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 26, '09, 8:52 pm
Trial Membership

Default What is the truth regarding the descriptions given to CATHOLIC as the WHORE of BABYLON and the POPE as ANTICHRIST?

This is becoming really alarming..I have browsed a lot of documentaries and they are referring to THE RC as the WHORE of BABYLON and the POPE as the ANTICHRIST!!! A lot of strong points really support their ideas. please refer to YOUTUBE and search the internet. by the way they even regarded POPE JOHN PAUL II as the Beast who is one of the seven beasts!! Please give me your ideas about these.
Old Mar 26, '09, 8:58 pm
Banned

Religion: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
Default Re: What is the truth regarding the descriptions given to CATHOLIC as the WHORE of BABYLON and the POPE as ANTICHRIST?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd Lowell View Post
This is becoming really alarming..I have browsed a lot of documentaries and they are referring to THE RC as the WHORE of BABYLON and the POPE as the ANTICHRIST!!! A lot of strong points really support their ideas. please refer to YOUTUBE and search the internet. by the way they even regarded POPE JOHN PAUL II as the Beast who is one of the seven beasts!! Please give me your ideas about these.
and this is why I advise people not to read anti-Catholic/anti-Mormon/anti-whatever websites/books/etc to find out the "truth" about a religion.
Old Mar 26, '09, 9:04 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: What is the truth regarding the descriptions given to CATHOLIC as the WHORE of BABYLON and the POPE as ANTICHRIST?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDSGuy View Post
and this is why I advise people not to read anti-Catholic/anti-Mormon/anti-whatever websites/books/etc to find out the "truth" about a religion.
Like that from your own leaders?
Old Mar 26, '09, 9:05 pm

Religion: Peter's Boat

LDSGuy, well said! I've always left Catholics and LDS have a bit of a kinship on this issue

Lloyd, if you're sincere, welcome and good luck finding your answers.

If you're a troll (which is where the evidence seems to point: carpet-bombing numerous threads with the same inflammatory questions; posting, rather than reading, as a brand new member when the answers are already here for you to read), most people on this site will see right through you. Just FYI.
Old Mar 26, '09, 9:06 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Nope.City on Seven Hills? Rome is - so is Jerusalem by the way, and plenty of other cities. Rome, remember, has been a pagan city well before it was Catholic HQ. By the way, the Vatican (where the Pope lives) ISN'T Rome, it's it's own country. And it isn't on one of Rome's 'seven hills', either.

Persecuting the saints? Again, the Jews did plenty of that, so did the pagan Romans. So it could just as easily be pagan Rome or Jerusalem. Why the RC in particular?

Pope John Paul II the Antichrist? Let me guess - you've been shown pictures of him with the upside down cross on his chair and told 'see, it's a Satanic symbol'! Nothing could be further from the truth. It is a symbol of St Peter, the first Pope, who was crucified upside down because he considered himself unworthy to die in the same manner as Christ.

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old Mar 26, '09, 9:10 pm

Religion: theosopher

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about that much. Do you remember Reagan meeting with bald politicians and them comming out with big ugly marks on their heads. Who knows how many guys were marked that had a full head of hair.

Well, Reagan has passed away, and Revelation is a book of signs and symbols, and not doctrine. It says at the end of the book to keep the book, but it does not say to teach.

A religion that teaches mysteries is a bad sign though.

I believe that wikipedia has an article that states the the number of the Greek name 'Benediktos' is 600+60+6....

Be good now...
Old Mar 26, '09, 9:10 pm

Religion: Holy Catholic Apostolic Church

Thats not true. Catholi Church is the Church of Christ. Examine first the anti-catholic doctrines, is the Catholic Church came from them? No! They're Churches and their knowledge came from the Catholic Church! ! And the Bible warned us that from the Catholic Church some may established their own Churches. . . . . . And this are the so Called false prophets that they introduced another Doctrines and interpretations in the Bible, and some may Say they are Christ or Messenger of God, and they will preach other Jesus. . . .
Old Mar 26, '09, 9:12 pm
Forum Master

Quote:

Oh, oh, the sh*ts gonna hit the fan.
Old Mar 26, '09, 9:16 pm

Religion: Holy Catholic Apostolic Church

Therefore these Churches of this False Prophet who broke away from the Catholic Church, do they have the Credibility to Attack their Mother Church? No!
Old Mar 26, '09, 9:34 pm

Quote:
Well, my ideas run something like this:

Please understand that's not directed at you, just at the person who made all that stuff up.

Last edited by Michael Francis; Mar 27, '09 at 4:54 am. Reason: Edited choice of words
Old Mar 27, '09, 12:28 am

I'm quite surprised that no one has provided Llyod with these links which refute those anti-Catholic claims.

http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/1994/9409fea4.asp
http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/1994/9410fea2.asp
http://www.catholic.com/library/Whore_of_Babylon.asp
http://www.catholic.com/library/Hunt...of_Babylon.asp
http://www.catholic.com/library/The_Antichrist.asp
Old Mar 27, '09, 12:35 am
Trial Membership

Thank you so much for giving me ideas! God bless!! At least I can stand up to them and defend my religion. I was really caught out of guard and everybody in my group was really pressing in on me so i have to consult you guys!! thank you so much!

Dominus vobis cum!!
Old Mar 27, '09, 3:19 am

13 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly army, praising God, and saying: 14 Glory to God in the highest; and on earth peace to men of good will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gdREMz_w9I
Old Mar 27, '09, 6:33 am

Religion: CATHOLIC
Send a message via MSN to mdbaker46

That sounds like a JWs thinking, they point the finger to the church, but they don't realize they have 3 fingers pointing back to them.
Old Mar 27, '09, 6:59 pm
Banned

Smile Re: What is the truth regarding the descriptions given to CATHOLIC as the WHORE of BABYLON and the POPE as ANTICHRIST?

Quote:
## Other Antichrists have included:
  • Nero
  • Luther
  • Louis XIV
  • Hitler
  • Napoleon
  • Napoleon III
  • Pius IX (& a lot of other Popes)
  • Kaiser Wilhelm II
  • H.R.H. Charles, Prince of Wales
  • George Bush II
  • President Obama
  • & too many others to count
The whole idea is utter nonsense - it's the theological equivalent of crying "Wolf !" in a crowded building. It is without any foundation in the texts brought forward to "prove" it. Biblical interpretation that does not interpret a text, is worthless morally, intellectually, spiritually, doctrinally - not only are parts of Daniel introduced into Revelation, which is a completely different book, resulting in a bastard interpretation which is faithful to the text & meaning of neither one book nor the other: but, the interpretation that makes Revelation 17 a condemnation of Papal Rome is selective: it interprets some details in the chapter, & only some. It is intellectually dishonest to do this; there are not the words to condemn such disgraceful behaviour. Such treatment is sacrilege - it manipulates a sacred text for the basest of purposes: the spreading of fear, hatred & suspicion of others. That says everything needful about the moral character of the proposed interpretation

Why should any sane & (as nearly as possible) impartial person believe that JP2 is the great Antichrist, when the title has been applied to so many other candidates, only for them to turn out not to be the great Antichrist ? The title has been reduced to nothing more than an insulting & slanderous slur thrown about by irresponsible, ignorant & trivial-minded rabble-rousers. JP2 died in his bed - does the great AC do so ?

Knowing nothing of the Book of Revelation, I was under the impression that there were not seven beasts, but two. Both can be found in chapter 13. Which Youtube video on this subject do you want people to watch ?

BTW: why don't those who fear that the RCC is the WoB - BTW, it's a violation of TOS to say the RCC is the WoB - pray for the RCC, that it may not become the WoB ? Not to do so, implies a deterministic or fatalist position: as though the CC "had to be" the WoB, in order to allow prophecy to be fulfilled. Such a position is not Christian, but pagan: Christ is the Saviour from fatalism & determinism: that is one of the reasons for the importance of His Ascension.

BTW, why choose the Papacy ? These false prophets always assume that the AC is someone active in their own lifetimes: but what basis for this assumption is there ? The AC, if there is going to be one, could be some character who will not appear for half a million years or so. It's absurd to assume that because the Papacy has a reputation for cruelty & tyranny (from certain POVs) in (say) the 18th century, no greater tyranny can ever arise. But by vilifying Popes as something close to satan incarnate, parts of Protestantism have left themselvess without words to describe the doings of Hitler, Mao, & Stalin. If a Pope kills only a few hundred persecuted saints, & is unsparingly condemned - how is someone who polishes off 60 million people, as Stalin did, to be described ?

Last edited by Gottle of Geer; Mar 27, '09 at 7:17 pm.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics