Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 27, '09, 6:08 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Byzantine Catholic
Thumbs up NO to reiki say our Bishops! Thank You Jesus

Our bishops finally ruled on 'reiki' especially as it is being used by some nuns and such.

THEY SAID NO! Thanks be to GOD!

GUIDELINES FOR EVALUATING REIKI AS AN ALTERNATIVE THERAPY
Committee on Doctrine
United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
1. From time to time questions have been raised about various alternative therapies that are often available in the United States. Bishops are sometimes asked, "What is the Church's
position on such therapies?" The USCCB Committee on Doctrine has prepared this resource in order to assist bishops in their responses.
I. HEALING BY DIVINE GRACE AND HEALING BY NATURAL POWERS
2. The Church recognizes two kinds of healing: healing by divine grace and healing that utilizes the powers of nature. As for the first, we can point to the ministry of Christ, who performed many physical healings and who commissioned his disciples to carry on that work. In fidelity to this commission, from the time of the Apostles the Church has interceded on behalf of the sick through the invocation of the name of the Lord Jesus, asking for healing through the
power of the Holy Spirit, whether in the form of the sacramental laying on of hands and anointing with oil or of simple prayers for healing, which often include an appeal to the saints for
their aid. As for the second, the Church has never considered a plea for divine healing, which comes as a gift from God, to exclude recourse to natural means of healing through the practice of
medicine.1 Alongside her sacrament of healing and various prayers for healing, the Church has a long history of caring for the sick through the use of natural means. The most obvious sign of
this is the great number of Catholic hospitals that are found throughout our country. 3. The two kinds of healing are not mutually exclusive. Because it is possible to be healed by divine power does not mean that we should not use natural means at our disposal. It is not our decision whether or not God will heal someone by supernatural means. As the Catechism of the Catholic Church points out, the Holy Spirit sometimes gives to certain human beings "a special charism of healing so as to make manifest the power of the grace of the risen Lord."2 This power of healing is not at human disposal, however, for "even the most intense prayers do
not always obtain the healing of all illnesses."3 Recourse to natural means of healing therefore remains entirely appropriate, as these are at human disposal. In fact, Christian charity demands
that we not neglect natural means of healing people who are ill.

II. R
EIKI AND HEALING

A) The Origins and Basic Characteristics of Reiki
4. Reiki is a technique of healing that was invented in Japan in the late 1800s by Mikao Usui, who was studying Buddhist texts.4 ...

Con't

“The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. (1 Corinthians 1:23,24)
Old Mar 27, '09, 6:14 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Byzantine Catholic
Default Re: NO to reiki say our Bishops! Thank You Jesus

...7 Some
practitioners attempt to Christianize Reiki by adding a prayer to Christ, but this does not affect the essential nature of Reiki. For these reasons, Reiki and other similar therapeutic techniques
cannot be identified with what Christians call healing by divine grace.
9. The difference between what Christians recognize as healing by divine grace and Reiki therapy is also evident in the basic terms used by Reiki proponents to describe what happens in Reiki therapy, particularly that of "universal life energy." Neither the Scriptures nor the Christian tradition as a whole speak of the natural world as based on "universal life energy" that is subject to manipulation by the natural human power of thought and will. In fact, this worldview
has its origins in eastern religions and has a certain monist and pantheistic character, in that distinctions among self, world, and God tend to fall away.8 We have already seen that Reiki practitioners are unable to differentiate clearly between divine healing power and power that is at human disposal.
III. CONCLUSION
10. Reiki therapy finds no support either in the findings of natural science or in Christian belief. For a Catholic to believe in Reiki therapy presents insoluble problems. In terms of caring for one's physical health or the physical health of others, to employ a technique that has no scientific support (or even plausibility) is generally not prudent. 11. In terms of caring for one's spiritual health, there are important dangers. To use Reiki one would have to accept at least in an implicit way central elements of the worldview that undergirds Reiki theory, elements that belong neither to Christian faith nor to natural science. Without justification either from Christian faith or natural science, however, a Catholic who puts his or her trust in Reiki would be operating in the realm of superstition, the no-man's-land that is neither faith nor science.9 Superstition corrupts one's worship of God by turning one's religious feeling and practice in a false direction.10 While sometimes people fall into superstition through
ignorance, it is the responsibility of all who teach in the name of the Church to eliminate such ignorance as much as possible.
12. Since Reiki therapy is not compatible with either Christian teaching or scientific evidence, it would be inappropriate for Catholic institutions, such as Catholic health care facilities and retreat centers, or persons representing the Church, such as Catholic chaplains, to
promote or to provide support for Reiki therapy.
Most Rev. William E. Lori (Chairman) Most Rev. John C. Nienstedt
Bishop of Bridgeport Archbishop of St. Paul and Minneapolis
Most Rev. Leonard P. Blair Most Rev. Arthur J. Serratelli
Bishop of Toledo Bishop of Paterson
Most Rev. José H. Gomez Most Rev. Allen H. Vigneron
Archbishop of San Antonio Bishop of Oakland
Most Rev. Robert J. McManus Most Rev. Donald W. Wuerl
Bishop of Worcester Archbishop of Washington

Read the entire document at
http://www.spiritdaily.com/reikiruling.htm

“The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. (1 Corinthians 1:23,24)
Old Mar 27, '09, 9:45 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

"Pani" thank you for posting this.

I often wonder if any of this.. relates also to "homeopathic medicine".. and "alternative medicine".

My sister works for a chiropractor/homeopathic doctor.. and she has told me about some of the "remedies" and how they work. He uses "energies".. etc. And it has always sounded a bit.. suspect.. to me. I don't understand it, I guess. But I don't want to take your post "off topic". Thanks for the info!

God bless.
"..I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. CHOOSE LIFE, then, that you and your descendants may live.." (Deuteronomy 30:19)
PLEASE VISIT: http://www.facebook.com/priestsforlife.org

Old Mar 28, '09, 6:54 pm

Religion: Misinformed Unitarian Universalist

Sad day for me. I was thinking of returning to the practice of Catholicism, but it looks like the bishops don't want me.
Old Mar 28, '09, 7:59 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese_sdc View Post
Sad day for me. I was thinking of returning to the practice of Catholicism, but it looks like the bishops don't want me.
Me, me, me, I, I, I. How pathetic
Old Mar 28, '09, 8:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eucharisted View Post
Me, me, me, I, I, I. How pathetic
It's a personal issue and elicits a personal response. I would ask you to abide by the rules of charity.
Old Mar 28, '09, 8:50 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieVeronica View Post
"Pani" thank you for posting this.

I often wonder if any of this.. relates also to "homeopathic medicine".. and "alternative medicine".

My sister works for a chiropractor/homeopathic doctor.. and she has told me about some of the "remedies" and how they work. He uses "energies".. etc. And it has always sounded a bit.. suspect.. to me. I don't understand it, I guess. But I don't want to take your post "off topic". Thanks for the info!

God bless.
To quote from the document, the main problem with reiki is : "this worldview has its origins in eastern religions and has a certain monist and pantheistic character, in that distinctions among self, world, and God tend to fall away"

Without knowing exactly what your alternative doctor is saying, as far as I know homeopathy and chiropractic aren't themselves based on a quasireligious or quasispiritualistic understanding of the term 'energies', nor are they influenced by eastern religions and philosophies, unlike reiki.

Doesn't mean they have any verified scientific basis, but the practices themselves seem as spiritually harmless as Western medicine. The doc might have picked up some funny ideas from somewhere else though.

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old Mar 28, '09, 11:53 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
God doesn't want sin, it's as simple as that. He does want you, without it. Do you want God?
Old Mar 29, '09, 8:10 am
Trial Membership

Religion: Catholic with Zen overtones
Lightbulb Re: NO to reiki say our Bishops! Thank You Jesus

I feel some bodywork therapies are ok, including reiki, for health maintenance and minor complaints, or adjunct to medical treatment (as approved by the treating physician). Consider the possibility that prayerful persons will be guided/directed to therapies and practitioners that will help the healing process and are safe.

Six months after I broke my ankle my back was messed up from being on crutches and then limping. My legs felt like wet noodles. At a Dominican center (thank God for these loving, enlightened sisters) where there is a program of alternative therapies, I received medical massage, laser acupuncture (GREAT for back pain!), reiki, and spinning. I was fixed up in a month and my legs felt strong. BTW, the practitioner is catholic.

~White dove fly, not to cry over spilled pain, gain strength and heal, love~
Old Mar 29, '09, 9:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin View Post
God doesn't want sin, it's as simple as that. He does want you, without it. Do you want God?
My experience of both God and Reiki is not quite that black and white.
Old May 11, '09, 7:25 pm

Another accurate treatment of the issue http://www.ncregister.com/daily/enou...reiki_retreats
Old May 12, '09, 1:18 am

Religion: Catholic! Praise be to God!

Quote:
My experience of both God and Reiki is not quite that black and white.
How on Earth can a practice like Reiki mean so much to you that it would keep you from pursuing God, when you would otherwise have found Him in Catholicism? It seems a rather trivial reason to be throwing away the Bride of Christ.
Old May 12, '09, 6:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson View Post
How on Earth can a practice like Reiki mean so much to you that it would keep you from pursuing God, when you would otherwise have found Him in Catholicism? It seems a rather trivial reason to be throwing away the Bride of Christ.
Good question.

Over a year ago, I realized that I just could not believe in most of what the Catholic Church teaches about God. When I looked into my heart of hearts, I could make only two statements about Divinity: a) I believe in a Benevolent Divinity and b) I believe in reiki.

But there is much that is good and holy in Catholicism, and it is that which attracted me back to it, but when the Bishops rejected the only other thing which I find to be holy in my life.... I guess I am the bruised reed they broke.

And Divinity is not just found in Catholicism. Fortunately, the Second Vatican Council affirmed that.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality