Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Jan 12, '05, 1:44 pm
HagiaSophia HagiaSophia is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: July 6, 2004
Posts: 7,681
Post Spanish Bishops Speaking Out

National Catholic bishops conferences in some of these countries and many individual bishops are contenting themselves with pronouncements and strategies focusing only on Catholic teaching about the beauty and worth of marriage while assiduously avoiding any mention of the agenda to force acceptance of homosexuality that is driving the same-sex marriage push. One Canadian bishop told LifeSiteNews.com that the Canadian Catholic public was "not ready to hear" the Church's teaching on homosexuality.

Such political correctness does not seem to be restraining the bishops of Spain however. Fernando Sebastian, Archbishop of Pamplona in northern Spain and Secretary of the Spanish bishops conference, has infuriated homosexual activists by referring to homosexuality as an "epidemic" and identifying it as a "fount of psychological problems and painful frustrations."

"Homosexuals, if they wish, and with well-targeted help, can change their situation," The bishop said on Saturday. He added, "For me, all are sons of God, and all deserve the same respect."

The comments come as Spain's socialist government continues to work to sever that country's historical connection with Catholicism. On January 3rd, the Zapatero cabinet voted to legalize homosexual unions and call them 'marriage.' Since coming to power last year, the new government has moved quickly to eliminate mandatory Catholic religious education in schools, legalize embryonic stem cell research, and promoted abortion. The Spanish socialists were among the first to ratify a European Parliament 94.03% of Spain's population remains Catholic.

The irony is that the socialists came into power only because of the election impact of the terrible train bombing by Islamic terrorists who, among other reasons, justify their actions because of moral corruption in the West.

In a pastoral letter, the current bishop of Avila, home of St. Teresa of Avila, one of Catholicism's most famous 16th century mystic saints and theologians, compared the violent shift away from Spanish traditions to a coups d'etat. Bishop Jesus Garcia Burrillo called the changes "a violent cultural earthquake," in his recent pastoral letter, as reported by the Philadelphia Inquirer. "It is not easy to find in history, in such a short space of time, so many changes affecting morality [except] in time of coups d'etat," he said.

http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2005/jan/05011108.html
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Jan 12, '05, 11:44 pm
misericordie misericordie is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: June 4, 2004
Posts: 2,310
Religion: Roman catholic
Default Re: Spanish Bishops Speaking Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagiaSophia
National Catholic bishops conferences in some of these countries and many individual bishops are contenting themselves with pronouncements and strategies focusing only on Catholic teaching about the beauty and worth of marriage while assiduously avoiding any mention of the agenda to force acceptance of homosexuality that is driving the same-sex marriage push. One Canadian bishop told LifeSiteNews.com that the Canadian Catholic public was "not ready to hear" the Church's teaching on homosexuality.

Such political correctness does not seem to be restraining the bishops of Spain however. Fernando Sebastian, Archbishop of Pamplona in northern Spain and Secretary of the Spanish bishops conference, has infuriated homosexual activists by referring to homosexuality as an "epidemic" and identifying it as a "fount of psychological problems and painful frustrations."

"Homosexuals, if they wish, and with well-targeted help, can change their situation," The bishop said on Saturday. He added, "For me, all are sons of God, and all deserve the same respect."

The comments come as Spain's socialist government continues to work to sever that country's historical connection with Catholicism. On January 3rd, the Zapatero cabinet voted to legalize homosexual unions and call them 'marriage.' Since coming to power last year, the new government has moved quickly to eliminate mandatory Catholic religious education in schools, legalize embryonic stem cell research, and promoted abortion. The Spanish socialists were among the first to ratify a European Parliament 94.03% of Spain's population remains Catholic.

The irony is that the socialists came into power only because of the election impact of the terrible train bombing by Islamic terrorists who, among other reasons, justify their actions because of moral corruption in the West.

In a pastoral letter, the current bishop of Avila, home of St. Teresa of Avila, one of Catholicism's most famous 16th century mystic saints and theologians, compared the violent shift away from Spanish traditions to a coups d'etat. Bishop Jesus Garcia Burrillo called the changes "a violent cultural earthquake," in his recent pastoral letter, as reported by the Philadelphia Inquirer. "It is not easy to find in history, in such a short space of time, so many changes affecting morality [except] in time of coups d'etat," he said.

http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2005/jan/05011108.html
THE ROMAN CATHOLIC hiararchy of SPAIN is my favorite in the world for this. They have..... courage. Spain had the most powerful catholic church in the 14th, 15th, and 16th centuries, and still does. However, some of the priests don't listen, and are disloyal to the Bishops and Rome. However, wow!! the Bishops stand up always!!!! To what is right, and don't care who may or may not like it=tough cookies!!
__________________
I AM SOMEWHERE IN THE USA.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Jan 13, '05, 3:17 am
Franze Franze is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: November 22, 2004
Posts: 1,946
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Spanish Bishops Speaking Out

Misericordie, I am spanish and it isn t so good than you think, in San Sebastian and BIlbao in the Basque Country many priests support nationalism and don t want to make masses for the ETA's victims and there are a more deep secularization in Spain than in USA, and there are few practising catholics and many people than still think that the church is an affair only of priests and not, us the laics, greetings
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Jan 13, '05, 5:56 am
Lance Lance is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 25, 2004
Posts: 5,373
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Spanish Bishops Speaking Out

Franze,
Thank you for your insight into the situation. Somehow things always look better from a distance and worse up close. I will pray for your bishops, priests and all the people of Spain so that they will follow the Church. You at least have some bishops who are doing the right thing. God Bless.
__________________
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Tiber Swim Team of 1973.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Jan 13, '05, 1:16 pm
Franze Franze is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: November 22, 2004
Posts: 1,946
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Spanish Bishops Speaking Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance
Franze,
Thank you for your insight into the situation. Somehow things always look better from a distance and worse up close. I will pray for your bishops, priests and all the people of Spain so that they will follow the Church. You at least have some bishops who are doing the right thing. God Bless.
We have better bishops than before and this is very good and we donīt have sexual abuses, well is true, but we have very little practising laics, and I am the younger cathecist in my parish, and there are almost none in 20s in my parish, and this isnīt worse than the majority in Spain, greetings
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Jan 13, '05, 9:38 pm
misericordie misericordie is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: June 4, 2004
Posts: 2,310
Religion: Roman catholic
Default Re: Spanish Bishops Speaking Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franze
We have better bishops than before and this is very good and we donīt have sexual abuses, well is true, but we have very little practising laics, and I am the younger cathecist in my parish, and there are almost none in 20s in my parish, and this isnīt worse than the majority in Spain, greetings
Are you Basque?? Here I am NOT talking about the Basque country but of places like MADRID, Sevilla, Zaragoza. Yes you are right about the LAITY though, but here we are talking about the QUAlITY of the Cardinals and Bishops of SPAIN. Is is all to be applauded that there is No KNOWN clerical sexual abuse by clergy there. This says something great!!! My great grandparents came ORIGINALLY from the Canary Islands: Las Islas Canarias!!
Oh yes everyone, and Spain has produced so many saints in history: St. Theresa de Avila, St. Dominic of Guzman, St. Ignatias Loyola (Basque), St. Frncis Xavier, great JESUITS!!!!! San Fransisco de Borga, etc. etc. etc.
__________________
I AM SOMEWHERE IN THE USA.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Jan 14, '05, 12:58 am
Franze Franze is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: November 22, 2004
Posts: 1,946
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Spanish Bishops Speaking Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by misericordie
Are you Basque?? Here I am NOT talking about the Basque country but of places like MADRID, Sevilla, Zaragoza. Yes you are right about the LAITY though, but here we are talking about the QUAlITY of the Cardinals and Bishops of SPAIN. Is is all to be applauded that there is No KNOWN clerical sexual abuse by clergy there. This says something great!!! My great grandparents came ORIGINALLY from the Canary Islands: Las Islas Canarias!!
Oh yes everyone, and Spain has produced so many saints in history: St. Theresa de Avila, St. Dominic of Guzman, St. Ignatias Loyola (Basque), St. Frncis Xavier, great JESUITS!!!!! San Fransisco de Borga, etc. etc. etc.
Hello Misericordie, I am from Valencia, and yes have had many saints, but know we are in a different situation, greetings
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8479Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: Weejee
5153CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: Vim71
4429Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: daughterstm
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3864SOLITUDE
Last by: Prairie Rose
3762Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: daughterstm
3332Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3288Poems and Reflections
Last by: tonyg
3225Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: 4elise
3116For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: Weejee



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:00 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.