Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 6, '09, 9:48 am
Trial Membership

Religion: Catholic
Default Adult First Communion and Confirmation who's already baptized

1. If someone's already baptized as a child, but never received the other sacraments of initiation, can he also receive those sacraments during the Easter Vigil?
2. Can the priest minister the sacrament or does it have to be the bishop?
3. Does he have to receive the sacrament of reconciliation before reception of first Holy Communion?
Old Apr 6, '09, 9:54 am

Send a message via Yahoo to ChristinaM
Default Re: Adult First Communion and Confirmation who's already baptized

I believe the answer is yes to all three. It's pretty common for people who were baptized but didn't get their other sacraments to be received at the Easter Vigil. The Bishop is the ordinary minister of confirmation, but he can delegate this to the priest IIRC. Confession before communion is a definite must.
Old Apr 6, '09, 10:09 am

Religion: catholic

Happens all the time with those who enter the Church through RCIA but who were validly baptised in other Christian denominations - like I was. I agree with Christina. (What a terrible post number for me)
Old Apr 6, '09, 10:51 am
Trial Membership

The reason I ask this is that our priest has just informed our director in charge of RCIA that this one candidate must receive the sacrament of confirmation from the the bishop when he comes around to confirm children around Pentecost. I always thought just as other replies to this post that confirmation of baptized adults can be done be the priest with permission from the bishop at the Easter Vigil with other RCIA candidates. Is there a document or something relating to this issue?
Old Apr 6, '09, 11:01 am
Account Under Review

Religion: Latin Catholic

Last year at the Easter Vigil, I was confirmed then received Holy Communion, but I went for my first Confession, the night before.

The parish priest administered all 3.
Old Apr 6, '09, 11:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackcandy View Post
The reason I ask this is that our priest has just informed our director in charge of RCIA that this one candidate must receive the sacrament of confirmation from the the bishop when he comes around to confirm children around Pentecost. I always thought just as other replies to this post that confirmation of baptized adults can be done be the priest with permission from the bishop at the Easter Vigil with other RCIA candidates. Is there a document or something relating to this issue?
You might be making some assumptions about the situation.

There could be many reasons for this...perhaps the person isn't ready. Perhaps they are still working on irregular marriages and so they are not able to receive the sacraments this week.

So maybe the priest wasn't saying this person MUST be confirmed by a Bishop. But was saying that this person needs to wait, and can get confirmed when the Bishop comes.

Big difference.
Old Apr 6, '09, 12:57 pm
Trial Membership

I actually know the situation and person fairly well and the process that he's gone through. Other than already being baptized as a child, there are no other impediments (e.g., marriage, or insufficient catechesis). I was just suprised when he made this announcement. The priest just says that since he's already baptized then then he can't minister the sacrament of confirmation; the bishop must do it.
Old Apr 6, '09, 4:04 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
I actually know the situation and person fairly well and the process that he's gone through. Other than already being baptized as a child, there are no other impediments (e.g., marriage, or insufficient catechesis). I was just suprised when he made this announcement. The priest just says that since he's already baptized then then he can't minister the sacrament of confirmation; the bishop must do it.
Actually, the priest would have to ask for permission to do so and it's quite possible that he doesn't want to or that the Bishop wants to reserve the confirmation of baptized Catholics, be they children or adults, for himself as it is his prerogative to do. The Rite doesn't really support the Confirmation of baptized Catholics at the Easter Vigil. It doesn't forbid it but it certainly doesn't encourage it.
Old Apr 6, '09, 4:29 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
1. If someone's already baptized as a child, but never received the other sacraments of initiation, can he also receive those sacraments during the Easter Vigil?
Catechumens are baptized at the Easter Vigil. Those already baptized might be received into the Church at the same time or at another time. Those already baptized can be received into the Church during any time of the year after receiving instruction. A baptized Catholic would typically not be confirmed at the Easter Vigil, but at another time and by the Bishop.

Quote:
In general priests in the US have been delegated authority to bring baptized non-Christians into the Catholic Church. However, this might not be universal.

Priests in the US have not been delegate the authority to confirm a Catholic. The priest can fill out a form asking for permission and if given by the Bishop then they can confirm a Catholic. Whether or not the Bishop gives permission depends on the Bishop. In my old diocese, the Bishop reserved it to himself. In my new diocese it seems permission is pretty routine.

If this has not been done by now, odds are that the person in question will not be getting confirmed on Easter. Holy Week is extremely busy, and I doubt the paperwork could be done in time if it hasn't been already submitted and approved.

Quote:
3. Does he have to receive the sacrament of reconciliation before reception of first Holy Communion?
Yes.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Apr 6, '09, 4:45 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
1. He could but, shouldn't unless there is no other option. If at all possible Easter Vigil should be only for the Elect being Baptized. This past Sunday would have been a good, or a Sunday in Lent. It would be possible for him to receive his First Holy Communion at the Mass of the Last Supper Thursday evening, and be Confirmed during the Easter season or Pentecost.

2. The Pastor can if he receives permission from the Bishop to Confirm this particular person. I believe the Pastor can only Confirm by the rights given him in Canon Law an adult he has Baptized at the time he Baptizes them. For other already Baptized adults he must ask for and receive permission for each person from the Bishop. At least in this diocese.

3. He has to be catechized in the Sacrament of Reconciliation and given the opportunity to receive it.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments