Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Apr 6, '09, 9:54 am

Religion: catholic
Default Is it true that McDonald's & Sonic have donated to Planned Parenthood?

Hi folks,

A catholic co-worker of mine told me a few months ago that McDonald's and Sonic have donated money to planned parenthood. At first, I was like 'wow'. Then I started to wonder if it was even true. I have asked other catholics if this is true, but no one seems to know the answer. Finally, I was told that McDonalds is franchised/individually owned and operated, not corporate, so if planned parenthood is receiving money, it would have to be from individual restaurants...we have eaten there a few times since I heard this.

which brings me to my dilemma: on Saturday, me and my 2 young daughters had some time to kill, so we went to lunch at Mcdonalds. I didn't really want to, but it's the only place my kids will eat in the area we were in. The planned parenthood thing weighed on my mind the entire time, though, and by Saturday evening, I was feeling wretched. Like I had endorsed Planned Parenthood. But I don't even know if Mcdonald's has sponsored them. I fought with myself, and didn't end up going to communion on Sunday because I felt like a dirty heathen. And I had used Planned Parenthood's services a few years ago for birth control pills long before I had converted (I have confessed this). So by condemning McDonald's for endorsing them, I feel like a hypocrite. I don't want to continue endorsing such a cause, but at the same time, do not want to condemn a legitimate business if it's all a nasty rumor.

Can someone tell me-has anyone heard of McDonald's/Sonic endorsing Planned Parenthood, or any other Pro-choice cause?? If so, what should I do about the past times I have eaten there? I'm really struggling with this. Thanks. Oh, and for the record, I'm pro-life.
Old Apr 6, '09, 10:53 am
Banned

Religion: Christian
Default Re: Is it true that McDonald's & Sonic have donated to Planned Parenthood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARYBEKAH View Post
Hi folks,

A catholic co-worker of mine told me a few months ago that McDonald's and Sonic have donated money to planned parenthood. At first, I was like 'wow'. Then I started to wonder if it was even true. I have asked other catholics if this is true, but no one seems to know the answer. Finally, I was told that McDonalds is franchised/individually owned and operated, not corporate, so if planned parenthood is receiving money, it would have to be from individual restaurants...we have eaten there a few times since I heard this.

which brings me to my dilemma: on Saturday, me and my 2 young daughters had some time to kill, so we went to lunch at Mcdonalds. I didn't really want to, but it's the only place my kids will eat in the area we were in. The planned parenthood thing weighed on my mind the entire time, though, and by Saturday evening, I was feeling wretched. Like I had endorsed Planned Parenthood. But I don't even know if Mcdonald's has sponsored them. I fought with myself, and didn't end up going to communion on Sunday because I felt like a dirty heathen. And I had used Planned Parenthood's services a few years ago for birth control pills long before I had converted (I have confessed this). So by condemning McDonald's for endorsing them, I feel like a hypocrite. I don't want to continue endorsing such a cause, but at the same time, do not want to condemn a legitimate business if it's all a nasty rumor.

Can someone tell me-has anyone heard of McDonald's/Sonic endorsing Planned Parenthood, or any other Pro-choice cause?? If so, what should I do about the past times I have eaten there? I'm really struggling with this. Thanks. Oh, and for the record, I'm pro-life.
1 Corinthians 8 addresses the question of eating food sacrificed to idols, which I think is relevant to this situation.

Also, something to consider, the U.S. government supports abortion both here and abroad now. Can you stop paying your taxes because of this? Jesus said to render unto Caesar. Although the analogy is a little loose, I don't think your conscience should be hurt, especially if you are not totally sure if the accusation is true, and if it is true, if it is true of the particular restaurant at which you're eating.
Old Apr 6, '09, 11:18 am
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic-Latin Rite
Default Re: Is it true that McDonald's & Sonic have donated to Planned Parenthood?

It doesn't look like it but...you could always read through things like this...

http://www.aboutmcdonalds.com/mcd/investors.html

http://www.crmcdonalds.com/publish/c...t_of_rmhc.html

They have downloadable reports and such on their site that you could probably check into.

I just typed McDonalds Corporation into a search engine and came up with those, you could do the same for Sonic.

Hopefully someone will know more information, but it would be a good idea to check these sites out everyonce in awhile I suppose to keep up to date.

I read one time on the EWTN Q. and A. when someone posed that question to Judie Brown a few years ago that she didn't think they were at this time.

They probably do at times and then don't at times, I would imagine it depends on who is heading up those departments and who is watching over them. It would be a good idea for everyone to know this and then we could make conscious, informed decisions about where are monies are actually going to. It looks like it takes and enormous amount of time and talent to garner all that information and then it could change.
"A child is God's greatest gift to the family, to the nation, to the world. The child is a life from God, created in the image of God, created for great things, to love and to be loved."--Blessed Mother Teresa
Old Apr 6, '09, 11:31 am

If I check it out and don't find any dirt on these places, would you say it's OK to eat there?
Old Apr 6, '09, 11:39 am

If we stopped eating or doing business with every organization that donates to Planned Parenthood or the like we'd probably go hungry or be unable to purchase goods.
The businesses that are really offending might be avoided or we could write letters explaining our boycott.
I do believe in standing up for things but it gets complicated in the business world.
Right now we go to Hardees because I've heard other things about McDonalds I've not been real happy with.For all I know Hardees might be just as bad. Hope not-they have great burgers!
Old Apr 6, '09, 11:57 am

wow, you're right allhers...an enormous amount of time and effort. I started reading through one of the websites you gave, and it's all legal/stock market jargon. And I'm not very business savvy..so far, I haven't seen anything that indicates they endorse such causes, but I'll keep looking.
Old Apr 6, '09, 12:09 pm

Religion: Catholic

Realistically, every major corporation has probably given money to an objectionable cause at some point or another, either out of ideological support or just because they give a lot of money to various causes.
Old Apr 6, '09, 4:12 pm

I think what your co-worker was referring to was a boycott last year when one of the CEO's was going to do a campaign with the gay lobby or else he was going to join their board and it caused a major uproar. People boycotted the restaurant and the CEO withdrew his offer.

I have not seen them on a boycott list from Life Decisions International(list companies who donate to PP) and they are pretty accurate in listing these kind of corporations.

As all other poster have said, it would be difficult as many companies do give money but I do selectively shop and if a company is on the Human Rights Campaign (gay lobby) or a known boycott list then I avoid it as best I can.

The first rule: When you boycott a company you need to make that phone call and tell them why.

I did avoid McDonald's last year but since the boycott was stopped when the CEO complied, I again go there.

Last edited by gam197; Apr 6, '09 at 4:24 pm.
Old Apr 6, '09, 6:41 pm

Religion: Angry but practicing Catholic

The problem is, boycotts usually hurt the wrong people, ie. the counter clerks, cooks, etc. working in the actual shops, etc. and who most likely have families to support.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Angela: "I don't believe in the Devil."

John Constantine: "You should. He believes in you." -- "Constantine"
Old Apr 7, '09, 10:37 pm

Religion: Seriously considering conversion to Catholicism

I think that, regardless of whether Sonic and McDonald's have donated to Planned Parenthood, there is no reason to boycott them. Think of it like this, would you feel compelled to fire someone who you employed because they donated to Planned Parenthood?
Old Apr 8, '09, 6:23 pm

Boycotts are very important. First you have to telephone the company and tell them why you are boycotting. Then you have keep informed because companies do relent and change their policies so therefore the boycott is ended.

Boycotts have been very helpful in defunding Planned Parenthood so please do boycott as it is very effective and as Christians we are called to sacrifice.
Old Apr 8, '09, 6:31 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic-Latin Rite

Quote:
Originally Posted by gam197 View Post
...I have not seen them on a boycott list from Life Decisions International(list companies who donate to PP) and they are pretty accurate in listing these kind of corporations...
http://www.fightpp.org/
"A child is God's greatest gift to the family, to the nation, to the world. The child is a life from God, created in the image of God, created for great things, to love and to be loved."--Blessed Mother Teresa
Old Apr 8, '09, 11:01 pm
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic with Traditional leanings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix Refugee View Post
The problem is, boycotts usually hurt the wrong people, ie. the counter clerks, cooks, etc. working in the actual shops, etc. and who most likely have families to support.
And that is a problem because...

...I am drawing a blank.
Old Apr 13, '09, 12:04 am

Religion: Catholic - Roman rite

How do we find out what REASON Sonic is on the fightpp boycott list? For instance, another thread on this forum reveals that Starbucks has been on such lists for matching employee donations to PP. However, they allegedly also match employee donations to pro-life causes.

Do we know whether Sonic corporate is donating to Planned Parenthood? Because if it is, then it doesn't matter that Sonic has franchises; the franchise fees and other expenses paid to corporate would go in part to Planned Parenthood. Arg!

I've been boycotting Sonic for a year and haven't worked up the guts to call them.
Old Apr 13, '09, 12:17 am

Religion: Catholic - Roman rite

From Sonic's corporate giving webpage: http://www.sonicdrivein.com/business.../corporate.jsp

While SONIC values all who are engaged in volunteerism and quality-of-life issues across the United States, we are unfortunately not able to fund all requests. SONIC does not consider cash gifts to:
  • Organizations outside the state of Oklahoma
  • Individuals
  • Private preschool, primary and secondary educational institutions
  • Dinners, luncheons or other forms of indirect support
  • Private foundations
  • Sporting events, including golf tournaments
  • Health-related organizations
  • Political parties or candidates
  • Sectarian, denominational or religious causes/organizations/events
  • Special interest groups such as labor and veterans' organizations
So...how did Sonic get on the fightpp list?

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice