Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 6, '09, 1:49 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default I really want to pray the Rosary, but I am scared to

I am a Catholic. I have read the Bible. I really want to start praying the Rosary. I am scared to because I don't know how it quite fits in with the Bible. I am trying to strickly go by the Bible. Please help to help me understand because I would really like to pray it. Thank you!!!
Old Apr 6, '09, 2:11 pm
Banned

Send a message via AIM to BayernAnhaenger
Default Re: I really want to pray the Rosary, but I am scared to

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965 View Post
I am a Catholic. I have read the Bible. I really want to start praying the Rosary. I am scared to because I don't know how it quite fits in with the Bible. I am trying to strickly go by the Bible. Please help to help me understand because I would really like to pray it. Thank you!!!
First, (not attacking you) why go "strictly off the Bible?"

As a Catholic, we need three things, the Tripod of Truth - Magisterium, Bible, Tradition.

But, as to the Rosary:
Waay back when, it originally signified the 150 Psalms, but because the laity were illiterate, they just said Our Fathers and Hail Marys. It eventually, thanks to St. Dominic and Our Lady, turned into a devotion to Mary.

As to the prayers... all of the Mysteries reflect back on Christ. So, there's no worry about it. We're just asking Mary to intercede on our behalf. It's just like asking your friend Bob to pray for you. Except in this case, Bob is sinless, was immaculately conceived, and is the Mother of God!

I would highly suggest you read "The Secret of the Rosary" by St. Louis de Montfort. Not necessarily related to your question, but if you want to start praying the Rosary, it is amazing!
Old Apr 6, '09, 2:33 pm

Quote:
As a Catholic, I am sure that you know already that we do not only "go by the Bible." St. Paul speaks of this numerous times in his letters. Scripture is indeed holy and without error and must be recognized; however, Tradition (capital "T") is also holy and without error. God gave us His Church to guide His people. That same Church determines Tradition and not only that, it also determined which books would be included in the Bible and which would not be included.
Old Apr 6, '09, 2:40 pm

The Our Father comes directly from the Bible, from Jesus' own words.

The Hail Mary comes from the Bible... the first half is quotes from the angel at the annunciation and from Elizabeth when Mary visited her. The rest is a petition to Mary to intercede for us.

The Mysteries all reflect on the life of Christ and Mary and most are found in the Bible (in fact, the only two, out of twenty, that are not specifically mentioned in the Bible are the Glorious mysteries of the Assumption and the Coronation of Mary.)

"Be Not Afraid!"

www.amymbennettbooks.com

NOW AVAILABLE from amazon.com: "No Lifeguard on Duty", the second book in the Black Horse Campground series, from Oak Tree Press!
Old Apr 6, '09, 2:53 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

There are few ways more profound to meditate on the life of Jesus than the recitation of the Holy Rosary. In fact, there are a number of books on praying a "scriptural rosary" which weaves in meditations straight from the Bible as you pray. Try it!
Old Apr 6, '09, 3:46 pm
Forum Supporter

You can find a lot of the scripture verse Rosary links online, I downloaded/printed some and we use them with our family Rosary nightly. The kids are getting scripture memorized and it seems to make it 'fit in' better for us than just reciting it. I may look for another version later to let them memorize some more.

We also alternate once in awhile with the links from Priests for Life for the Rosary and Stations of the Cross (when we go on our own), which is a nice change of pace.

Also, the DeMontfor book is great for initially 'getting into it'. That is what got me started and now I do at least 1 a day and usually 3.

Last edited by Claymont79; Apr 6, '09 at 3:47 pm. Reason: forgot info
Old Apr 6, '09, 3:48 pm

The only thing to fear about the Rosary is the amazing power contained within the meditations and prayers. St. Padre Pio would bellow through the monastery, "Bring me my weapon" as he knew the power of this simple meditation.

There is no better way to meditate upon the life of Jesus Christ then through the eyes of His mother, Mary! The church is not sola scriptura ~ therefore you shouldn't be either.

PRAY THE ROSARY! Save souls here on earth and ease the suffering of those in purgatory! DO NOT BE AFRAID!! The late great John Paul II prayed all four mysteries every day...if its good enough for him, certainy its good enough for us.

Read St. Luis de Montfort as well! Totus Tuus!!

Old Apr 6, '09, 5:55 pm

Thank you all so much for your replies here! It means the world. I guess the real problem I have with it is the Hail Mary. Don't get me wrong, I adore and love Mary. From what I read in the Bible I do not quite believe that she was without sin. Jesus is our savior from sin and Mary calls God her savior. I am really confused on this. This is very important to me at a time in the world where I feel it is crucial. Yet, I want to pray as much as possible. Alot of people get angry with me when I ask this question. Nobody really answers it. So I am asking here because I know I will find the right answer. I hope in my heart that it involves praying the Rosary. Thank you!
Old Apr 6, '09, 6:00 pm

It sounds like you are a convert to the faith. I will pray for you that the Holy Spirit will fill you with the knowledge and wisdom of Our Blessed Mother.

Peace and blessings to you on your journey home to the Catholic faith!

Old Apr 6, '09, 7:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaslugmom View Post
It sounds like you are a convert to the faith. I will pray for you that the Holy Spirit will fill you with the knowledge and wisdom of Our Blessed Mother.

Peace and blessings to you on your journey home to the Catholic faith!
Hi Bananaslugmom!

Thanks for your reply. I am not a convert to the faith. The Holy Spirit has been in my life from as long as I can remember, that is a fact. I guess I am just lost at the moment.
Old Apr 6, '09, 7:37 pm

Quote:
Thank you all so much for your replies here! It means the world. I guess the real problem I have with it is the Hail Mary. Don't get me wrong, I adore and love Mary. From what I read in the Bible I do not quite believe that she was without sin. Jesus is our savior from sin and Mary calls God her savior. I am really confused on this. This is very important to me at a time in the world where I feel it is crucial. Yet, I want to pray as much as possible. Alot of people get angry with me when I ask this question. Nobody really answers it. So I am asking here because I know I will find the right answer. I hope in my heart that it involves praying the Rosary. Thank you!
God is Mary's Savior even though she is without sin. Think of it this way...

Let's say that water represents sin. We (humanity) are in a great big swimming pool. Each of us enters this swimming pool at birth. If an individual starts to go under he can be SAVED by the Lifeguard (Christ). Now let's say that someone (Mary in this case) approaches the swimming pool but is stopped from entering it by the Lifeguard (Christ - God). It can then be said that Christ (who is God) did indeed Save Mary from Sin BEFORE she entered into it rather than after. Either way, Christ is the Savior.

God bless.
Old Apr 6, '09, 7:44 pm
Banned

Religion: Non-Believer

Quote:
Kind of an odd statement for a Catholic to make, as Catholics follow the Bible and Church tradition.

No?
Old Apr 6, '09, 7:49 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Hi, I think that maybe it would help you to read some apologetics see Mary being without sin, doesn't mean that she wasn't saved or that Jesus is not her Savior!! In fact the Church has always taught that Jesus IS Mary's Savior, and that she was saved by His merits, therefore she correctly calls Him her Savior... the crucial point is that her salvation happened right at her conception that is what is meant by Immaculate Conception. She was saved just like us, only at a different time!! This is actually to honour Jesus... because He would be dishonored being born of a sinner. Mary is the ark of the New Covenant... you might remember from the Old Testament, the Ark was treated with lots of reverence because of what is contained. So Mary is treated with reverence because of her role as His Mother. Her being so pure honors Christ...and God made her pure for this reason. THe angel called her.."full of grace". The Greek word for this implies her being completely filled with grace, to the point of there simply not being any 'room' for sin in her...there's nothing in her blocking her from God.. and that means she is sinless. Just remember, it all goes back to Christ.

As for the Rosary... it's all from the Bible! every line.

We ask Mary to pray for us cause her prayers are really powerful and she leads us closer to Christ.. "do whatever He tells you". That is why the Rosary is our 'weapon'. Cause Mary can fight the battle better than we can.

As for the Bible... we NEED a way to interpret it. The Protestants go by "Bible alone" but they all interpret it in their own way and there's a lot of division as a result. God is not the author of division and confusion. The Church however, is one.. and united in doctrine. The Church interprets the Bible correctly, the way it has for 2000 years... so we need to look at Tradition too. It's also from the Holy Spirit, so it doesn't contradict Scripture. Tradition is not just customs (like not eating meat on fridays) but the teachings of the Church...

In fact, the Bible supports this.. it says the Church is the pillar and foundation of all truth, and that we should stay true to the teachings that were passed down to us by word OR by letter Bible is the 'letter', and Tradition is the 'word'.

That being said, the entire Rosary is based on Scripture so don't fear to pray it!!

God bless!

"I know but one thing now - to love Thee, O Jesus!" St Therese
Old Apr 6, '09, 7:59 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
God is Mary's Savoir.

God is not bound by time. The salvivic work of Christ on the Cross is not for only those who were born after the crucifixion. Mary was saved by that same Cross of her Son and God preserved her from the stain of original sin "Immaculate Conception" because of the coming of her Son into her womb.

If I have stated something wrong here - please someone correct me - but this is how I understand it.

When I pray the rosary - because I know the prayers by heart - I find myself saying the words and not thinking of them so much but it rather helps me to concentrate my mind on God. My mind rises to God.

Try doing this. Close your eyes while saying the rosary. You might want to picture yourself in some holy church in candle light. Put on some Gregorian chant down low. You might also want to light a candle in a darkened room and have a holy picture or crucifix there. Let yourself settle and calm in the thought of God and holiness. The rosary to me is more a wish to be in communion with God. It sounds like you really want to do that. The rosary will help you spend more time with God. Spontaneous prayers are certainly good - all prayer is....but if you want to spend a longer period of time in prayer - this is a great help.

May the Holy Spirit come to you in the quiet.

Hopper
Old Apr 6, '09, 8:02 pm
Book Club Member

Monica, seems you and I posted at the same time and said basically the same thing!

Hopper

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism