Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 8, '09, 4:40 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: TAC >>> Maronite Catholic
Default He hid himself - His time had not yet come yet...

My Brothers and Sisters:

As we prepare to enter the Easter Triduum, there is something we should consider something from John's Gospel, and some episodes from our Lord's ministry (All RSV-CE unless noted otherwise):
So they sought to arrest him; but no one laid hands on him, because his hour had not yet come. John 7:30

Some of them wanted to arrest him, but no one laid hands on him. The officers then went back to the chief priests and Pharisees, who said to them, "Why did you not bring him?" The officers answered, "No man ever spoke like this man!" John 7:44-46

These words he spoke in the treasury, as he taught in the temple; but no one arrested him, because his hour had not yet come. John 8:20
His Time had not yet come, so NO ONE could lay hands on Him! NO ONE was allowed to harm our Lord until He allowed it!
And they rose up and put him out of the city, and led him to the brow of the hill on which their city was built, that they might throw him down headlong. But passing through the midst of them he went away. Luke 4:29-30

So they took up stones to throw at him; but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple. John 8:59

The Jews took up stones again to stone him... Again they tried to arrest him, but he escaped from their hands. He went away again across the Jordan to the place where John at first baptized, and there he remained.
John 10:30, 39-40

See what happened when our Lord decided to allow it - And, He knew what was going to befall Him, the absolute agony (See these articles about the Man in the Shroud, and Crucifixion - the 2nd includes links), the shame and embarrassment, our sins that He was going to bear and those who were going to reject His sacrifice:
Then Jesus, knowing all that was to befall him, came forward and said to them, "Whom do you seek?" They answered him, "Jesus of Nazareth." Jesus said to them, "I am he." Judas, who betrayed him, was standing with them. When he said to them, "I am he," they drew back and fell to the ground. Again he asked them, "Whom do you seek?" And they said, "Jesus of Nazareth." Jesus answered, "I told you that I am he; so, if you seek me, let these men go." This was to fulfill the word which he had spoken, "Of those whom thou gavest me I lost not one." Then Simon Peter, having a sword, drew it and struck the high priest's slave and cut off his right ear. The slave's name was Malchus. Jesus said to Peter, "Put your sword into its sheath; shall I not drink the cup which the Father has given me?" So the band of soldiers and their captain and the officers of the Jews seized Jesus and bound him.
John 18:4-12

And all that dwell upon the earth adored him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb, which was slain from the beginning of the world.
Apoc. 13:8 DR
St. John of the Cross had a vision of our Lord Jesus in which he saw our Lord bound to the cross, not by the Roman nails and the ropes they tied Him on with, but by His infinite love for us. Prayers for Good Friday say:
Almighty God, we pray you graciously to behold this your family, for whom our Lord Jesus Christ was willing to be betrayed, and given into the hands of sinners, and to suffer death upon the cross; who now lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Father, look with love on your people,

the love which our Lord Jesus Christ showed us
when he delivered himself up
and suffered the agony of the cross,
for he lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
This will probably blow some of your minds, but I want you to meditate and contemplate on this during the next few days. NOTHING that was done to our Lord Jesus was done without His willing it - NOTHING! NOTHING that was doing to our Lord was done without His foreknowledge - NOTHING! and, EVERYTHING that He allowed to be done to Him He allowed to be done because of His infinite love for us.

As many of the Church Fathers and Archbishop Fulton Sheen have pointed out, Our Lord's first throne is a Cross, and His first crown is a Crown of Thorns... all of which He submitted to knowingly and willingly.

As you think on our Lord's pain and suffering, think that He suffered it for us.

Your Brother and Servant in Christ, Michael
"I looked for a man among them who would build up the wall and stand before me in the gap on behalf of the land so I would not have to destroy it... Ezekiel 22:30 NIV
Old Apr 8, '09, 5:13 am
Banned

Religion: catholic
Default Re: He hid himself - His time had not yet come yet...

it makes me wander the 1 billion religious people that copy the beliefes of the bible by examples of jesuses experience are we too fall in 'crusifiction' state. such as the worlds preperation of testing us here at this site according to the time god allows, in similarance as in job.

for it is written judge and you will be judged in equal measurement
it is also written we one day will be in charge of angels
it is also written we will be judged in government courts by our religious peers.

I believe jesus actually bit off more then he could chew in the senario i believe the miraculous positive difference society could of achieved if only jesuses time was to be old and grey and fullfilling life.

in such days taxes would be a thing of the past
Old Apr 8, '09, 5:37 am
Banned

a very well put together angle in an essay i could probabbly not write not knowing scripture that well. do you have anymore examples or links. id love to use this as an example for an essay i didnt like the other i posted today however ill probabbly rewrite it without moth or rust but i dont want it too long so it might take a long time.

congratualations again hope i inspired you to post it
Old Apr 8, '09, 9:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional Ang View Post
My Brothers and Sisters:

As we prepare to enter the Easter Triduum, there is something we should consider something from John's Gospel, and some episodes from our Lord's ministry (All RSV-CE unless noted otherwise):
So they sought to arrest him; but no one laid hands on him, because his hour had not yet come. John 7:30

Some of them wanted to arrest him, but no one laid hands on him. The officers then went back to the chief priests and Pharisees, who said to them, "Why did you not bring him?" The officers answered, "No man ever spoke like this man!" John 7:44-46

These words he spoke in the treasury, as he taught in the temple; but no one arrested him, because his hour had not yet come. John 8:20
His Time had not yet come, so NO ONE could lay hands on Him! NO ONE was allowed to harm our Lord until He allowed it!
And they rose up and put him out of the city, and led him to the brow of the hill on which their city was built, that they might throw him down headlong. But passing through the midst of them he went away. Luke 4:29-30

So they took up stones to throw at him; but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple. John 8:59

The Jews took up stones again to stone him... Again they tried to arrest him, but he escaped from their hands. He went away again across the Jordan to the place where John at first baptized, and there he remained.
John 10:30, 39-40

See what happened when our Lord decided to allow it - And, He knew what was going to befall Him, the absolute agony (See these articles about the Man in the Shroud, and Crucifixion - the 2nd includes links), the shame and embarrassment, our sins that He was going to bear and those who were going to reject His sacrifice:
Then Jesus, knowing all that was to befall him, came forward and said to them, "Whom do you seek?" They answered him, "Jesus of Nazareth." Jesus said to them, "I am he." Judas, who betrayed him, was standing with them. When he said to them, "I am he," they drew back and fell to the ground. Again he asked them, "Whom do you seek?" And they said, "Jesus of Nazareth." Jesus answered, "I told you that I am he; so, if you seek me, let these men go." This was to fulfill the word which he had spoken, "Of those whom thou gavest me I lost not one." Then Simon Peter, having a sword, drew it and struck the high priest's slave and cut off his right ear. The slave's name was Malchus. Jesus said to Peter, "Put your sword into its sheath; shall I not drink the cup which the Father has given me?" So the band of soldiers and their captain and the officers of the Jews seized Jesus and bound him.
John 18:4-12

And all that dwell upon the earth adored him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb, which was slain from the beginning of the world.
Apoc. 13:8 DR
St. John of the Cross had a vision of our Lord Jesus in which he saw our Lord bound to the cross, not by the Roman nails and the ropes they tied Him on with, but by His infinite love for us. Prayers for Good Friday say:
Almighty God, we pray you graciously to behold this your family, for whom our Lord Jesus Christ was willing to be betrayed, and given into the hands of sinners, and to suffer death upon the cross; who now lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Father, look with love on your people,

the love which our Lord Jesus Christ showed us
when he delivered himself up
and suffered the agony of the cross,
for he lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
This will probably blow some of your minds, but I want you to meditate and contemplate on this during the next few days. NOTHING that was done to our Lord Jesus was done without His willing it - NOTHING! NOTHING that was doing to our Lord was done without His foreknowledge - NOTHING! and, EVERYTHING that He allowed to be done to Him He allowed to be done because of His infinite love for us.

As many of the Church Fathers and Archbishop Fulton Sheen have pointed out, Our Lord's first throne is a Cross, and His first crown is a Crown of Thorns... all of which He submitted to knowingly and willingly.

As you think on our Lord's pain and suffering, think that He suffered it for us.

Your Brother and Servant in Christ, Michael
Jesus was waiting for the Kairos

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture