Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Apr 9, '09, 2:18 pm

Religion: Ukrainian Orthodox canonical
Default Annunciation

7 Aprel 2009 - Feast of Annunciation Благовещение

Major feast which allows some interruption to Great Fast. On this feast we are reminded that man is now going to be freed from sin and be able to go to heaven. As ancient symbol of this on this day birds (doves) are set free from their cages to fly toward heaven (sky). Patriarch Kirill has done this after Liturgy in Kreml church of the Announciation.

Old Apr 10, '09, 5:42 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: non- Non-Catholic
Post Re: Annunciation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volodymyr View Post
7 Aprel 2009 - Feast of Annunciation ????????????

Major feast which allows some interruption to Great Fast. On this feast we are reminded that man is now going to be freed from sin and be able to go to heaven. As ancient symbol of this on this day birds (doves) are set free from their cages to fly toward heaven (sky). Patriarch Kirill has done this after Liturgy in Kreml church of the Announciation.

Great pictures, Volodymyr. I'm a little surprised, though, that this was on April 7. I was under the impression that the Russian Orthodox celebrate Christmas on December 25 and the Annunciation on March 25, like we do in the West. Well, live and learn I guess.

"Pastoral activity in the Catholic Church, Latin as well as Eastern, no longer aims at having the faithful of one Church pass over to the other"
- the Balamand Statement

Inklings group
Old Apr 10, '09, 7:58 pm

Religion: Ukrainian Orthodox canonical
Default Re: Annunciation

ORTHODOX KALENDAR

Of course we do celebrate on March 25 the announciation - but April 7 (Gregorian or modern style) is the date of March 25 (Julian or old style). Russian Church uses Julian calendar for all year - so is different. For Russians, Christmas is always after State New Year (Jan 1 New Style), on December 25 (Old style; Jan 7 New style). There are other old-kalendar Orthodox churches also, but some also use Gregorian calendar.
Old Apr 10, '09, 9:17 pm

Religion: Orthodox Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J View Post
Great pictures, Volodymyr. I'm a little surprised, though, that this was on April 7. I was under the impression that the Russian Orthodox celebrate Christmas on December 25 and the Annunciation on March 25, like we do in the West. Well, live and learn I guess.
They do celebrate on March 25. The question, of course, is: exactly which day is March 25?
Old Mar 25, '10, 2:42 am

Religion: Überzeugter Katholik

I have a question. How comes this feast is celebrated after Christmas? The annunciation is logically supposed to come before Christmas. So why is it celebrated after Christmas (in March)
Old Mar 25, '10, 3:44 am

Religion: Überzeugter Katholik

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvinf View Post
I have a question. How comes this feast is celebrated after Christmas? The annunciation is logically supposed to come before Christmas. So why is it celebrated after Christmas (in March)
Oh, someone already helped me out with this. I was actually thinking of the just past xmas (3 months ago) instead of the one coming up in 9 months time. It happens
Old Mar 25, '10, 11:30 am

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volodymyr View Post
7 Aprel 2009 - Feast of Annunciation Благовещение

Isn't it great that the celebration took place publicly after all the years that religious celebrations had to be kind of underground, and if they were public, that the church should not accept more showing faithful or else...? Slava Tebe Bozhe!

"Love and Truth meet,
Justice and Peace embrace." (Psalm 85)
Old Mar 25, '10, 12:40 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

thank you for the great pictures, first time I had seen the blue vestments--terrific

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions