Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 13, '09, 5:59 am
Banned

Religion: Bible believing Christian.
Default Lord, I am not worthy to receive you; but only say the word and I shall be healed.

If we are not to receive Holy Communion in an unworthy manner, then why are we saying this right before communion? It just doesn't seem right.

Old Apr 13, '09, 6:22 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: joyfully Catholic
Default Re: Lord, I am not worthy to receive you; but only say the word and I shall be healed.

Who of us is perfect!
We are asking God to heal and purify anything in us that is in the least unworthy before we receive Communion.
as if each person is the only loved one.
JESUS please welcome each person with love, healing, and great joy!
Thank You JESUS

Mother Mary at the wedding feast of Cana (John 2:1-12)
though JESUS protested it was not yet time for miracles
you successfully interceded with Him for a family's temporal need
please now intercede with your divine Son
for each person's temporal and spiritual needs.
Thank you Mother

JESUS please grant our prayer for this person

Catechism of the Catholic Church http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM
Old Apr 13, '09, 6:24 am

Religion: RC
Default Re: Lord, I am not worthy to receive you; but only say the word and I shall be healed.

I think the answer lies in the difference in our inherant unworthiness vs. our possibly receiving in an unworthy state of mind or heart:

We by nature are not worthy to receive any sort of sacramental grace from the Almighty. The statement that we say during mass reflects this.

In addition, we can approach the sacrament with an "unworthy" disposition; unconfessed mortal sin, unrepentant attitude, etc. This is not reflected in that statement, and it seems that's where your concern lies.
Old Apr 13, '09, 6:30 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLM08 View Post
If we are not to receive Holy Communion in an unworthy manner, then why are we saying this right before communion? It just doesn't seem right.

even when we've been to Confession and even if we have spent hours in prayer and fasting, we still won't be WORTHY, meaning that we still won't deserve the Body and Blood of Our Lord.. that's what it means we can't be worthy, though we CAN receive worthily. (and should)

"I know but one thing now - to love Thee, O Jesus!" St Therese
Old Apr 13, '09, 7:24 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Catholic - no buts.

As catholics, we are not to receive communion if we are aware of MORTAL sin (or potentially thereof) on our consience.

Venial sin, sadly, happens pretty much all the time and is NOT a barrier to receiving communion. Quite the opposite, the penitential rite and reception of the Eucharist imparts Grace that forgives and heals venial sin.

So unless you've been utterly perfect since your last confession, you (and I) badly need that portion of the mass.
Old Apr 13, '09, 7:28 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
This prayer comes from Matt 8:8. See Matt 8:5-13 for the story of Jesus healing the centurion's servant. The Lord said He would go to cure the servant, but the centurion said in reply that he was not worthy to have Jesus enter under his roof. The centurion recognized Jesus was one with authority--that whatever Jesus said would be done. "Only say the word and the servant shall be healed." Jesus praised the centurion's great faith, and the servant was healed that very hour.
Old Apr 13, '09, 8:44 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie2 View Post
I think the answer lies in the difference in our inherant unworthiness vs. our possibly receiving in an unworthy state of mind or heart:

We by nature are not worthy to receive any sort of sacramental grace from the Almighty. The statement that we say during mass reflects this.

In addition, we can approach the sacrament with an "unworthy" disposition; unconfessed mortal sin, unrepentant attitude, etc. This is not reflected in that statement, and it seems that's where your concern lies.
Good answer.
GIRM
Old Apr 13, '09, 9:00 am

Quote:

Bad translation. It should read "Lord I am not worthy that Thou shouldst enter under my roof; but only say the word and my soul shall be healed"

As said above, it echos the Centurion's prayer, and reflects our unworthiness. It is not a penitential right, and does not lead to the forgiveness of sin.

The Eucharist itself absolves venial sin, but mortal sin needs to be absolved in confession.

God Bless
Old Apr 13, '09, 12:00 pm

Religion: Catholic (revert)

Quote:

What do you mean "not to receive Holy Communion in an unworthy manner"? What teaching exactly are you referring to?

G.K. Chesterton
Old Apr 13, '09, 8:56 pm

1 Corinthians 11:27-32
Old Apr 13, '09, 9:00 pm
Forum Master

Oh. I thought this thread was about me!

Carry on.

NotWorthy
Old Apr 13, '09, 9:02 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by VociMike View Post
What do you mean "not to receive Holy Communion in an unworthy manner"? What teaching exactly are you referring to?
Are you in a state of mortal sin?

Also, this is what Jesus is referring to in his talk about forgiveness.

If you go up to the altar to make Sacrifice and remember that you bear a grudge against your brother, immediately go and make amends with your brother. (paraphrasing).
Old Apr 13, '09, 9:04 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilop View Post
Bad translation. It should read "Lord I am not worthy that Thou shouldst enter under my roof; but only say the word and my soul shall be healed"

As said above, it echos the Centurion's prayer, and reflects our unworthiness. It is not a penitential right, and does not lead to the forgiveness of sin.

The Eucharist itself absolves venial sin, but mortal sin needs to be absolved in confession.

God Bless
True, regarding the bad translation, and I understand it may be changed back to the original wording - or at least a more accurate wording, if not perfect.

My thoughts during this time of the Mass are more like the leper's - "Lord, if you will, you can make me clean".
Old Apr 13, '09, 11:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotWorthy View Post
True, regarding the bad translation, and I understand it may be changed back to the original wording - or at least a more accurate wording, if not perfect.
From the Parts of the Order of the Mass study text (PDF), available at the USCCB website, the new translation is:

Quote:
132. The Priest genuflects, takes the host and, holding it slightly raised above the paten or
above the chalice, while facing the people, says aloud:

Behold the Lamb of God,
behold him who takes away the sins of the world.
Blessed are those called to the supper of the Lamb.

And together with the people he adds once:

Lord, I am not worthy
that you should enter under my roof,
but only say the word
and my soul shall be healed.
Old Apr 14, '09, 3:27 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalGBear View Post
From the Parts of the Order of the Mass study text (PDF), available at the USCCB website, the new translation is:
OK, I like that. I understand it can't be perfectly Scriptural, for the people in the pews would be saying, "Who is my servant"?

BTW, when do these new ordinances go into effect? I understand the Nicene Creed is going to go from "We Believe..." to "I Believe....", is that correct? (I know.... read the link you provided...... well, when I have time, I will!). If so, I prefer, "We believe..." simply because it makes it a more communal prayer. I'm tired of people thinking, "It's just between me and Christ". The Body of Christ is a community.

...... just my two cents worth.

Ooh! Ooh! I almost forgot. Thanks for the link.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics