Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 20, '09, 8:27 am

Religion: Catholic
Default "Jesus, meek and humble of heart" What does it mean to you?

We address Jesus in this way in an oft-repeated aspiration: "Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine." It is also at the beginning of the lovely Litany of Humility.

In what ways do you see Him as meek and humble? How do you reconcile it with His authority? Looking forward to your thoughts. Thanks.

Betsy

Baltimore Catholics join me here!
Old Apr 20, '09, 8:32 am

Default Re: "Jesus, meek and humble of heart" What does it mean to you?

I want to share something I wrote on my blog at bonumteesse.blogspot.com.

Bellum ad Verbum: Meek
"War for a word"

So have you ever been talking with your friend and just started arguing for seemingly no reason? Did you disagree with your friend and gone on to fight about it for the longest time? Maybe you resolved it, maybe not. I can offer a significant guarantee that you were fighting over the meaning of a word.

In addition, for those of us fighting for the culture of life, we know how important words and their meanings are. We have seen it used against us: "reproductive health." But we have also used it ourselves: "pro-life." How many battles do you see being waged against the false meaning of "reproductive health," somehow suggesting that abortion is a matter of "health?" How many battles do you see being waged against the term "pro-life," suggesting that being pro-life means being first and foremost "pro-mother?"

Battles for words occur all the time.

One important word that I want to fight for today is the word "meek." I will present both sides.

The first is probably the most common usage:

* humble in spirit or manner; suggesting retiring mildness or even cowed submissiveness; "meek and self-effacing"
* very docile; "tame obedience"; "meek as a mouse"- Langston Hughes
* evidencing little spirit or courage; overly submissive or compliant; "compliant and anxious to suit his opinions of those of others"; "a fine fiery blast against meek conformity"- Orville Prescott; "she looked meek but had the heart of a lion"; "was submissive and subservient"
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Because this is what we think of when we think of "meek," when we read Jesus' Sermon on the Mount, we might be turned off or think that Jesus wants to be pushovers.

Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth. (Matthew 5:5)

On the contrary, the best definition of meek I got was from one of my theology professors: "To be meek is to be like a rock, unmoved by the ocean waves."

Psalm 37:10-11 reads:

In just a little while, the wicked will be no more; though you look carefully at his place, he will not be there. But the meek shall inherit the land and delight themselves in abundant peace.

While those who are evil are caught up in the world and tossed side to side, it is the meek who remain grounded and firm in the face of adversity. They defend "the land" with steadfastness and honor and shall inherit it when the time comes.

Benedict writes the following:

Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the church is often labeled today as fundamentalism. Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along by every wind of teaching, looks like the only attitude acceptable to today's standards.

Benedict calls us to meekness.

Jesus was meek. He held firm to his promises and followed his Father's will. Although the non-Christian might be tempted to think that Jesus' crucifixion was a sign of weakness and "cowed submissiveness," we know that Jesus was the strongest person, of heart and mind, that has ever walked this earth.

Be meek and be proud of it.
Old Apr 20, '09, 8:39 am

Wow, thanks, Zahmir. That was a wonderful treatment of "meekness." When you say Benedict, do you refer to the Holy Father?

Betsy

Baltimore Catholics join me here!
Old Apr 20, '09, 8:44 am

Betsy,

Yep. Benedict XVI. :-) He's a good guy.
Old Apr 20, '09, 9:08 am

That lovely phrase from the Litany of Humility!

I never had thought of it quite the way you explained it Zahmir. It makes more sense to me now. I always believed that it meant those who who did quietly, held their ground and did not give up not matter what was happening. Jesus talked, not screaming loudly or getting armies together to prove His point. He did by example.

Now I have a way to explain it properly. Thanks again!

God Bless!

"Pray Unceasingly" St. Paul the Apostle
Old Apr 20, '09, 9:15 am
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic-Latin Rite

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltobetsy View Post
We address Jesus in this way in an oft-repeated aspiration: "Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine." It is also at the beginning of the lovely Litany of Humility.

In what ways do you see Him as meek and humble? How do you reconcile it with His authority? Looking forward to your thoughts. Thanks.

Betsy
To me it means that He is totally approachable and totally lovable. He is Just but He is also Merciful.

Jesus is Mercy Itself. He knows our hearts and is the only one who can read our heart and knows our life totally.

He would know why someone whose actions look totally the opposite of what WE would think someone ought to be like. He alone understands our actions. He alone recognizes true sorrow. He acts in the Priest when we go to Confession and confess our sins to HIM.
He has given the Priest HIS authority to forgive...He is present in all of His Sacraments, acting in and with and through them.

When I say "make my heart like unto thine"...what I mean is help me to be loving and forgiving like YOU, help me to recognize that people need loving the most when they appear to deserve it the least.

"His Mercy Endures Forever".

"A child is God's greatest gift to the family, to the nation, to the world. The child is a life from God, created in the image of God, created for great things, to love and to be loved."--Blessed Mother Teresa
Old Apr 20, '09, 11:54 am

Religion: Catholic! Praise be to God!

I think of two things. One is how Christ made Himself a nothing on Earth, from His birth to His Cross, and the other is how He came down from Heaven. It never struck me before this Lent how incredible that humbling of the self must have been. He was in glory above all things, utterly magnificent and infinite in splendor, but He emptied Himself of everything to become a nothing on Earth. If I were to step down from my middle class, comfortable lifestyle and become an impoverished beggar, that would be a tremendous step down for me. One I can't imagine taking. For a president of an IGO to do that, this would be even harder, because they're used to that much more power and influence. For God, who is infinite and beyond everything, to empty Himself to the lowliness of an itty bitty human being is therefore humility beyond imagination.

And that's without even considering how deeply He lowered Himself among the children of men, on Earth.
Old Apr 17, '10, 5:49 pm
Observing Member

Hello Leif,

Thanks for posting this about meekness. You have blessed me in ways that I cannot express in words. God has used your post to draw me closer to the truth, Christ himself. Thank you again and God bless.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality