Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 21, '09, 5:33 pm
Observing Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Good Confession or Bad Confession?

Hi,

I have a very nit-picky and scrupulous question, but it's bothering me:

I went to confession about two days ago, and made a good confession (told all my sins, was repentant, etc.) but for some reason, without even thinking about it, i told the priest it had been 3 weeks since my last confession. The thing is, in reality it had only been 1 week but i think subconsciously i didn't want to sound like a nut that comes to confession like every week, especially since i really didnt have much to confess and i sometimes get the impression that priests think i'm wasting their time. this wasn't a pre-meditated lie, but it just popped out and i didn't even think about it as a lie until afterward.

so the question is - is a lie during confession (one which doesn't involve the actual confessing part but is told during the preliminaries) a mortal sin? i mean, do i need to confess it (at this point i'll have to say "2 days"!) before i can take communion?

Thanks-
Camille
Old Apr 21, '09, 5:36 pm

Default Re: Good Confession or Bad Confession?

Quote:
Originally Posted by camillevincent View Post
Hi,

I have a very nit-picky and scrupulous question, but it's bothering me:

I went to confession about two days ago, and made a good confession (told all my sins, was repentant, etc.) but for some reason, without even thinking about it, i told the priest it had been 3 weeks since my last confession. The thing is, in reality it had only been 1 week but i think subconsciously i didn't want to sound like a nut that comes to confession like every week, especially since i really didnt have much to confess and i sometimes get the impression that priests think i'm wasting their time. this wasn't a pre-meditated lie, but it just popped out and i didn't even think about it as a lie until afterward.

so the question is - is a lie during confession (one which doesn't involve the actual confessing part but is told during the preliminaries) a mortal sin? i mean, do i need to confess it (at this point i'll have to say "2 days"!) before i can take communion?

Thanks-
Camille
No, you're being scrupulous. You didn't lie intentionally, you misspoke. You can't sin subconsciously. Don't worry.

God Bless
Old Apr 21, '09, 5:53 pm
Prayer Warrior

I did the same thing last week. First, I got an elderly priest and it went like this:

"Bless me Father...its been a week...
I have some unconfessed sins I need to confess"

The priest then instructed me to pray the Act of Contrition and Absolved me... before I had even confessed anything.

I came out of the confessional confused and still feeling like I needed to confess, so I went over to the next confessional. When Father asked when my last confession was I said a week.... even though it really had only been a few minutes.

What say ye about this one?
Old Apr 21, '09, 6:47 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Cradle Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmith17 View Post
I did the same thing last week. First, I got an elderly priest and it went like this:

The priest then instructed me to pray the Act of Contrition and Absolved me... before I had even confessed anything.

I came out of the confessional confused and still feeling like I needed to confess, so I went over to the next confessional. When Father asked when my last confession was I said a week.... even though it really had only been a few minutes.

If you would have said, it's been 3 minutes since my last Confession, he would have probably been very interested in what you did just walking down the hall outside of his Confessional...

Please consider becoming a Prayer Warrior, your prayers are needed.
Old Apr 21, '09, 6:48 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic, Latin Rite

Quote:

Fine. I've heard that the "proper matter" for this sacrament is saying your sins, and so thinking the same thing, you acted in good faith in actually verbalizing your sins to God.

A forum for Discerning the Priesthood is now open!
Old Apr 21, '09, 7:02 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:

The old formula used to be 'it has been x weeks since my last GOOD confession' - obviously you were doubtful of the validity of the first confession, so you weren't wrong.

To the original question - John Paul II and Mother Teresa both confessed at least weekly, if not more often, so no priest should think that weekly confession is too often, and neither should you.

In fact Padre Pio recommended it 'if you want to be a saint', which is what we all need to be striving for, since no-one gets to heaven except they're a saint.

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old Apr 21, '09, 7:22 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

I haven't been in two weeks, and it feels like forever. I love weekly confession. It's humbling if nothing else.
Old Apr 21, '09, 7:29 pm

Well, last week I went to confession on Friday morning... and had to go again on Saturday morning. Stupid persistent sins.

Needless to say, it was a bit embarrassing telling the priest it had been 24 hours since my last confession... I considered it additional penance for being a moron.

Fortunately I didn't have the same priest as the day before

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments