Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 16, '05, 5:56 am

Religion: Catholic (Eastern)
Default Explaining Rosary to Protestants

I'm not sure if I should have posted in Spirituality or here; I tried Spirituality yesterday, but when I checked, my post wasn't there, so I'll try here -- perhaps I'll get it right this time.

Anyway, I'm employed by a Protestant "church". Months ago, at a staff Bible study, when we were reading about "vain and repititious" prayers, a member of their clergy remarked: "yep, just like the Catholics with their rosaries." I pulled mine out of my pocket and said, "if you don't understand it, I'll be happy to explain it to you." The subject was quickly changed, and a couple of staffers asked me about it later in passing, but were turned off by the Marian nature of the prayers, so the subject was dropped.

Well, in the last four days, I've been approached seriously by 3 members of the staff and one member of their diocese, who are seriously interested in learning to pray the rosary. Since the cirumstances were in the midst of a busy work week, I Xeroxed a pamphlet I happened to have outlining the prayers and the mysteries, told them to follow the instructions and try it out, and set up a lunch date with each individual inquirer for next week.

Don't want this attempt to fail like the last time. . . Where do I begin? Recommendations on readings, etc. would be helpful. And ideas on how to present the Mother of God to Protestants would be really helpful!

Thanks!
Old Jan 16, '05, 6:31 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Explaining Rosary to Protestants

This is how I have explained it...

I say "I'm meditating on and praying the Scriptures with the "Hail Marys" as background music ...
And, at the same time I am giving praise to the Trinity and praying the "Our Father" as Jesus commanded us to do.... I'm also reminded of what we believe as Christians in reciting the Apostle's Creed...
Old Jan 16, '05, 6:47 am

Religion: Catholic

Super, Kaygee:
I'd pray the Holy Spirit is there with me when I try to explain the rosary.

And I'd know the biblical references to the prayers that have them and all the mysteries.

I think the idea of Mary helping us draw closer to her Son is fundamental to the Church's view of Mary and the rosary...and I hope they get it.

Good luck.

Flounder
Old Jan 16, '05, 7:09 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaygee

Well, in the last four days, I've been approached seriously by 3 members of the staff and one member of their diocese, who are seriously interested in learning to pray the rosary. Since the cirumstances were in the midst of a busy work week, I Xeroxed a pamphlet I happened to have outlining the prayers and the mysteries, told them to follow the instructions and try it out, and set up a lunch date with each individual inquirer for next week.

Don't want this attempt to fail like the last time. . . Where do I begin? Recommendations on readings, etc. would be helpful. And ideas on how to present the Mother of God to Protestants would be really helpful!

Thanks!
Several points need to be understood. One is that the Rosary is a personal devotion. It is one of many forms of focused prayer, the physical handling of the rosary keeps one from being distracted.

The mysteries are events in the life of CHRIST. They are the center focus of praying the Rosary not the repeated prayers.

The way we say a Rosary today is very quick and hurried and tends to focus improperly on the prayers and not the events being meditated on. To properly pray a Rosary one should not only announce the event but actually read the passages of Scripture containing that event. Then say one Hail Mary, STOP and again reflect on the Scripture passage, say another Hail Mary, STOP and again reflect on the Scripture passage. To do this would take about an hour to say one five decade Rosary but it makes much more sense.
Old Jan 16, '05, 8:08 am
Veteran Member
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic, Latin Rite

From an apologetics standpoint, be prepared to discuss the "vain repetition" objection and the (seemingly) Marian aspect of the two last glorious mysteries. Don't spend so much time that overshadows what you want to share about the blessings of saying the Rosary, just be prepared to give a simple explanation and move on, as these are two points, along with the Hail Mary itself, that non-Catholic Christians tend to fret over.

Here's a couple of (hopefully) helpful links:

http://www.catholic.com/library/Rosary.asp

http://www.scripturecatholic.com/vai...us_prayer.html

SSSC on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunday...795172?ref=sgm
Old Jan 16, '05, 9:37 am
Banned

What I did years ago in CCD was to get a piece of poster board and with markers draw a large picture of the Rosary Beads.

Then put in around the picture the prayers that are said. (Use abbreviations). Then down in a corner put the Mysteries.

They will see that Mary is leading us to her Son, Jesus! Yes, it's all about Jesus!

Be sure to use the Salutation made to Mary by the Archangel Gabriel in the Bible - ( Luke 1: 26 - 39) "Hail Mary Full of Grace".
Since she was FULL of Grace she had no room for sin!
Old Jan 16, '05, 10:48 am

This is a little of topic but does anyone else use a finger rosary?

I find this to be great for times when I am stuck in traffic or even when walking or jogging.
Old Jan 16, '05, 10:58 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael's Sword
I have at times used my fingers as a Rosary!
Old Jan 16, '05, 11:00 am

Here's the way I usually explain it: http://www.christianforums.com/showt...90&postcount=7
Old Jan 16, '05, 11:51 am

Religion: Catholic Loyal to the Pope

This might also help as to why ask Mary to pray for us. A priest friend of mine explained it this way. When the child Jesus was lost and then found, scripture says that he "...was obedient to them.... And Jesus advance in wisdom and age and favor before God and man" If Joseph was busy with his carpentry work, who was Jesus learning from but from his mother. She was the principle teacher of Jesus. Mary knows Jesus better than any of us ever will. So who best to help us learn more about Jesus and to become more like Him than His Blessed Mother. Jesus gave her to us as our Mother and what a great mother she is.
Old Jan 16, '05, 12:22 pm

The Rosary: Mary's Psalter

http://www.kensmen.com/catholic/rosary.html
Old Jan 16, '05, 12:59 pm
Forum Supporter

There's a great free download at virtualrosary.org that is a program for saying the rosary. It may be a great way to focus your protestant friends on the "bibilical" foundation of the rosary. In the program for each Hail Mary there is a reference to a bibilical verse that focuses on the particular mystery that you are to be contemplating. I installed the program on my computer at work and it helps me to say the rosary at least five times a week. Also, it literally walks the user through the entire rosary with the prayers written out and some beautiful imagery to focus on as well.

Hope it helps,

Peace and charity,
Live as free men, yet without using your freedom as a pretext for evil; but live as servants of God. (1 Pet 2:16)

And all the people went up after him, playing on pipes, and rejoicing.... (1 Kgs 1:40)
Old Jan 16, '05, 2:00 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael's Sword

I find this to be great for times when I am stuck in traffic or even when walking or jogging.
Are you speaking of a Penal Rosary? That's a ring that slips from finger to finger, with a cross and beads. It was used in Ireland when praying the Rosary was a crime, and allowed one to pray silently while appearing to be merely wearing a ring.

Crusty old Fennian that I am, I have one and sometimes use it.
Old Jan 16, '05, 2:47 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

You might want to get the type of rosary pamphlet that lists the scripture citation for each mystery, or a (slightly more expensive) scriptural rosary booklet, and explain that the rosary is an extended meditation on the major events of Jesus incarnation, birth, life, suffering, death and resurrection. Point out where the rosary prayers have their origin in the bible, and make the point the the "vain repetitious prayers" we are warned against are the prayers of pagans to their non-existent gods. We are in fact instructed to "pray without ceasing" to our God, to pray together, that includes those of us here on earth, and those in heaven including and foremost Mary and the saints.
Old Jan 16, '05, 3:53 pm

Send a message via Yahoo to mkw

When teaching a Protestant the Rosary, I would stay clear, at least in the beginning, the Glorious Mysteries, this Mystery being the most "Marian" of the four.

If they are turned off by too many Hail Mary's being recited. Why not try the Our Father Rosary. Our parish did this Rosary during Advent and we loved it.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics