Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 27, '09, 9:48 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Why do women wear a head covering in Mass?

How about getting your one year old daughter her own little veil. Perhaps she will play peek a boo with it instead and get used to having one like mommy.
Old Jun 27, '09, 4:54 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyboots View Post
How about getting your one year old daughter her own little veil. Perhaps she will play peek a boo with it instead and get used to having one like mommy.
That's a great idea. I guess I didn't think about it because I still think of her as a tiny baby! She's just started wearing a little white hat that she keeps on during Mass but I think I will have to try a little veil for her. She has a rosary and that keeps her busy during most of the Mass.

My Blog
A Snood for All Seasons
06/08 07/10 8/11 11/12 Due 10/14
Old Jun 27, '09, 5:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxWife View Post
That's a great idea. I guess I didn't think about it because I still think of her as a tiny baby! She's just started wearing a little white hat that she keeps on during Mass but I think I will have to try a little veil for her. She has a rosary and that keeps her busy during most of the Mass.
This one might actually stay on her head for a few minutes: http://www.modestyveils.com/modesty_012.htm
Old Jun 28, '09, 11:12 am

From Wikpedia:
In the Catholic Church
The requirement that women cover their heads in church was introduced as a universal law for the Latin Rite of the Church for the first time in 1917 with canon 1262 [7] of its first Code of Canon Law. It was removed in the 1983 revision of the Code, which declared the 1917 Code abrogated.[8] Some have argued that it is still obligatory, advancing several grounds for their opinion, including the claim that headcovering for women is a centennial and immemorial custom (cf. canon 5 of the Code of Canon Law)[9][10] It was never universally obligatory for members of the Eastern Catholic Churches.

In countries where women no longer as a matter of course wear hats when going outdoors, most Catholic women do not wear headcoverings in church, but many Traditionalist Catholic women do.[11] The forms range from a mantilla to a hat or a simple headscarf.

For men, the 1917 Code of Canon Law prescribed that they should uncover their heads unless approved customs of peoples were against it. In the Latin Rite of the Roman Catholic Church it is obligatory for bishops to wear the zucchetto headcovering during certain parts of the liturgy, while use of the biretta, once obligatory for all diocesan clergy (as opposed to members of religious institutes), remains permitted for them. In all rites of the Catholic Church, bishops wear a mitre or a corresponding headcovering in church

http://stlouiscatholic.blogspot.com/...ing-still.html
Old Jun 28, '09, 11:27 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: ROMAN CATHOLIC

RedSoxWife, please don't let such curiosities as to whom should wear which color head covering bother you. There is no such rule unless someone has carried it over from the "old" country.

I am unmarried and I have always, since before VII, worn a black mantilla, an ivory mantilla, and now I wear a white head covering. It is completely irrelevant and you should not concern yourself.

The fact that you wear a head covering to honor our Dear Lord is what is important.

Our Lady of the Rosary, pray for us;
Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, pray for us.
Old Jun 29, '09, 9:05 pm
Forum Supporter

I decided to try out the advice to get my one year old daughter her own veil today while she was playing at Grandma and Grandpa's house. She was playing in front of the mirror and I was packing it for an upcoming trip and I put my rectangular mantilla on her head. She was so funny. She held perfectly still and put her arms out the sides and stared and then she pointed at her reflection. When I took it to pack it a few minutes later (she kept it on) she threw herself onto the ground and burst into tears. She definitely needs her own (and I think I will take the good advice and get one with a ribbon so that it stays on!)! I just had to share that because it was so cute (sorry it's not quite on topic)! Once she starts wearing hers there will be two of us at our parish who wear headcoverings!

My Blog
A Snood for All Seasons
06/08 07/10 8/11 11/12 Due 10/14
Old Jun 29, '09, 9:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristopher View Post
Women wear a head covering at mass, and the reasons might actually vary; however, it is to signify to men, that when and / or if they should become head of a household, they are too follow Jesus--to better serve their wife and children as head of the household.
it comes from the letter of paul... that they most wear a veil...
Old Jun 30, '09, 7:36 pm

1 Corinthians 11...

Many dispute that Paul was speaking of veiling or covering. Some believe it was a cultural custom of which we need not do. Others say Paul was speaking about long hair on a woman, that she should not cut her hair.

I wear my scarf, veil, mantilla etc. to mass and at anytime I am in proximity to the Blessed Sacrament. I think Paul meant it exactly as it says. Women should cover their heads. But I am no scholar. And I am no judge. I will wear my covering and will not judge you if you do or do not.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments