Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 23, '09, 1:14 pm

Default Vicariate of Rome concludes investigation of Miles Jesu

http://clericalwhispers.blogspot.com...ver-miles.html
Quote:
After an investigation into Miles Jesu by the Vicariate of Rome and the Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life started in June of 2007, Cardinal Agostino Vallini, Cardinal Vicar of the Diocese of Rome has decided to appoint an external superior over Miles Jesu. He will take the place of Fr. Mark Gelis, M.J. who was previously the General Director of Miles Jesu.

In Fr. Gelis's letter on the Miles Jesu website, he makes it sound like this act of appointing an external superior over Miles Jesu is just a matter of "special assistance" for "accompanying us in the further development of our programs for admission and formation of candidates as well as the preparatory formation of the members before deepening their commitments."

What Father Gelis doesn't mention is that this external superior is being imposed over Miles Jesu after an investigation that was started after approximately 19 members in May of 2007 (including members who were former members of Miles Jesu's governing body, Miles Jesu priests, as well as members who had been in Miles Jesu for over 25 years) reported witnessing over the years in Miles Jesu the following abuses: manipulation of possible recruits to join Miles Jesu, financial dishonesty, practices against Canon Law such as non-confidential spiritual direction, not providing all members with adequate health care/insurance, Miles Jesu's teaching that one's salvation strictly depends on joining Miles Jesu, it's prohibition of many members to pursue higher education, it's appointment of a Vicar Directress over the women's branch with no formal education in theology or Canon Law, sexual abuse, and various other abuses that show Miles Jesu has cultic qualities.

Up until now these members have been afraid to speak out and warn the Catholic faithful of this dangerous group because they were intimidated with legal threats by a lawyer working for Miles Jesu. After years of suffering they have also not been helped in any way by the Vicariate of Rome, the Congregation for Religious, or Miles Jesu. Hopefully this new superior, Fr. Barry Fischer, will be willing to help victims of Miles Jesu who after years of trying to serve the Church in Miles Jesu are left in destitute situations. Hopefully, he will also prevent Miles Jesu from harrasing ex-members with legal threats.

If you, like so many others, have been abused, deceived by, or adversely affected by Miles Jesu at any time either as a member or a benefactor, please contact Fr. Barry Fischer, CPPS. To find out how you can talk directly to Fr. Fischer directly please call Miles Jesu's publically listed number (773) 262-0861 (Chicago, IL USA house). No member of Miles Jesu can impede you from speaking to Fr. Fischer. If you are aware of abuses it is your duty to inform Fr. Fischer, so that you can help him to reform Miles Jesu

You may also contact the Cardinal directly:

Here is the contact information for Cardinal Vallini which is listed on the website of the Vicariate of Rome:

http://www.vicariatusurbis.org/CardinaleVicario.asp

Piazza San Giovanni in Laterano 4 - 00184 ROMA
tel. Vicariato 06-69.88.61.55/56
e-mail: Segreteria.CardinalVallini@VicariatusUrb is.org

In the United States, Miles Jesu currently operates in the canonical territory of the Archdiocese of Chicago, Ukrainian Greek Catholic Eparchy of Chicago, and the Diocese of Phoenix. These dioceses should also have information on how you can contact the external superior appointed over Miles Jesu.
Old Apr 23, '09, 2:48 pm
Banned

Default Re: Vicariate of Rome concludes investigation of Miles Jesu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juama View Post
Well it looks like the rumors were true that Miles Jesu is some kind of renegade group working under the radar of Rome. I hope there will be more information. I think the Vatican has to be more transparent about stuff like this haven't they learned anything from the LC's and child molestation crisis in the USA?
Old May 15, '09, 2:14 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Vicariate of Rome concludes investigation of Miles Jesu

Thank you and thanks be to God that you posted this.

I witnessed Miles Jesu in Chicago first hand. Check out the other threads on MJ here. You'll see what I'm talking about.

I lost a friend who I believe was manipulated into becoming an MJ. While I respect his faith decisions, I believe he was lured and brainwashed into becoming a "consecrated lay member" MJ. Their base house in AZ has only one email address for the entire community, and none of my emails to him have been returned.

MJ used to come to Loyola Chicago's Rogers Park campus only a few years ago and try to intergrate themselves into student Catholic groups, which proved to be very unpopular and awkward. They'd try to gain control over such groups and try to influence students to go on gender-segregated "retreats' for MJ, or allow them a chance to "live and study" at their "house" a few blocks away. Far too much influence upoun young students at an Jesuit university with an on-campus archdiocesan seminary.

It's great to see people who take thier faith seriously to the world, but in my opinion and in the opinions of many of my friends in Chicago, MJ is "frightening."

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News