Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 26, '09, 1:25 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Question Crusader's/Athlete's Brown Scapular And Mel Gibson

I am prayerfully considering the Brown Scapular devotion. One of the main things preventing me from wearing the Scapular is that it may be inconvenient. I lead a very active lifestyle and I work in the shipbuilding industry, and I think a Brown Scapular may end up getting damaged in my daily life.

However, I think I have found a Scapular that would be perfect for me. It is called the Crusader's Scapular or the Athlete's Scapular. This Brown Scapular looks smaller and easier to wear.

One of the reasons I was attracted to this Scapular was because I saw Mel Gibson wearing one around his neck like a necklace. It looked comfortable and practical. Here is a picture:

This is a small picture, but you can see the Scapular hanging around his neck like a normal piece of jewelry. Is this how every Scapular is worn, or is it just this version?

Here is a picture of the actual Scapular:

Does anybody wear the Crusader's Brown Scapular? Or have you seen other's wear this? Is Mel Gibson wearing the Brown Scapular correctly?

Magnificat anima mea Dominum. Et exultavit spiritus meus in Deo salutari meo.
Old Apr 26, '09, 1:52 am
Book Club Member

Default Re: Crusader's/Athlete's Brown Scapular And Mel Gibson

I use to wear that particular one until it wore out, very sturdy brand of scapular, and the crucifix and St. Benedict's medal while aluminum help weight it down a little and are -very- beneficial besides.

So I can highly recommend it as far as brown scapulars go.

Scapulars wear out as a matter of course, so one simply gets a replacement ready for that time.

When I first wore the scapular it itched for a bit, then I accepted that and was never bothered by it again. Sometimes scapulars ride up or fall back, but that's par for the course too.
Old Apr 26, '09, 4:43 am

Religion: CATHOLIC
Send a message via AIM to sawman

Dear Dempsey1919,
I have one scapular like the one in your picture, with the St. Benedict's medal and the Crucifix. Mine is a St. Michael"s scapular. I wore it for a long time and I too have a very active lifestlye. I am a carpenter. I eventually had to hang it on my rearview mirror. Not because it would wear out but because of the stink. In the warmer months the scapular would literaly get soaked. I would try to get to dry out every nite but anyhow, the end result was that I could smell this before I got it on. I don't know how long it would take before it would fall apart in the washer-dryer. Anyway, I now see it several times a day and it reminds me to pray. Which is better than before when it was around my neck. I would quite often forget I had it on.
Anyway just my two cents.
Old Apr 26, '09, 5:31 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
I have one scapular like the one in your picture, with the St. Benedict's medal and the Crucifix. Mine is a St. Michael"s scapular. I wore it for a long time and I too have a very active lifestlye. I am a carpenter. I eventually had to hang it on my rearview mirror. Not because it would wear out but because of the stink. In the warmer months the scapular would literaly get soaked. I would try to get to dry out every nite but anyhow, the end result was that I could smell this before I got it on. I don't know how long it would take before it would fall apart in the washer-dryer. Anyway, I now see it several times a day and it reminds me to pray. Which is better than before when it was around my neck. I would quite often forget I had it on.
Anyway just my two cents.
I sweat a lot, so my Scapular would probably end up smelling like yours did. Have you considered wearing a Scapular Medal while you work so that the Scapular doesn't get covered in sweat? I think that would be a legitimate reason to wear a Scapular medal.

Did your Scapular look like Mel Gibson's in the picture above? Was it as small as his and did it look like a necklace when you wore it?

Old Apr 26, '09, 5:50 am

The only scapulars that I've ever seen are about 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 connected with a string. sort of like Mel's. I don't know where to get a medal I don't really have too much time for shopping. A medal would present it's own problems for me though, that's why I don't wear them. They tend to get snagged by my tools when I get into certain positions. They also don't stay inside my shirt where it is less of a saftey issue. I guess one could learn to live with just about anything though. I have medals at home on my dresser cause wearing them is too much.
I am not trying to discourage you. You may have a greater tolerance for this sort of thing than I do.
God Bless your efforts!
Peace,
Tom
Old Apr 26, '09, 5:59 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

I've seen the picture of Mel Gibson, wearing his. And noticed, it seemed shorter. I was curious about it. Now we know, what the difference is (type); Thanks!

Myself, I wear a traditional scapular. The long, cloth type. I have to say.. that at FIRST.. it was a little difficult getting used to it. They can sometimes become tangled in your clothing (or hair, if you wear it long.. as I do). And they can also become soiled. But that's a simple solution. Just replace it!

I have been wearing the Brown Scapular now, for over 4 years. And it has become so much a part of me.. that I feel absolutely naked without it. It doesn't bother me in the least, now. In other words.. it IS possible to get used to a long, traditional Brown Scapular. But the shorter version, which you have researched.. is certainly a great option for people who can't get used to the traditional type.

Thanks for the information! God bless.
"..I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. CHOOSE LIFE, then, that you and your descendants may live.." (Deuteronomy 30:19)
PLEASE VISIT: http://www.facebook.com/priestsforlife.org

Old Apr 26, '09, 6:08 am
Prayer Warrior

Where is the best place to purchase this type of Scapular?

I have visited several different sites, but I can't decide which one to use. Also, does the Scapular come with a leaftlet or a booklet with instructions on how to follow the devotion?

Old Apr 26, '09, 6:14 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

"Demp" You can get a Scapular-Book set, sure! Here is a nice set, from EWTN.. Hope this helps. God bless.

http://www.ewtnreligiouscatalogue.co...ProductDetails
"..I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. CHOOSE LIFE, then, that you and your descendants may live.." (Deuteronomy 30:19)
PLEASE VISIT: http://www.facebook.com/priestsforlife.org

Old Apr 26, '09, 6:15 am

Hello there!

Problem here is that the Scapular is to be worn at all times. It is not a sacremental to be worn at one's pleasure. The whole point of the scapular is to have it on when you die. Since none of us knows that exact time, it is 24/7. Hanging it anywhere but around your neck won't help at the moment of death. If you are on the job and it is in your truck and you die, it can't help.

Something I read in another thread earler is how to keep your Scapular clean. If you wash it in the machine, it will diintergrate quickly. Try using a little bodywash or shampoo and massage it in and rinse, then air dry. Having two Scapulars is not unheard of either. I have three. One I wear daily, one I shower with and one that is there for emergencies. I lost one at the doctors once, so I make sure to have another ready.

The entire point of wearing the scapular is to honor Mary in a very special way. The reward is the greatest she can give. You just have to wear your Scapular to recieve this reward. You can not chance you will have time to put it on when you die or that someone else will get it on you.

I have seen several different types of Brown Scapulars and attached medals. As long as they are made with wool and inscribed with the proper words and blest by a priest, then they are okay. People wear medals, only Mary herself said they have to be made of wool.

If you choose to follow this devotion, you have to make some sacrifice or you dishonor Mary. I think that would be bad in the long run.

I do like the Crusader one, are the words inscribed?

Since I follow the Sabattine Priviledge, I decided after yesterday to dust off my "Little Office of Mary" and to try and fit them into my day! I think the more importance that you subscribe to the devotion, the more you will recieve.

I hope you find the right one for yourself. Do ask yourself, though, how Imporatant is this devotion to me? If it is only for the reward and not so much for the honor of Mary, it won't be of great significance to you (or Her).

God Bless!

"Pray Unceasingly" St. Paul the Apostle
Old Apr 26, '09, 6:48 am

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevickinator16 View Post
Hello there!

Problem here is that the Scapular is to be worn at all times. It is not a sacremental to be worn at one's pleasure. The whole point of the scapular is to have it on when you die. Since none of us knows that exact time, it is 24/7. Hanging it anywhere but around your neck won't help at the moment of death. If you are on the job and it is in your truck and you die, it can't help.
. You can not chance you will have time to put it on when you die or that someone else will get it on you.

God Bless!
Hmmm.... With all due regard to people's piety, this sounds awfully like superstition to me. How can our eternal fate depend on a piece of cloth?
Old Apr 26, '09, 6:57 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Hmmm.... With all due regard to people's piety, this sounds awfully like superstition to me. How can our eternal fate depend on a piece of cloth?
I agree.

I don't think it really matters if the Scapular has the "right" words stitched on to it, and I don't think Our Lady will mind if people decide that it's more practical to wear a Scapular medal. The important thing is to strive for personal holiness, while striving to become like Jesus with the help of his Blessed Mother. I think the Scapular is only an outward sign of internal love and piety. For this reason, it doesn't matter about the type of Scapular used. It is more important to become a holy person with the help of the Blessed Mother, and the Scapular should only be a reminder of this.

Old Apr 26, '09, 7:38 am

I started to wear mine when I ended up in the hospital with an undiagnosed heart problem. My Dad gave me his and I attempted to waer it for several months. The above conditions got me to lokk at other devotions that might be more appropriate to my status in life. There are many ways to grow closer to God and in holiness. I still keep my dad"s scapular close to me and on display as an encouragement to not forget my prayers and the blessing God has given me through the gift.

I am not afraid of losing my faith in the sense of "needing" the scapular to insure the Blessed Mother's promises are kept. I know that if I am faithful He will be faithful for it is He who is always merciful and faithful. It is by His grace alone that I can love Him and remain in Him.

Scapulars are very good devotion. I would never try to discourage one from doing it. It is a sacramental not the Sacrament. Praise God! He gives us so many ways to draw near to Him!!

Peace, Tom
Old Apr 26, '09, 7:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieVeronica View Post
I've seen the picture of Mel Gibson, wearing his. And noticed, it seemed shorter. I was curious about it. Now we know, what the difference is (type); Thanks!

Myself, I wear a traditional scapular. The long, cloth type. I have to say.. that at FIRST.. it was a little difficult getting used to it. They can sometimes become tangled in your clothing (or hair, if you wear it long.. as I do). And they can also become soiled. But that's a simple solution. Just replace it!

I have been wearing the Brown Scapular now, for over 4 years. And it has become so much a part of me.. that I feel absolutely naked without it. It doesn't bother me in the least, now. In other words.. it IS possible to get used to a long, traditional Brown Scapular. But the shorter version, which you have researched.. is certainly a great option for people who can't get used to the traditional type.

Thanks for the information! God bless.
Same here - and a note: I remember when I began wearing it as an adult, the string was coming out of my neckline one day. Co-worker commented they hadn't seen 'one of those' in years....Sadly, a fast fading tradition (after being presented/inducted at Holy Communion) much in need of promotion.
Old Apr 26, '09, 9:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwight View Post
If you read the inscripition on the Sacpular, it says "whosoever dies wearing this Scapular shall not suffer eternal fire" Our Lady's words, not mine.

If this is not the type of devotion that truly appeals to you, you are not considered any worse for it.

There is another devotion that is great also. That is the Three Hail Mary's.

His Holiness Benedict XV raised this devotion to an Archconfraternity.

Practice:

Recite, morning and evening 3 Hail Mary's in honor of the 3 great priviledges, with this invocation at the end: in the morning, O my Mother, preserve me from mortal sin during this day. For night: O my Mother preserve me from mortal sin this night.

The privileges are 1( Power from God, 2) Wisdom from the Son and 3) merciful tenderness from the Holy Spirit.

This devotion is to be said daily for the duration of one's natural life. It will open the Gates of Heaven for the person who remains faithful practicing it.

God Bless!

"Pray Unceasingly" St. Paul the Apostle
Old Apr 26, '09, 12:50 pm
Book Club Member

Since I wear my scapular in the shower I do not have a problem with any odors -- it keeps as clean as I do. They wear out quicker like this but it's the only way to go unless you're practicing some sort of stinky mortification. lol.

There're alternative theories as to the details of how the scapular promise works, one is that if you truly go too far in simply wearing it without any proper motivation Providence (and the Devil) will make certain you die without it -- which is very easy to do after all, not that how easy or hard it is matters to God -- it can be prone to coming off while you are changing your shirt, the band can break, etc. -- Also someone in mortal sin in the hands of the devils is under obedience to their temptations, and so could easily remove it when the hour of death came -- on the other hand God might very well convert even the worst sinner who wears it improperly out of His love of those devoted to our Lady who do wear it properly and a strictly literal abiding to her promise.

There are many flat and strict promises of scripture similar to the scapular promise by God -- If you do this, I will do that, He says in so many words without qualification in the actual passage, but they too do have some context, the context of the Faith and caveats from the context.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality