Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 2, '09, 7:05 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default What will help your discernment process?

Knowing how difficult discerning a religious vocation can be, what would you like to see done to help you along the process? What will you say if someone asks your advice?
" Love is repaid by love alone."- St. John of the Cross
Old May 2, '09, 9:21 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: What will help your discernment process?

My own personal discernment process has almost come to a completion.

However to share a few thoughts on things that helped me along.... or that I would suggest if people asked me for advice?

1) Find a parish priest or spiritual director to start you on your journey.

2) Try to contact your director of vocations in your diocese.

3) I also found the website " http://www.vocationsplacement.org/ " to be of great help. as it has a survey of questions to help one to actually determine how suited one may be to religious life and in what form. ( please note you may receive responses from communities not exactly fitting your ideas.. this is by design just to broaden your parameters in your search)

4) Contact a religious who can share some of their journey with you. While everyone's journey is unique it helps to share with someone who has been there before you.

Just some thoughts on starting the thread. ( And thank you for your insightful posts sister)
Happy Easter Season! Blessings of Peace and All Good!!!!
Old May 2, '09, 11:23 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

More information is needed. and availability of information as well. It's hard to discern when you're too young. When you ask people about religious life, they will say, "you are too young. Think about it." then leave you. How can we think about it when they don't want us to know about religious life? Good thing there's the internet but when it comes to personal knowing, they'll tell me, you're too young, then they leave me in the air still full of questions. this is what saddens me. sometimes i wish i am older so that people will listen to me.
- 2 Timothy 2:11

I don't want to be conservative. I don't want to be liberal. I want to be Catholic. (Mother Angelica)
Visit my blog!
Old May 3, '09, 3:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasEugene View Post
More information is needed. and availability of information as well. It's hard to discern when you're too young. When you ask people about religious life, they will say, "you are too young. Think about it." then leave you. How can we think about it when they don't want us to know about religious life? Good thing there's the internet but when it comes to personal knowing, they'll tell me, you're too young, then they leave me in the air still full of questions. this is what saddens me. sometimes i wish i am older so that people will listen to me.
The above suggested steps from PoorClaretobe are very helpful and concrete. I understand what you mean. It is very frustrating.
" Love is repaid by love alone."- St. John of the Cross
Old May 4, '09, 1:05 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Yes, Sister, it is very frustrating. They were telling me to enjoy life first. How can I enjoy life?

I don't want to be conservative. I don't want to be liberal. I want to be Catholic. (Mother Angelica)
Visit my blog!
Old May 4, '09, 7:06 am

Quote:
Yes, Sister, it is very frustrating. They were telling me to enjoy life first. How can I enjoy life?
Thomas perhaps you could share some more with us??? Are you in High School? University??? Are you feeling like you may be drawn to religious life? How active are you in your church? We would love to hear your story.. perhaps if you shared a little bit we could all put our heads together and come up with some things that you could do based on your own circumstances?

Do you go to a public school? What kinds of activities are there in your church for people your age??? Please share some more and perhaps sister or some others from your area can come up with some ideas for you??

Blessings and don't be discouraged....
Old May 5, '09, 12:34 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Actually my vocation is a secret but i am going to tell you since you don't know me personally and I use a pseudonym in this forum.

During my elementary years I studied in a school run by an congregation of sisters (the order is secret.. you'll know why). So Catholic schools here are very expensive but my father wanted us to have a good Catholic education. But we can no longer pay tuition fees. We present promissory note to the sisters to wait for us to pay but they won't accept it. They even run when they see my father. This created in me an anger to this order of nuns.

We studied in a public school when I was in Grade 5. Since it is a public school, the school doesn't offer catechism classes. Good thing a group of catechists from our archdiocese came and taught us for free. I even had a teacher who is a Missionary Catechist Sister of the Sacred Heart who is very kind. He wrote to Pope John Paul II to send us rosaries and we were given rosaries, which I still carry.

In highschool, I was exposed to the vanities of the world, that I don't care about the Sacraments. I attend Sunday Mass, but do not listen... I do not even go to Confession. A turning point came into my life when I turned fifteen. I read about the story of Miraculous Medal. Then I felt something was missing in my life. I felt I need to do something. I found St. Vincent de Paul's name in the story so I researched books about him. I thought to myself. I want to be like him. I didn't know that time what is religious life, or vocation, or what.Through the internet I learned that there were many religious orders. I realized missionary life is not for me. I longed for a deeper life of prayer. I then started reading faith-based books from the Daughters of St. Paul who are very kind to us and they even befriended us. So, through this I had a deeper sense of community life.

I kept what I feel to myself because I know they'll laugh at me when they learn I am discerning vocation. Before I turned 16, I met my spiritual director. We rarely talk since he always travel to give talks and retreats. I only met him twice since the day I saw him,but I email him or send him text messages. He told me to enjoy my high school life. So I tried to enjoy my high school life. Months later, I joined the Companion Intercessors of the Lamb. This is my first community to belong. I tried to enroll at Militia Immaculata but they never replied to me.

Since my vocation is a secret, I grab the opportunity when someone asks me about religious life. I help those persons, who were as young as me, in discerning. So I ask in the name of other people. and through this I find it frustrating when they tell me that they (those i help) should finish their studies first. Then the conversation ends.

I don't know if \i should share this one but I find it very hard when my director won't allow me to write to other communities, and continue to tell me to enjoy life first. I want to write to Trappist. I told my director that I'll just tell them that I am interested, and I just want to know. He told me that I am too young. Same with other persons I talk to. They tell me that I am too young. One even told me that what I am feeling is "normal." So I try to be resourcfeful with the internet. You know what, i know of a girl who corresponds personally with the Minim nuns. The Minim nuns corresponds with her too, treating her with great love and respect. The girl is younger than me and I envy her..

I do not know of youth-oriented activities here in my parish. I know of one but I seem not interested for some reasons. I just hate it when people come together just to make others cry because of what they are feeling.

I am already seventeen. I am going to a state university this June. Since it is a public college, I expect that no religious activities are held for the sake of the activists. I am going to take BS Industrial and Organizational Psychology for obvious reason: vocation.

Visit my blog!
Old May 5, '09, 1:00 pm

Religion: catholic

I know excatly how you feel. I have the call to the priesthood.But they tell me that i have to learn more in the secular world. in a sense i have to respect there decicions.but that doesnt mean to leave me in the dark. the sad thing about here is that there are rarely any vocations because they never ask or help. i dont know what your vocation is but it is true that you have to finish school. im not saying enjoy your youth but finish school. Also stay close to the sacraments. Go to confession attend mass daily and PRAY!!!! always stay in a state of grace. these simple tasks will help you with your discernment. GOD will be with you always. I know now GOD was calling me along time ago but i wasnt very faithfull but now that i am more serious. I heard him as clear as a whistle and all i have to do now (which sucks) is wait. But in the mean time do as i do and dont stay idle go help within your church. Help with the cathecism of others you dont necicary have to teach but you can help. try to be in a ministry. there are a million things you can do. but dont give up NEVER!! do it for the glory of GOD.

i will keep you in my prayers
Old May 6, '09, 12:07 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Unhappy Re: What will help your discernment process?

i feel so bad in mentioning my spiritual director. forgive me please. i just realized that i should really obey him. i am so sorry.

Visit my blog!
Old May 8, '09, 1:58 pm

[quote=himynameisjorge;5163840]I know excatly how you feel. I have the call to the priesthood.But they tell me that i have to learn more in the secular world. in a sense i have to respect there decicions.but that doesnt mean to leave me in the dark. the sad thing about here is that there are rarely any vocations because they never ask or help. i dont know what your vocation is but it is true that you have to finish school. im not saying enjoy your youth but finish school. Also stay close to the sacraments. Go to confession attend mass daily and PRAY!!!! always stay in a state of grace. these simple tasks will help you with your discernment. GOD will be with you always. I know now GOD was calling me along time ago but i wasnt very faithfull but now that i am more serious. I heard him as clear as a whistle and all i have to do now (which sucks) is wait. But in the mean time do as i do and dont stay idle go help within your church. Help with the cathecism of others you dont necicary have to teach but you can help. try to be in a ministry. there are a million things you can do. but dont give up NEVER!! do it for the glory of GOD. [quote=himynameisjorge;5163840]I

I think that this is good advice.Now is the time to be faithful to your vocation as a baptized Catholic live out that commitment. Finish school, great advice. School and working in your parish, your new parish near your school, will help you in so many ways. It will help you mature in your faith and in your vocational calling. Education will always be to your benefit.

I am sure that there is a seminarian or young priest here at CAF that you could be talking with as well. Hang in there and be creative with your waiting.
Sister Judith Ann
Old May 10, '09, 2:18 pm

Send a message via MSN to Appleby

Quote:
And sometimes I wish I were younger so that people will listen to me. You, at least, will grow older. I cannot grow younger. *You are too old. Forget about it* is much harder to hear, believe me!

American Boots on the Moon - 1969
Old May 10, '09, 11:16 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleby View Post
And sometimes I wish I were younger so that people will listen to me. You, at least, will grow older. I cannot grow younger. *You are too old. Forget about it* is much harder to hear, believe me!
oh! but somehow i am enjoying now the benefits of being a youth.

Visit my blog!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations