Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 10, '09, 12:40 pm

Religion: Eclectic Christian
Default do priests get paid?

I was wondering do priests have other jobs or are they A priest and that is their job also do you get paid as a priest what about money they are given does it have to be donated to the parish? or does he get it as his money?
Old May 10, '09, 1:08 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: do priests get paid?

A Diocesan Priest is generally paid a salary through the Parish, though it may not be very much. They can also accept donations/gifts from parishioners without it having to be donated through the Parish.

A Religious Priest generally has a vow of poverty (depends on the Order) and would not receive a private salary, instead having his needs provided by the Order. As for donations, again depending on the Order, he might be allowed to take donations/gifts or he might have to turn it over to the Order and/or ask his Superior permission to keep it for his private use.

In the Latin Rite, I don't believe you would see many Priests 'moonlighting' at other jobs.
Old May 10, '09, 2:37 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic

One important point that has been left out is that being a Priest is a vocation not a job...there is a huge difference. A vocation is what you are, a job is what you do. A priest is always a priest, he "works" 24/7. They do not have shifts on and off just as parents, or married couples, do not work as parents but are called to be married.

That being said, from the information I have been given for my diocese, the priests are given a stipend from the diocese, every month, in order to meet their needs. And everything else that was said is correct.

Priest do not work for a living the live to work...I hope this helps.
My confidence is placed in God, who does not need our help for accomplishing His designs.Our single endeavor should be to give ourselves to the work and to be faithful to Him, and not to spoil His work by our shortcomings-St.IsaacJogues
The poison of sin,once confessed,becomes the remedy of Grace
Old May 10, '09, 4:02 pm

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic

As others have said a diocesan priest (the kind you see at an regualr parish) do get a monthly stipend from the diocese. They may also receive money from family or as a gift. They keep their own money and can invest it or spend as they see fit (within reason). Depending on the diocese a priest might own their own car rather than having that provided for example.

A priest in most religious orders (Francisan, Dominican, etc.) will have taken vow of poverty and cannot own private property (outside of basic personal belongings) or keep money. Gifts of money would be given to the order. From the order they receive housing, food, clothing (their habit) and transportation. Depending on what type of work the order does, they may revied a very small stipend so that they have cash on hand for public transportation or to buy food during the day while they are working.
Old May 11, '09, 7:19 am

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicCid View Post
In the Latin Rite, I don't believe you would see many Priests 'moonlighting' at other jobs.
I think this happens more among the Eastern/Oriental Churches (Catholic and Orthodox).
In some cases a married priest may have a secular job to support his family.

This is necessary/possible b/c their parishes tend to be much smaller than Latin parishes, and tend to have only 1 priest. The smaller parishes mean that they can't afford a salary that would support their priest. Alternatively, b/c the parishes are small, and they generally celebrate the liturgy on Sunday only (not daily), the workload is less. So, it is possible (though difficult) for the priest to work a secular job, and serve the parish.

God Bless
Old May 11, '09, 7:26 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicCid View Post
A Diocesan Priest is generally paid a salary through the Parish, though it may not be very much. They can also accept donations/gifts from parishioners without it having to be donated through the Parish.

A Religious Priest generally has a vow of poverty (depends on the Order) and would not receive a private salary, instead having his needs provided by the Order. As for donations, again depending on the Order, he might be allowed to take donations/gifts or he might have to turn it over to the Order and/or ask his Superior permission to keep it for his private use.

not exactly. Yes diocesan priests receive a salary and usually mileage or other car allowance, use of rectory to live in etc. Some priests do "moonlight" such as teaching in a school or college, chaplain, or other job with the diocese or another Catholic institution, and the diocese or order has rules on how that income is handled. All income must be accounted for, and all clergy have to file tax returns according to the same rules as everyone else, although there is a special IRS form for clergy income.

order priests depend on the discipline of their order, in general any salary they receive (from serving in a parish, as a Catholic school teacher etc) goes to their order, who provides their living expenses etc. any gifts of cash or kind also belong to the order, but usually if it is something personal they might be allowed to keep it.

all priests who receive stipends or donations are required to report it as income to the IRS and to handle it according to directives of the diocese (or their order). In practice that means he can simply put it in the parish general fund, and it is not income to him (but still has to be listed and accounted for on parish books). Or he can keep it to help support himself, as he does his regular salary, but of course report it to IRS.
Old May 11, '09, 10:06 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzleannie View Post
not exactly. Yes diocesan priests receive a salary and usually mileage or other car allowance, use of rectory to live in etc. Some priests do "moonlight" such as teaching in a school or college, chaplain, or other job with the diocese or another Catholic institution, and the diocese or order has rules on how that income is handled.
Sorry, I was referring to secular jobs, such as say Fr. John Doe being the bagger at the grocers

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations