Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 10, '09, 8:46 pm

Religion: Somewhere between a revert and a cradle Catholic.
Default Jesuit Nuns?

I was wondering if there were, as it seems, the nun equivalent of a Jesuit. I have always bee attracted to Jesuit beliefs, particularly their focus on the education of their members. My dad said he knew of an order of sisters or nuns that are nicknamed something like "the Jesuits of nuns". If this order does exist, I would be very interested in looking into it. And if this order does not exist, does anyone know of any particular order of nuns or sisters that are similar to Jesuits, especially regarding education (both of the greater population and of the members) and defense of the Church?
Old May 10, '09, 8:58 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Jesuit Nuns?

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as Jesuit nuns, but I was looking up something and found out that the Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist in Ann Arbor, MI are a lot like what you are looking for. Someone once said that they are very much well regarded as highly-intellectual (they are the Order of Preachers). I love the history behind the order, and reading about their founder, St. Dominic Guzman.

You might want to take a look at these two links:

http://www.catholicforum.com/forums/...ad.php?t=31991

http://www.sistersofmary.org/

Also, you might want to look at their parallel order (the one they were started from), which was the Dominican Sisters of St. Cecilia (Nashville Dominicans):

http://nashvilledominican.org/

Both orders focus very highly on education and they attend Catholic universities for their education. St. Dominic believed that his order must focus on learning constantly.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/05106a.htm

Hope this helps!

Old May 10, '09, 8:58 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic

To the best of my knowledge the Society of Jesus (Jesuits) do not have any nuns affiliated with their order.

I believe the Dominicans are big on preaching as well as education, so Dominican nuns might be the way to go.

Edit: I see someone else responded at the same time - and more thoroughly than I could. Jinx!

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old May 10, '09, 9:02 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyM View Post
To the best of my knowledge the Society of Jesus (Jesuits) do not have any nuns affiliated with their order.

I believe the Dominicans are big on preaching as well as education, so Dominican nuns might be the way to go.

Edit: I see someone else responded at the same time - and more thoroughly than I could. Jinx!
LOL!

Old May 10, '09, 11:10 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

I know that this congregation is very much Jesuit but not affiliated with the SJs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religio...he_Virgin_Mary

God bless!
- 2 Timothy 2:11

I don't want to be conservative. I don't want to be liberal. I want to be Catholic. (Mother Angelica)
Visit my blog!
Old May 11, '09, 8:48 am

Has anyone here heard of the Society of the Sacred Heart? It was founded by St. Madeleine Sophie Barat in 1800 in France. Fr. Varin, a French Jesuit, wanted to found a female 'equivalent' of the Society of Jesus in the aftermath of the French Revolution, when Catholic education - and religious life - were trying to get back on their feet.
Old May 11, '09, 9:33 am

Religion: Catholic, Obl.OSB

The Jesuits don't have a branch for women. However, there are women's congregations that follow Ignatian spirituality. Many of the active orders promote education for their members. Pick your favorite seminary or school of theology and you will see sisters on the faculty. You might want to check out some of their congregatons.
Old May 11, '09, 10:15 am

Why not check with the Jesuits themselves???

Perhaps they can direct you to the congregation which your Father spoke about... either a group of sisters following the Ignatian spirituality or a religious community actually founded by a Jesuit.

I'd check it out if I were you, especially since you are expressing an interest in the Jesuit's way of life.

Post what you find out... I know I'd be interested in hearing how you make out.

Blessings
Old May 11, '09, 10:50 am

Religion: Catholic (RCIA Class of 1994)

Hi.

The Sisters of St. Joseph were founded by a Jesuit (Father jean Pierre Medaille). We have an Ignatian-Salesian spirituality..."with an orientation toward excellence, tempered by gentleness, peace, and joy."

Old May 11, '09, 11:46 am
Prayer Warrior

I just remembered something...

The Servant Sisters of the Home of the Mother are very dedicated to the defense of the Church, especially the Eucharist and the perpetual virginity of Mary, Mother of Jesus. I've met several of them as they have a convent where I live and they have been on a retreat with the Young Adult group in my diocese. They also gave a talk when we went to visit a Carmelite monastery.

They are very dedicated to the defense of the Church. I remember Sr. Clare telling us how they were on campus at a public university in front of the Newman Center praying the rosary. In an English or Literature class, one of the professors was claiming that God was not real and what happened to the Eucharist (desecration) was well deserved by Catholics. There were Catholics in the classroom who were very upset, and they saw the Sisters downstairs in the courtyard. They left the room and went to get the Sisters. The Sisters went in to the room to present the Truth. I know that they really tried to stop the professor from spewing lies.

Anyway, they also teach in Catholic schools, and work with youth.

Here's the congregation's website:

http://www.homeofthemother.org/index...sters/missions

Old May 12, '09, 9:52 am

Smile Re: Jesuit Nuns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaJean View Post
I was wondering if there were, as it seems, the nun equivalent of a Jesuit. I have always bee attracted to Jesuit beliefs, particularly their focus on the education of their members. My dad said he knew of an order of sisters or nuns that are nicknamed something like "the Jesuits of nuns". If this order does exist, I would be very interested in looking into it. And if this order does not exist, does anyone know of any particular order of nuns or sisters that are similar to Jesuits, especially regarding education (both of the greater population and of the members) and defense of the Church?
There are no Jesuit nuns, however there is a female congregation in the Philippines called the Religious of the Virgin Mary whose foundress was the first woman to introduced the Retreat Movement for women in the world. She is now Venerable Mother Ignacia del Espiritu Santo. The RVM Congregation was founded in 1684 in Intramuros, Manila (the walled city) with the help of the Jesuit Fathers. In the early days of the foundation, they were called Beatas de la Compania de Jesus or the Blessed of the Company of Jesus. Today, their main apostolate is conducting retreats and Christian education. The spirituality of this order is similar to that of the Jesuits. They managed and owned more than fifty schools, colleges and universities in the Philippines, USA, Pakistan, Indonisia, and Africa. Like the Jesuits, the RVM Sisters are attracting many vocations and currently, they are the largest female congregation in the Philippines. Here is the website: www.rvmonline.net

A few other female congregations that can be link to the Jesuits are the Religious of the Cenacle founded by St.Theresa Couderc in Europe whose main apostolate is Reteat and the Daughters of Jesus Congregation or Hijas de Jesus founded by Blessed Mother Maria Candida of Jesus in Spain. They are involved in Christian education and Retreats.

Last edited by Yggi; May 12, '09 at 10:11 am.
Old May 12, '09, 10:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yggi View Post
There are no Jesuit nuns, however there is a female congregation in the Philippines called the Religious of the Virgin Mary whose foundress was the first woman to introduced the Retreat Movement for women in the world. She is now Venerable Mother Ignacia del Espiritu Santo. The RVM Congregation was founded in 1684 in Intramuros, Manila (the walled city) with the help of the Jesuit Fathers. In the early days of the foundation, they were called Beatas de la Compania de Jesus or the Blessed of the Company of Jesus. Today, their main apostolate is conducting retreats and Christian education. The spirituality of this order is similar to that of the Jesuits. They managed and owned more than fifty schools, colleges and universities in the Philippines, USA, Rome, Italy, Pakistan, Indonisia, and Africa. Like the Jesuits, the RVM Sisters are attracting many vocations and currently, they are the largest female congregation in the Philippines. Here is the website: www.rvmonline.net

A few other female congregations that can be link to the Jesuits are the Religious of the Cenacle founded by St.Theresa Couderc in Europe whose main apostolate is Reteat and the Daughters of Jesus Congregation or Hijas de Jesus founded by Blessed Mother Maria Candida of Jesus in Spain. They are involved in Christian education and Retreats.
Old May 12, '09, 1:57 pm

The Visitation nuns have always been considered the cloistered prayer powerhouse of the Jesuits. St. Margaret Mary's spiritual director was a Jesuit. The First Federation of the Visitation is strictly cloistered. The Second Federation has schools, and are less cloistered. (Used to be known as semi-cloistered).

There are women's religious communities which are Ignatian. Usually, the foundress gave the constitutions to the Jesuits and they made changes to make them Ignatian.

Here are three:

Religious of the Retreat in the Cenacle

Society of Mary Reparatrix

Religious of Jesus and Mary

All three "updated" after Vatican II.

HTH.

Blessings,
Cloisters
Old May 13, '09, 4:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaJean View Post
If you are truly interested in this, there are others who have stated a desire to be part of a women's charism of Ignatian spirituality--"Jesuitesses" or "Jesuit nuns." I have emailed the Maryland Provincial of the Jesuits concerning this trend in vocational interest, but have yet to hear back from him.

The questions that should be asked are: what particular expression of Ignatian spirituality are you feeling drawn to? What do you envision it to be like? Have you read the life of St. Ignatius? Are you familar with the Spiritual Exercises?

Read everything you can about St. Ignatius and the Jesuits, and the religious communities which have been founded using their spirituality. Please feel free to PM me.

The vocation of Consecrated Virgin was resurrected because a group of virgins petitioned Rome to bring it back. Anytime a group of people are agreed on something spiritually orthodox, they have a greater chance of accomplishing the goal.

Cloister Outreach is in the process of assisting older vocations to form a Carmel for that age group. We are doing this through a yahoo group, where everyone can voice what they are feeling attracted to. (The Holy Ghost works on attraction). We have a Carmelite prioress on the group, and she is assisting with the discernment process. One woman has offered her house, and a live-in is being planned. We are also in the process of procuring the assistance of the Carmelites in the woman's locality.

If we can do that for an emerging Carmel for older vocations, we can certainly do something similar for those women feeling called to be 'Jesuit nuns.'

Blessings,
Cloisters
Old Jun 10, '09, 6:30 am

I read on this site:

http://www.marywarddocumentary.com/index.htm

that St. Ignatius wrote it into his rule that his guys were strictly forbidden to start a women's branch. So I guess that explains why I've not heard back from the Provincial.

So, in that case, please email me directly at [email protected] and we can discuss a possible charism.

Don't panic, and don't feel overwhelmed. There are procedures to follow. The Holy Ghost works on attraction where vocations are concerned--keep that in mind. The best way to start something like this is an online board.

Blessings,
Cloisters

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations