Go Back   Catholic Answers Groups > Group Forums > History of the Catholic Church

History of the Catholic Church Click here to visit this social group

Old May 12, '09, 10:42 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default The Early Catholic Church allowed samesex marriages.

[FONT="Arial Black"][/font]

I am being bombarded by people who have discovered the book written by the former head of the Yale History Dept, by the name of John Boswell. In this book, I don't know the title, he claims that two Saints,Sergius and Baccahus, both Roman Soldiers around the year 303AD, were married in the Catholic Church, and that samesex marriages continued up to the 14th century. Can anyone tell me if this is true or not. I believe it is not true, but cannot find much out about the two saints in question.
Old May 13, '09, 8:18 pm
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic
Smile Re: The Early Catholic Church allowed samesex marriages.

Two saints living together and sharing their love for Jesus and the Church doesn't mean that they were sacramently married in the Catholic Church. The sin of sodomy is a capitol sin, very grave and anyone who dies with out sorrow for this sin and a valid confession quite likely will go to hell. Please believe me, they knew this !! They wouldn't have died for God if they we going to hell.
Even today, we respect our gay priests, the one's I know are extremely holy and celebrate, One I now is a pastor, and I hope that he will someday be elevated to Bishop. He could become a gay saint too.
Jesus sent hii apostles out two by two remember? I know some were married and they took their wives with them.
Same-sex marriages will never be okayed by christianity or any other religion because of sodomy. Marriage is a sacrament of the Roman Catholic Church, may not be a scrament in others, but is respected as a blessing of God making two people one to bring forth new creations to love honor and serve almighty God forever.
Same-sex supporters reject a civil union as an alternative to thier life style.
Its hard to realize that sodomy will put you into hell just as adultry and abortion can .These activities are serious offenses to God and His Church.
Sergius and Bacchus's close relationship has led many modern commenters to believe they were lovers. The most popular evidence for this view is that the oldest text of their martyrology, in the Greek language, describes them as "erastai", or lovers.[6] Yale historian John Boswell considered their relationship to be an example of an early Christian same-sex union, reflecting his contested view of tolerant early Christians attitudes toward homosexuality.[6] The artist Robert Lentz advocated this view,[7] portraying the men as a gay couple in his religious iconography painting. In his study on "The Origin of the Cult of SS. Sergius and Bacchus" David Woods classified some of Boswell's arguments as "superficial". Other historians and Byzantine analysts[citation needed], along with the official stance of the Eastern Orthodox Church, argue that the ancient Eastern tradition of adelphopoiia, which was done to form a "brotherhood" in the name of God, and is traditionally associated with these two saints, had no sexual implications.
Old May 14, '09, 12:43 am

Default Re: The Early Catholic Church allowed samesex marriages.

Thank you August. That is what I have been looking for, some evidence of the true relationship between the two Saints. The gay movement, based on John Boswell's books, are ready to make these two Saints, the patron Saints of the Gay Marriage. Hopefully, I will be able to get this across to some of the people I know.....Thanks again...Blessings and Peace....LayDominican
Old May 14, '09, 5:38 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by laydominican1 View Post

Thank you August. That is what I have been looking for, some evidence of the true relationship between the two Saints. The gay movement, based on John Boswell's books, are ready to make these two Saints, the patron Saints of the Gay Marriage. Hopefully, I will be able to get this across to some of the people I know.....Thanks again...Blessings and Peace....LayDominican
Keep the fire of faith lit, God Bless your work
Old May 17, '09, 7:28 am
Forum Elder

The works of John Boswell have been debunked here and in other places several times. Basically, his is a misreading of the texts.

see:
http://www.firstthings.com/article.php3?id_article=4511

http://www.paratheke.net/stephanos/articles/adelphopoiesis.html

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=98234&highlight=John+Bo swell

http://www.firstthings.com/article.p...e=john+boswell+

Last edited by gilliam; May 17, '09 at 9:29 am.
Old May 17, '09, 11:41 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilliam View Post
All in all, then, this book does not begin to accomplish what it set out to do. (The reviews, after the early burst of hopeful publicity, have been notably skeptical-even from sources one would expect to be favorable.) Indeed, the authorís painfully strained effort to recruit Christian history in support of the homosexual cause that he favors is not only a failure, but an embarrassing one.
Old Jun 1, '09, 2:32 pm
Banned

My question to you who are still here, is, if the gay male seems to want to ac female and the lesbein usually wants to act male., isn't that a connect? Do you know of any marriages between gay men and lesbien
ladies? Would that solve some of the problems that they have today?
Old Jun 24, '09, 8:18 pm
Banned

Is't this tread closed, is there any reason to keep this open?
I think the answer to the question is a resounding NO !!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Group Forums > History of the Catholic Church