Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 15, '09, 8:00 am
Banned

Religion: Christian
Default What is "taking the Lord's name in vain"?

Are popular expressions like: "oh my God!", or, "Good Lord!" taking the Lord's name in vain?

Old May 15, '09, 9:18 am

Default Re: What is "taking the Lord's name in vain"?

Hi Lisa - here's a link to an answer from the Ask an Apologist forum.

link
Old May 15, '09, 9:30 am
Banned

Thanks, that answers my first question, now....

Is saying "Jesus Christ!" as an exclamation taking the Lords name in vain or does it fall under the similar expressions pointed out by Fr Vincent Serpa as being acceptable?

Thanks

For those who don't open the link, the expressions -
Oh my God!
Good Lord!
Lord have Mercy!
Jesus, Mary, Joseph!

are not taking the Lords name in vain.
Old May 15, '09, 3:25 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa44 View Post
Thanks, that answers my first question, now....

Is saying "Jesus Christ!" as an exclamation taking the Lords name in vain or does it fall under the similar expressions pointed out by Fr Vincent Serpa as being acceptable?

Thanks

For those who don't open the link, the expressions -
Oh my God!
Good Lord!
Lord have Mercy!
Jesus, Mary, Joseph!

are not taking the Lords name in vain.
I notice that Fr. Serpa's answer is 5 years old. I wonder if he would still stand by it. I differ with him. Although these expressions aren't blasphemy, they are using the words 'Jesus' and 'God' in a thoughtless manner which is what 'in vain' means. To say, "Jesus Christ!!" or "Oh, my God" instead of the four letter words which this forum represents by **** is certainly disrespectful. When we become aware of this, we should not use them.
Old May 15, '09, 6:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire from DE View Post
I notice that Fr. Serpa's answer is 5 years old. I wonder if he would still stand by it. I differ with him. Although these expressions aren't blasphemy, they are using the words 'Jesus' and 'God' in a thoughtless manner which is what 'in vain' means. To say, "Jesus Christ!!" or "Oh, my God" instead of the four letter words which this forum represents by **** is certainly disrespectful. When we become aware of this, we should not use them.
I agree with you.

My confessor once suggested that if I thoughtlessly let an "Oh, my God!" slip, I should turn it into a prayer -- "I love you!"
Old May 15, '09, 6:21 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire from DE View Post
The Church teaching:

TAKING THE NAME OF THE LORD IN VAIN

CCC 2150 The second commandment forbids false oaths. Taking an oath or swearing is to take God as witness to what one affirms. It is to invoke the divine truthfulness as a pledge of one's own truthfulness. An oath engages the Lord's name. "You shall fear the LORD your God; you shall serve him, and swear by his name."

CCC 2151 Rejection of false oaths is a duty toward God. As Creator and Lord, God is the norm of all truth. Human speech is either in accord with or in opposition to God who is Truth itself. When it is truthful and legitimate, an oath highlights the relationship of human speech with God's truth. A false oath calls on God to be witness to a lie.

CCC 2152 A person commits perjury when he makes a promise under oath with no intention of keeping it, or when after promising on oath he does not keep it. Perjury is a grave lack of respect for the Lord of all speech. Pledging oneself by oath to commit an evil deed is contrary to the holiness of the divine name.

CCC 2153 In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus explained the second commandment: "You have heard that it was said to the men of old, 'You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform to the Lord what you have sworn.' But I say to you, Do not swear at all. . . . Let what you say be simply 'Yes' or 'No'; anything more than this comes from the evil one." Jesus teaches that every oath involves a reference to God and that God's presence and his truth must be honored in all speech. Discretion in calling upon God is allied with a respectful awareness of his presence, which all our assertions either witness to or mock.

CCC 2154 Following St. Paul, the tradition of the Church has understood Jesus' words as not excluding oaths made for grave and right reasons (for example, in court). "An oath, that is the invocation of the divine name as a witness to truth, cannot be taken unless in truth, in judgment, and in justice."

CCC 2155 The holiness of the divine name demands that we neither use it for trivial matters, nor take an oath which on the basis of the circumstances could be interpreted as approval of an authority unjustly requiring it. When an oath is required by illegitimate civil authorities, it may be refused. It must be refused when it is required for purposes contrary to the dignity of persons or to ecclesial communion.
Old May 16, '09, 7:17 am
Banned

The catechism says "the second commandment forbids every improper use of God's name."

The Catechism of Saint Pius X:

1 Q. What does the Second Commandment: Thou shalt not take the Name of God in vain, forbid?
A. The Second Commandment: Thou shalt not take the Name of God in vain, forbids us: (1) To utter the Name of God irreverently; (2) To blaspheme God, the Blessed Virgin or the Saints; (3) To take false, unnecessary, or unlawful oaths.

2 Q. What is meant by: Not to utter the Name of God irreverently?
A. Not to utter the Name of God irreverently means not to mention this Holy Name, or any other name that in a special way refers to God Himself, such as the name of Jesus, of Mary and the Saints, in anger or in joke or in any irreverent way whatsoever.

Another catechism-

Q. What is commanded by this precept?
A. To speak always with reverence of God, and his saints.

Okay, thanks all, I think I'll stick to my original assumption that using the word God or Lord in any context, except prayer or conversation pertaining to, is inappropriate.
Old May 19, '09, 3:16 am

Send a message via MSN to Appleby

For those who may not know, the reason *bloody* is considered an improper oath is that it is a contraction of By Our Lady.

American Boots on the Moon - 1969
Old May 19, '09, 6:57 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleby View Post
For those who may not know, the reason *bloody* is considered an improper oath is that it is a contraction of By Our Lady.
I didn't know that. Thanks.
Old May 19, '09, 3:38 pm
Prayer Warrior

I know a mother who discourages her children from saying even "Oh my gosh!" because it is just a slip of the tongue away from taking God's name in vain. Maybe she has a point. I feel the same way about the now popular "word" OMG. Some people (if not everyone) don't mean "oh my gosh".
Old May 20, '09, 1:10 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Really? My Brit Lit study guide said it refers to the bloody wounds of Christ crucified.
Old May 21, '09, 2:09 pm
Banned

Some people may say the name of God as a prayer or in a time of trial because they are asking for God's help. God does not judge us by our words but by our heart and if our intention is to insult God then it is a venial sin, but if our intention is not to insult then God knows this. In my opinion taking the name of the Lord in vain is to call ourself a Christian and take Christ's name without living according to his teachings. All sin is blasphemy. I think this is a worse form of blasphemy as it can give Christ a bad reputation.
Old May 23, '09, 7:11 pm
Banned

Religion: Christian, contemplating Catholicism

Quote:
Originally Posted by monorail View Post
My confessor once suggested that if I thoughtlessly let an "Oh, my God!" slip, I should turn it into a prayer -- "I love you!"
That's foolishness. You might be able to placate the audience who heard you blaspheme, but God knows the ``I love you`` wasn`t the continuation of a prayer. I`m surprised at how lenient everyone is on this issue. None of the expressions Fr. Serpa has outlined are acceptable in casual discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgie2 View Post
God does not judge us by our words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus
But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.
I'm afraid God does precisely that.

Why search for lieniency in God's word? Suffice just to say "Gosh" or "Oh my Goodness" if you must say something.
Old May 24, '09, 1:04 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by monorail View Post
Or maybe: add a real heart-felt prayer of repentance - "Forgive me Lord" - and then confess the sin later too.

Christ does know our weakness and will forgive us. I think a quick prayer after a sin will please Him even though the sin does not.
... the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words?... Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? Tell me if thou hast understanding. -- Job 38 1-4

Last edited by nkbeth; May 24, '09 at 1:19 pm.
Old May 26, '09, 5:37 am
Banned
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Whenever we invoke God's name, it should be done with reverence and respect -- never thoughtlessly or in a less than respectful manner.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology