Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old May 16, '09, 6:15 pm

Religion: raised Catholic
Default Did the Pope say that God and Allah are the same person?

I heard today from a friend that the Pope recently said that Muslims and Catholics worship the same god/God. Is that accurate? I mean ... did the Pope make that statement?
Old May 16, '09, 6:18 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Did the Pope say that God and Allah are the same person?

We both worship the God of Abraham.

Muslims Worship the One True God
Only Their ‘Receiving Apparatus’ Is Defective

"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is a thought of God."

“Science presupposes the trustworthy, intelligent structure of matter, the ‘design’ of creation.”

"A man of conscience, is one who never acquires tolerance, well- being, success, public standing, and approval on the part of prevailing opinion, at the expense of truth."
Pope Benedict XVI

Old May 16, '09, 6:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalo View Post

This is confusing.
I know very little of the Koran but I have been under the impression that the character traits of the god "Allah" as expressed in the Koran is very different than the character traits of God as expressed in the Bible. In addition the Koran calls for the subjugation or destruction of all non Muslims... as has happened to Christian believers in Syria over the last 40 years.
Old May 16, '09, 6:46 pm
Banned

So, does that mean that Judaism worships the same God too, since they worship the God of Abraham?
Old May 16, '09, 6:48 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassiusLonginus View Post
So, does that mean that Judaism worships the same God too, since they worship the God of Abraham?
Yes.

"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is a thought of God."

“Science presupposes the trustworthy, intelligent structure of matter, the ‘design’ of creation.”

"A man of conscience, is one who never acquires tolerance, well- being, success, public standing, and approval on the part of prevailing opinion, at the expense of truth."
Pope Benedict XVI

Old May 16, '09, 7:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassiusLonginus View Post
It is my understanding that Judaism believes in the same God (described in the Bible) as the Catholics and all other Christian denominations do but many people that practice Judaism (not all) do not believe that Jesus is the Son of God and do not believe that Jesus died for our sins.
Old May 16, '09, 7:23 pm
Forum Elder

See NOSTRA AETATE from Vatican II.
Quote:
The Church regards with esteem also the Moslems. They adore the one God, living and subsisting in Himself; merciful and all- powerful, the Creator of heaven and earth,(5) who has spoken to men; they take pains to submit wholeheartedly to even His inscrutable decrees, just as Abraham, with whom the faith of Islam takes pleasure in linking itself, submitted to God. Though they do not acknowledge Jesus as God, they revere Him as a prophet. They also honor Mary, His virgin Mother; at times they even call on her with devotion. In addition, they await the day of judgment when God will render their deserts to all those who have been raised up from the dead. Finally, they value the moral life and worship God especially through prayer, almsgiving and fasting.
As I understand it, those who worship one God by definition are worshiping the same God; there is only One. That they don't all have the same understanding of Him is reasonable. No one understands Him completely.
Old May 16, '09, 8:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1way View Post
I heard today from a friend that the Pope recently said that Muslims and Catholics worship the same god/God. Is that accurate? I mean ... did the Pope make that statement?
I'm sure he did. The Muslims attempt to worship the same God we do, they just do so incorrectly. Same goes for the Jews. Both religions misunderstand the fundamental nature of God, i.e. they do not recognize the Trinity.

God Bless
Old May 16, '09, 9:17 pm

Allah is the Arabic word for God. I'm from Indonesia and in our bible translation, we use the word Allah for God.

In respect to Muslim's understanding of God, I tend to compare their understanding to how the Israelite understand God during their journey in the wildernes/desert. The Israelite saw God as the punishing and harsh God i.e. Moses ordered the Levites to slaughter the Golden Calf worshippers.

We Christian has been visited by God Himself through the birth of Jesus Christ and more have been revealed about the nature of God to us than Muslims. We know that God wants a closer relationship than a mere Master/slave relationship, but Father/Children relationship. Jesus is the Firstborn i.e. we are the younger siblings trying to be closer to God.

Let's just pray that Muslims (or all other religions in the world) could be invited to a closer relationship with God like the one we are graced. Afterall we are all the sons of man trying to redeem ourselves to be the sons of God - the heirs of the Kingdom of Gods.

God Bless

PS: thanks for the article link from The Rock.
Old May 16, '09, 10:22 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1way View Post
I have not heard that staement, but I do know that Christians, Jews , and Muslims, all worship the same God. But Jews and Muslims refused to listen to God when He fully revealed Himself to us (the Blessed Trinity). Also Muslims and Jews have a different concept of God than what Christians have because of this revelation.

PAX DOMINI

Shalom Aleichem
Old Jun 1, '09, 6:16 am
Banned

Yes, pope says that God and Allah are the same person. He also says that they have equal power.
Old Jun 2, '09, 8:28 am

Religion: Amateur Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Kelley View Post
As I understand it, those who worship one God by definition are worshiping the same God; there is only One. That they don't all have the same understanding of Him is reasonable. No one understands Him completely.

God is by definition beyond definition.

Who wants to see God? Cry to the Lord with an intensely yearning heart and you will certainly see Him. People shed jugs of tears for money, wife, and children. But if they would weep for God for only one day they would surely see Him.
Old Jun 2, '09, 8:38 am

We're all on the same train to salvation....

The Catholics are in first class. The SSPX are in second class, along with other Christian denominations. The Muslims are in the coal bunker.

But it don't matter, cause we're all going to the same place! YAY!

(the above does not reflect my own views. It is what was puked (sorry for the disresepect, but one cannot revere a falsehood) by a prominent Catholic priest, to a good friend of mine....)

Why would you be a Catholic? Hell, its so much harder to be a good Catholic than a good (false) Christian!

Bring on our new understanding of the truth!
Old Jun 2, '09, 8:48 am

Religion: Jesus Buddhist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 603304529 View Post
We're all on the same train to salvation....

The Catholics are in first class. The SSPX are in second class, along with other Christian denominations. The Muslims are in the coal bunker.
And the Jews are taking the plane.
Old Jun 2, '09, 9:12 am

Planes aren't all that safe my friend.

Judaism has been superceded by Christianity.

Sorry! But as my good wife says, facts are stubborn things.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism