Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 20, '09, 5:51 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Will more people go to Hell than Heaven?

Someone else in the this forum said this and that is it is in the Bible.

Is this true?
Old May 20, '09, 6:15 pm

Religion: Catholic (revert)
Default Re: Will more people go to Hell than Heaven?

They are probably referring to the wide path and the narrow path, but that doesn't necessarily translate to many people in hell, few people in heaven. A bridge may be a narrow path, but most people manage to cross it without driving into the water. It just takes some effort (and of course, in the case of salvation, the grace of God).

G.K. Chesterton
Old May 20, '09, 7:06 pm

Many are called, few are chosen. Mt 22:14
Old May 20, '09, 7:29 pm

Religion: Lutheran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VociMike View Post
They are probably referring to the wide path and the narrow path, but that doesn't necessarily translate to many people in hell, few people in heaven. A bridge may be a narrow path, but most people manage to cross it without driving into the water. It just takes some effort (and of course, in the case of salvation, the grace of God).
"The Catholic Church is the only thing which saves a man from the degrading slavery of being a child of his age."
Could you please explain this quote. The Catholic Church is the only thing which saves a man from the degrading slavery of "being a child of his age".
What does that mean?
What is this degrading slavery?
And a child of his age,does this mean someone who lives in this day and time (age).
Or a man who acts like a child?
The Catholic Church is the only thing which saves a man from the "degrading slavery" of being a person who acts like a child. So if they are a slave to acting like a child,they are degraded.
Or is this saving a man from the "degrading slavery" of living in this day and age.
Degrading=to lower in rank
slavery=drool or another meaning " to voice elaborate praise".
Does this mean that the Catholic Church is the only thing that can save us from being put down and kept living below what God would want for us in this day and age?
Old May 20, '09, 10:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina009 View Post
"The Catholic Church is the only thing which saves a man from the degrading slavery of being a child of his age."
Could you please explain this quote. The Catholic Church is the only thing which saves a man from the degrading slavery of "being a child of his age".
What does that mean?
What is this degrading slavery?
And a child of his age,does this mean someone who lives in this day and time (age).
Or a man who acts like a child?
The Catholic Church is the only thing which saves a man from the "degrading slavery" of being a person who acts like a child. So if they are a slave to acting like a child,they are degraded.
Or is this saving a man from the "degrading slavery" of living in this day and age.
Degrading=to lower in rank
slavery=drool or another meaning " to voice elaborate praise".
Does this mean that the Catholic Church is the only thing that can save us from being put down and kept living below what God would want for us in this day and age?
That would be a quote from GK Chesterton. There was a recent broadcast of Catholic Answers Live on Chesterton which I recommend you hear: http://www.catholic.com/radio/calendar.php (Friday May 8, 2009)

On your question about what it means, it's not literally acting like a child.
Quote:
Chesterton argues that the Catholic Church has all the freshness of a new religion, but it also has the richness of an old religion. It does not change with people’s tastes. It is a religion that binds men to their morality even when they are not in the mood to be moral. The Church often has to go against the grain of the world.
So when he speaks of "slavery of 'being a child of his age'", he means someone who is bound to the current beliefs of his/her times. In our current times it means contracepting, abortion, gay marriage, etc.

Chesterton realizes that what the Church teaches is timeless because she's been teaching the same things for almost 2000 years and yet those teachings continue to resonate to this day, "fresh" like a contemporary religion but with so much more backing her up.

So yes, the Catholic Church does "teach how to avoid being a slave to the times", how to avoid fallacies or what's "hip" in our present day. Why? Because her teachings are timeless because they're founded on God's word. "Upon this rock I will build my Church" were His words, and for centuries it has endured thanks to His promise that "the gates of hell shall not prevail against it". Nothing man-made could last this long, especially without contradicting itself on what it teaches. It is the one true Church, and it holds the fullness of Truth which shows us the way.

-----
As for the topic. We can only pray and trust in God's mercy that many will be saved. We should not be worrying about who is going to Hell but instead on our salvation and that of those around us.
Old May 21, '09, 5:31 am

Religion: Catholic (revert)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina009 View Post
The best answer I could give is to point you to the work from which it comes:

http://www.cin.org/users/james/ebook...rton/conv0.htm

Quote:
Something like that. In every age, some truths are forgotten, some are exaggerated, and nearly all are distorted. Without the divine revelation which God has given into the care of the Catholic Church, one cannot "stand above" the errors and distortions of one's own age and see the truth clearly, and live one's life in line with that truth.

G.K. Chesterton
Old May 21, '09, 9:54 am
Forum Supporter

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFrancis View Post

Is this true?
It's a sobering question. I was pondering it a while back and decided to leave well enough alone. I trust that God will save all those who come to Him in love and grace. Who knows what that number will be? I earnestly hope that it will be the majority of humanity, but I doubt it. I seriously doubt it.

There was a quote, I forget from whom, that said something along the lines of, "Would God let the devil have the greater number of souls after performing this great salvation?" [paraphrased from memory...probably badly, lol].

Anticipation of suffering is worse than living with the results of making the right decision.

St. Joseph Communications
Old May 22, '09, 5:01 am
Radio Club Member

Well, one-third of the angels rebelled and were cast out of Heaven so I figure humans will do at least as badly and maybe worse.

I don't know if it matters how many people wind up in Hell except to remember that going there is a real possibility. Over the last several decades due to poor teaching I think a lot of folks believe Hell is just for really bad people like Hitler, Jack the Ripper, Ted Bundy, and the like -- as for themselves, "I'm a good person."

Old May 29, '09, 12:23 am
Banned

Its true.
More people go to hell for the sins which they done in his life and there only numbers of people who don't do sins in his life and after died they go to heaven.
Old May 20, '10, 4:22 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Revelation 7:9

After this I looked and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and in front of the Lamb. They were wearing white robes and were holding palm branches in their hands.

Sounds to me like there will still be a sizable amount of people saved through God's Infinite Mercy!

Old May 20, '10, 4:55 am
Banned

Religion: catholic

No. //// Not per testimony of Christ in scriptures. Few will find the NARROW gate.

Many polls find only around 20% [of Church goers] are devout. This suggests a smaller % of the overall population are seekers of the Kingdom of Christ.

God alone knows the final % .... but, Christ who is unified with the Father, teaches that only a minority will find the Kingdom, by being OBEDIENT to him and his teachings.
Old May 20, '10, 5:58 am
Banned

Religion: bible believing Christian

Hi all

very good question

in answering.... I believe one has to be aware of what exactly is the deciding factor on who goes to heaven and who goes to hell

once we have that answer, then we can better answer the thread's question

I believe everyone in this world falls into one of three categorie...

have not heard
non-believers
believers/Christians

1. I believe all the people in 3rd world countries and all are native tribes are destined for hell

I know this may sound harsh to many people ...but this is not my word it is God's
I addessed it in this thread....

http://forums.catholic.com/showpost....06&postcount=6

2. then there all those people who heard about God and/or Jesus Christ who have rejected/denied our Good Lord's existance and that by Jesus's death on the cross our sins are forgiven.

Quote:
But whoever denies Me before men, him I will also deny before My Father who is in heaven. Matthew 10:33
3. then there are Christians. Do all christians make it to heaven. I do not believe so
so....

what is the deciding factor within the Christian family on who goes to heaven and who doesn't?

that is one purpose of me being here ...is to seek out that answer and I believe I found it.

consider what MelanieAnne said to me in another thread
Quote:
The problem often is in the definition of terms. We can all talk about various things but if we don't define certain words and terms precisely, we may be talking past each other.
how many can relate?

having said that, consider this,,,.

I once came on this forum asking catholics if they were to die right know do they know for sure they are saved and will be in heaven?

You can imagine the response, but then I learned the language of Catholics so they can better understand what I was asking and then.....

Praise God for LilyM in this thread
http://forums.catholic.com/showpost....5&postcount=33

who posted
Quote:
Of course one confesses to God directly as soon as one becomes aware of and/or repentant for one's sins.

And one will be saved by doing so - IF one dies without having had the opportunity to go to confession.
Believe it or not Lily was the first Catholic on here I heard acknowledge that to me

My problem.....I knew catholics believe this in their heart, but I did not know how to communicate with them

having said that....I believe all I stated above is true and by that.....

I believe the people who are destined for hell (those who reject Christ or never heard) far outnumber the christians who will go to heaven.

My christian friends....if I may add

the fields are ripe for the harvest

there will be many people who will spend eternity in hell because of their sin.

May God send the missionaries to 3rd world countries to native tribes to spread the good news

May God send us to our mission field in our own neighborhoods, workplace, schools, grocery stores, shopping malls etc

God bless

mpjw
Old May 20, '10, 6:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFrancis View Post

Is this true?
No that is not true. The Bible does not say, nor imply that.
Old May 20, '10, 10:24 am
Book Club Member

Send a message via AIM to Mijoy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpjw2 View Post
Hi all

very good question

in answering.... I believe one has to be aware of what exactly is the deciding factor on who goes to heaven and who goes to hell

once we have that answer, then we can better answer the thread's question

I believe everyone in this world falls into one of three categorie...

have not heard
non-believers
believers/Christians

1. I believe all the people in 3rd world countries and all are native tribes are destined for hell

God bless

mpjw
This is why I rejected prostantism when I was attempting to seek the Truth. This concept floored me with it's lack of logic and love.

When I didscovered Catholicism did not subscribe to this way of thinking, and backed Her belief with Sacred Scripture, reason and tradition, I knew which way I had to turn.
Old May 20, '10, 6:01 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpjw2 View Post

I know this may sound harsh to many people ...but this is not my word it is God's
I addessed it in this thread....
If you had been born an American Indian in say 1491 AD, and died w/o hearing of Christ and the Gospel, ..... would you be suggesting you are deserving of a destiny in Hell ?

Did not Christ teach that people will be judged on basis of their knowledge & understanding, and how they lived and treated their fellowman ? Can we be sure that the pre-Columbian Indians will not be given a fair opportunity to accept/reject Christ at their judgment ? The Beatitudes and the scriptures teach that God alone has the full knowledge, and ability to judge fairly ? We are specifically warned not to judge others, lest we incur God's anger.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics