Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 29, '09, 6:49 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default What to do with all of the unwanted babies?

AS A CATHOLIC AND PRO-LIFE, I AM OFTEN ASKED "IF ABORTION WAS ILLEGAL,WHAT WOULD SOCIETY DO WITH ALL OF THE UNWANTED BABIES?" I REPLY THAT PARENTS WOULD HAVE TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THERE ACTIONS AND PROVIDE FOR THEIR CHILDREN. WE KNOW THAT WILL NOT ALWAYS BE THE CASE, AND THAT GOVERNMENT CAN NOT AFFORD TO PAY FOR THIS. I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE ANY INPUT FROM THE READERS TO HELP ME GIVE A BETTER UNDERSTANDING TO THIS IMPORTANT ISSUE.
GOD BLESS
GREATFULONEjim
Old May 29, '09, 7:42 am

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via MSN to scott1228 Send a message via Yahoo to scott1228
Default Re: What to do with all of the unwanted babies?

The question is mis-stated. There are no such things as unwanted babies. God creates life and loves each human person. It would be better rephrased as what to do with the babies whose parents do not want them? Answer, give them to parents that do.

As long as there is a consequence to the action, the unexpected pregnancies would decrease. Since there is now an easy way to avoid responsibility, there is no need for people to take responsibility.

Scott
Old May 29, '09, 8:17 am
Prayer Warrior

We can easily solve the problem of "unwanted babies" by wanting babies.

People do want babies. Interesting that as abortion rates increase, people with infertility problems turned to extra-ordinary means to make babies. (IVF created another moral question: What do we do with all the "unwanted" frozen embryos?) Infertile couples wanting a baby used to adopt them. Some still do, but there are fewer babies available for adoption because of abortion.

First we separated love-making from baby-making, then we separated baby-making from love-making. People want babies, and people want to make love--we've somehow forgotten that the activity that makes one, makes the other.
Old May 29, '09, 9:00 am

the problem is with the very expression of Unwanted. All human life is prescious. The conscience of the county needs to be changes to see that life is to be respected and celebrated.
The Church offers help to those mothers who may need help with medical help and even adoption. THERE ARE OPTIONS!
Peace, FAB
Old May 29, '09, 11:59 am
Forum Elder

If abortion were not legal, people would do what they did before 1973:

(a) change their behavior
(b) parent their children
(c) place their children for adoption

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old May 29, '09, 1:30 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Becoming Roman Catholic
Send a message via MSN to TamM

We promote Adoption!!

We could also make it easier for people who aren't rich but loving, who maybe are single but pyschologically and financially sound, etc

God Bless

Old May 29, '09, 1:47 pm

Religion: Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamM View Post
We promote Adoption!!

We could also make it easier for people who aren't rich but loving, who maybe are single but pyschologically and financially sound, etc
So far you are the only one with a response that even comes close to answering the question in a practical way.

There have always been kids that the parents didn't want or were incapable or taking care of. There always will be. It's a sad fact, but a fact nontheless. Ignoring it with "we'll make every child wanted" platitudes helps these kids not one bit. You need to see the enormity of the problem here. And take a long hard look at the world at the same time. There are always numerous threads on CAF about the role of the government and social welfare programs. Private charity can't handle the problems we've got now (actually, the gov can't either but does have more resources). So who is going to take care of these kids? Who is going to pay for it? What about mixed race kids and children of color - I understand the adoption rates are much lower for them. What about kids with serious health issues - who'll pay for their treatment? Just look at the foster care system in this country. Many are problem kids and guess what? From the low rate of good foster care families, I'd say most folks don't want them, as horrible as that is. We can't take care of the kids we've got now, for pete's sake. So, please, if anyone has any real, practical solutions, let's hear them.

Old May 29, '09, 2:01 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
So far you are the only one with a response that even comes close to answering the question in a practical way.

There have always been kids that the parents didn't want or were incapable or taking care of. There always will be. It's a sad fact, but a fact nontheless. Ignoring it with "we'll make every child wanted" platitudes helps these kids not one bit. You need to see the enormity of the problem here. And take a long hard look at the world at the same time. There are always numerous threads on CAF about the role of the government and social welfare programs. Private charity can't handle the problems we've got now (actually, the gov can't either but does have more resources). So who is going to take care of these kids? Who is going to pay for it? What about mixed race kids and children of color - I understand the adoption rates are much lower for them. What about kids with serious health issues - who'll pay for their treatment? Just look at the foster care system in this country. Many are problem kids and guess what? From the low rate of good foster care families, I'd say most folks don't want them, as horrible as that is. We can't take care of the kids we've got now, for pete's sake. So, please, if anyone has any real, practical solutions, let's hear them.
YES, THIS IS WHAT I NEED. I WORK WITH MANY THAT ARE PRO-CHOICE[ABORTION] AND I NEED SOME GOOD, SOLID FACTS TO REPLY TO THE CONSTANT BARRAGE OF THOSE WHO DO NOT HOLD LIFE AS SACRED AS I DO.
GREATFULONEjim
Old May 29, '09, 2:13 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRATEFULONEjim View Post
YES, THIS IS WHAT I NEED. I WORK WITH MANY THAT ARE PRO-CHOICE[ABORTION] AND I NEED SOME GOOD, SOLID FACTS TO REPLY TO THE CONSTANT BARRAGE OF THOSE WHO DO NOT HOLD LIFE AS SACRED AS I DO.
GREATFULONEjim
I recommend Randy Alcorn's book Pro-Life Answers To Pro-Choice Arguments. It's excellent.
It has many facts, statistics, and answers to the social, political, emotional, financial, and biological aspects abortion. It covers the socio-economic arguments you are likely encountering, including debunking the "back alley abortion" myth.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old May 29, '09, 2:17 pm
Banned

Just to help those reading, could you stop posting in all-caps? Not only is it harder to read, it's the internet equivalent of shouting.
Old May 29, '09, 2:21 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
I recommend Randy Alcorn's book Pro-Life Answers To Pro-Choice Arguments. It's excellent.
It has many facts, statistics, and answers to the social, political, emotional, financial, and biological aspects abortion. It covers the socio-economic arguments you are likely encountering, including debunking the "back alley abortion" myth.
thanx,and god bless:
GREATFULONEjim
Old May 29, '09, 3:57 pm

Quote:

Your answer to all of this is to follow the word of Christ. If evey Christian and any of the others represented by the symbles you posted fully and completely stepped up to the plate, all thse questions would be taken care of. I know the Catholic Church already adresses all these issues through Catholic Charities and other organizations. Just because there are problems, doesn't mean that death of the unborn is required. What a cold heatless way of looking at the life and needs of children. If this country were to choose life, and put as much effort and money into defending life, as organizations such as Planned Parenthood put into ending it these issues would be solved.
Examle, Planned Parenthood in Houston is building what will be the largest abortion clinic in Texas. It is costing millions. Just think of how many adoptions, how many health issues solved, how that money could be used to help children could be helped with that money. But instead, how many thousand of inocent children will be put to death without any reason than they are not wanted. May God have mercy on us all!

FAB
Old May 29, '09, 5:31 pm

Religion: Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAB View Post
Your answer to all of this is to follow the word of Christ. If evey Christian and any of the others represented by the symbles you posted fully and completely stepped up to the plate, all thse questions would be taken care of. I know the Catholic Church already adresses all these issues through Catholic Charities and other organizations. Just because there are problems, doesn't mean that death of the unborn is required. What a cold heatless way of looking at the life and needs of children. If this country were to choose life, and put as much effort and money into defending life, as organizations such as Planned Parenthood put into ending it these issues would be solved.
Examle, Planned Parenthood in Houston is building what will be the largest abortion clinic in Texas. It is costing millions. Just think of how many adoptions, how many health issues solved, how that money could be used to help children could be helped with that money. But instead, how many thousand of inocent children will be put to death without any reason than they are not wanted. May God have mercy on us all!

FAB
I know you mean this sincerely, but it really isn't an answer. We aren't going to magicallyl stop people from doing irresponsible things and unwanted kids will be the result. The question is not so much what to do with the parents as it is what to do with the kids. There are going to be women who for one reason or another - it doesn't matter the reason - who are not going to keep their kids. So who will take care of them? What resources will they use? Forget the parents - you many be able to talk some into keeping their kids, but probably not nearly all of them. The poorest women, the women of color, the women whose kids have health issues and birth defects - these are going to be the majority of the ones that will need care, care the parents cannot or will not provide.
I'm not saying one should have ideals, but you have to be practical too. Expecting all these parents to suddenly change their behavior isn't practical. What will you do with the children?

Old May 31, '09, 5:47 am

Quote:
I know you mean this sincerely, but it really isn't an answer. We aren't going to magicallyl stop people from doing irresponsible things and unwanted kids will be the result. The question is not so much what to do with the parents as it is what to do with the kids. There are going to be women who for one reason or another - it doesn't matter the reason - who are not going to keep their kids. So who will take care of them? What resources will they use? Forget the parents - you many be able to talk some into keeping their kids, but probably not nearly all of them. The poorest women, the women of color, the women whose kids have health issues and birth defects - these are going to be the majority of the ones that will need care, care the parents cannot or will not provide.
I'm not saying one should have ideals, but you have to be practical too. Expecting all these parents to suddenly change their behavior isn't practical. What will you do with the children?
Thank you on so many levels, Swan! I asked questions somewhat similar to these on another message board, and of course, they went ignored. Instead of someone replying, "You know, we just don't have the answer to what should be done once children are born to parents who just aren't willing to raise them, but that's something we need to look deeply into," we choose to ignore the situation all together. Yes, the needs of an unborn child are important, and so is his/her needs once he/she is born! I'm one who doesn't like to discuss my past (particularly in this type of capacity), but I feel the need to be a representative for these children. Because I was one of them. My parents did not get that "loving" feeling once I was born. My parents didn't follow the word of Christ because they weren't Christians; no angelic Catholic charity swooped down to take care of the needs of me and my siblings; and no, I most certainly wasn't adopted by a nice, warm, nurturing family. We do exist in the world- children who aren't wanted by the people who are supposed to love them and those who don't want to deal with raising children who don't particularly look like them. It is a reality, and we all need to start paying attention. Now, for all of you who are champions for adoption, you must ask yourselves some pertinent questions: 1) will I adopt? 2) will I adopt an American child? 3) will I adopt a child of a different race? 4) will I adopt a child with mental and/or physical disabilities. For those of you who actually practice, and will practice, what you preach, I thank you, thank you, thank you!! For those of you advocate for adoption and being exemplary Christians, but have never once even considered doing it yourselves, this post is for you!
Old May 31, '09, 5:49 am

If abortion was illegal, people would still be doing abortions. Remember the Probation? Same thing.

If people were loving, than babies would be adopted. For this reason, we pray.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice