Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 31, '09, 12:18 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Holy Orders - When a priest takes a leave of absence

What happens when a priest goes on leave of absence?

What must he do?

What may he do?

What must he not do?

Do they ever come back, or is it just a formality while they make wedding plans?

Thanks,
Betsy

Baltimore Catholics join me here!
Old May 31, '09, 2:41 pm

Send a message via AIM to marleelynn Send a message via MSN to marleelynn Send a message via Yahoo to marleelynn
Default Re: Holy Orders - When a priest takes a leave of absence

not sure what a priest does when they take leave. I think they can do the sacraments in an emergency

[edited]

Last edited by Jean Anthony; Jun 2, '09 at 9:05 am. Reason: named priest
Old May 31, '09, 4:03 pm
Forum Master

Religion: Roman Catholic

A certain priest that I know went on a leave of absence to enter an alcohol rehab center. After several months, he returned, sober and teetotaling (absolutely fine by me and my husband!). The information about his leave of absence was made public to the parish, so it's not a piece of gossip. I personally think this has made him an even better priest.

My point is, don't assume anything about a leave of absence. There are a lot of reasons and many of them are very legitimate.
Old May 31, '09, 4:10 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

I know a wonderful priest who returned to his home to town on a leave of abscence in order to tend to an ailing parent. I believe it was originally anticipated to be a short stay, however the Father's father is still hanging in there. We've been able to enjoy having this fine man as an extern priest for a couple of years now. It will be doubly sad when his father, a long time parishioner, passes on and the Father has to move on back to his old diocese.
Old May 31, '09, 4:11 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
My point is, don't assume anything about a leave of absence. There are a lot of reasons and many of them are very legitimate.
I know another priest that took a leave of absence to care for a terminally ill parent.

He still retained all his faculties (could say Mass, hear confessions, Annoint etc..), but had no obligations at a parish.
Old May 31, '09, 5:47 pm

The one I have in mind is doing it because of a vocational crisis. He's trying to figure out what God is really calling him to - priesthood or marriage. I wonder how many who leave under these circumstances actually return.

Betsy

Old May 31, '09, 6:03 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltobetsy View Post
The one I have in mind is doing it because of a vocational crisis. He's trying to figure out what God is really calling him to - priesthood or marriage. I wonder how many who leave under these circumstances actually return.
You know, I think I would find myself feeling betrayed if I was one of the priest's parishioners and that it'd a take a while for me to get over feeling that way. I can see that is a situation that would require a lot of prayer both for the shepherd as well as the flock. Hopefully it won't become messy (messier) and that everyone will all be to able to discern and understand the will of the Holy Spirit.

How tough that must be. Hopefully a mutually acceptable learning moment can come of it.

Peace and continued Prayers
Old May 31, '09, 6:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by basenji View Post
Peace and continued Prayers
Thanks - we need it!

Betsy

Old Jun 1, '09, 5:22 am
Forum Master

Religion: Roman Catholic

That's a toughie, but at least he had the fortitude to take a leave of absence and seek the Lord over it.

Perhaps this is when some of the more extreme abuses occur--an uncertain priest has a chip on his shoulder, or a case of resentment against his calling, and instead of taking a leave and devoting himself to prayer and discernment, instead he acts out and takes on authority that he doesn't possess and makes "improvements" in the Mass. Eventually he is challenged over the abuses, and this makes him angry and gives him an excuse to walk away from the priesthood and sometimes even the Catholic Church. He can claim that he was "driven out."

Sad scenaria, isn't it? And I'm guessing it happens.
Old Jun 1, '09, 9:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
That's a toughie, but at least he had the fortitude to take a leave of absence and seek the Lord over it.

Perhaps this is when some of the more extreme abuses occur--an uncertain priest has a chip on his shoulder, or a case of resentment against his calling, and instead of taking a leave and devoting himself to prayer and discernment, instead he acts out and takes on authority that he doesn't possess and makes "improvements" in the Mass. Eventually he is challenged over the abuses, and this makes him angry and gives him an excuse to walk away from the priesthood and sometimes even the Catholic Church. He can claim that he was "driven out."

Sad scenaria, isn't it? And I'm guessing it happens.
Not this one. He does every word and gesture in the Mass perfectly. For heaven's sake, he bows his head at the mention of the name of the Saint of the day. I'll bet most priests don't even know that's supposed to be done.

I just hope he's really discerning and doesn't already have his mind made up.

Betsy

Old Jun 1, '09, 10:40 am

This priest certainly has a crisis, since, for him (and all priests) the time of discernment is long past!

The years in the Seminary is the time for discernment. That ends when he accepts his bishop's invitation to be ordained.

If God was calling him to the vocation of marriage, once he is ordained a priest that then becomes his vocation, regardless of what God was calling him to before. We can make errors in our discernment, but once the decision is made, whatever we have chosen then becomes our vocation.

What this priest needs is to accept that, now that he is a priest, he needs to stop thinking "what if I made the wrong decision" and dedicate himself totally to being a priest. This is his path to holiness.

It's not enough to be good; you need to show it. What would you say of a rose bush which produced only thorns?#735, Furrow - St. Josemaria Escriva
Old Jun 1, '09, 11:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan M View Post
This priest certainly has a crisis, since, for him (and all priests) the time of discernment is long past!

The years in the Seminary is the time for discernment. That ends when he accepts his bishop's invitation to be ordained.

If God was calling him to the vocation of marriage, once he is ordained a priest that then becomes his vocation, regardless of what God was calling him to before. We can make errors in our discernment, but once the decision is made, whatever we have chosen then becomes our vocation.

What this priest needs is to accept that, now that he is a priest, he needs to stop thinking "what if I made the wrong decision" and dedicate himself totally to being a priest. This is his path to holiness.
Exactly what I've planned already to say to him if I ever see him again. After I smack him upside the head and say "What are you thinking????"

Betsy

Old Jun 1, '09, 1:30 pm

I know several priests who left the priesthood and were laicized because in the seminary they were told "don't worry about being called to marriage. The church is about to change that". There were so many witnesses that it was obvious that these men were betrayed.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments