Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jun 1, '09, 10:46 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Character of the Twelve Apostles

Peter: Formerly known as Simon. Brother of Andrew. Fisherman. Married. Irresolute character, strong fidelity to Jesus, steadfast faith, zealous and enthusaistic, gullible, rash in words and in action. Taught his son Mark the gospel, who in turn became an Evangelist (Gospel of Mark).

Andrew: Brother of Peter. Fisherman. Brave, authoritive, trustworthy.

James the Greater: First cousin of Jesus. Older brother of John. Disciple of John the Baptist. Wealthy parents. Fiery temperment, religious, hardy, industrious, brave, strong defender of the Jewish nation. He was taller ("greater") than James the Lesser.

Philip: Disciple of John the Baptist. Gullible, shy, sober-minded.

Bartholomew: His real name is not known. "Bartholomew" is an ancient Hebrew name, used to show he was of Hebrew descent.

Matthew: Formerly known as Levi. Publican, despised by the Pharisees. Evangelist (Gospel of Matthew).

John: First cousin of Jesus. Younger brother of James the Greater. Disciple of John the Baptist. Wealthy parents. Like James, he had a fiery temperament, was religious, hardy, industrious, brave, stronger defender of the Jewish nation. Evangelist (Gospel of John).

Thomas: Twin. Zealous, strong fidelity to Jesus, smart, rash in words.

James the Less: Second cousin of Jesus. Brother of Jude. Pious Jew, studied in the Scriptures, rigorous observer of the Law. He was shorter ("less") than James the Greater.

Jude: Second cousin of Jesus. Brother of James the Less. Married. Did not fully believe in Jesus until after His Resurrection.

Simon the Zealous: Bridegroom in the wedding at Cana. Married. Zealous, strong fidelity to Jesus.

Judas: Thief. Betrayer of Jesus. Only non-Galileian among the Twelve. Deceiving, greedy. Repented after handing over Jesus, but blasmpheized the Holy Spirit and, in his despair, committed suicide.

(information taken from the Online Catholic Encylopedia)
Old Jun 11, '09, 9:04 am

Send a message via AIM to John Hiner
Default Re: Character of the Twelve Apostles

Laudetur Iesus Christus.

Would you please provide a direct link to the source of these statements. The characterization of St. Peter seems grossly at odds with a fair estimate based on the Scriptures. This makes me doubt the judgment behind the other statements as well.

I believe that the caricature of St. Peter should be rejected. It demeans both the modern judgment of character and one's understanding of the subtle issues treated in the Scriptures. It also tends to diminish the respect due to the office of the Pontiff.

Pax Christi nobiscum.

John Hiner
Old Jun 12, '09, 11:59 pm
Banned

Religion: muslim

As far as we know, james was the real brother of Jesus. Jesus had sisters too. It is all mentioned in the bible. It is no use taking the word "brother" in the wider sense. The word "son" is also being taken in a special sense. Why is that? Why the word "Son" is not being taken in the real sense? It appears there is no sense except the desire of the church.

The purpose is just to avoid few problems. The church wants the world to take special meanings of everything according to their wishes to their own advantage. While at the same time the Catholics try to take bad meanings of things in other's faiths.

About Peter also, I am unhappy that person is not mentioned very well in bible. Is he not the same person in whose name the church was built and he was called the Rock.

I am a Muslim. The Quran does not depict the apostles in any bad way as they are done in the bibleNT. The Quran describes the disciples of Jesus as men of high Calibre, staunch supporters of Jesus.

Last edited by planten; Jun 13, '09 at 12:07 am. Reason: add
Old Jun 13, '09, 5:55 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

the Catholic Encyclopedia is linked in the Catholic answers bar just above, and this is the link to the article on "Apostles"
http://oce.catholic.com/index.php?title=Apostles
it contains none of the information purported by OP
a search on the term "character" also reveals no such citations

OP should provide a link for the unsubstantiated and in some cases wrong information. Bartholomew's proper name is Nathaniel, the former is his patronymic
Old Jun 13, '09, 4:38 pm

I used the individual articles on the Apostles, for example, the article on Peter the Apostle.

I used the OCE over at www.newadvent.org

Sorry about the confusion, everyone.
Old Jun 13, '09, 5:55 pm
Banned

Religion: Orthodox

James the Less: Second cousin of Jesus. Brother of Jude. Pious Jew, studied in the Scriptures, rigorous observer of the Law. He was shorter ("less") than James the Greater.

_____

St. James of Jerusalem was actually the step-brother of Jesus. St. Joseph and his deceased wife (whose name escapes me) were his parents.
Old Jun 13, '09, 5:56 pm
Banned

Religion: Orthodox

I am a Muslim. The Quran does not depict the apostles in any bad way as they are done in the bibleNT. The Quran describes the disciples of Jesus as men of high Calibre, staunch supporters of Jesus.

_______

But the true Woird of God--the Bible--shows people as they, warts and all.

Unlike the Coran which tries to whitewash things.
Old Jun 13, '09, 9:05 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eucharisted View Post
I used the individual articles on the Apostles, for example, the article on Peter the Apostle.

I used the OCE over at www.newadvent.org

Sorry about the confusion, everyone.
I checked that site earlier and do not find your citation, I checked articles on a few of the individual apostles also did not find your info, can you help with specific links? I found a few of the phrases you use, but reading the entire article makes the bit of info you provided incomplete and inaccurate in the cases I checked.

Is there a particular reason for your choice of forum? Is there an apologetics issue about the apostles you wish to raise that is of interest to non-Catholics?
Old Jun 13, '09, 10:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzleannie View Post
I checked that site earlier and do not find your citation, I checked articles on a few of the individual apostles also did not find your info, can you help with specific links? I found a few of the phrases you use, but reading the entire article makes the bit of info you provided incomplete and inaccurate in the cases I checked.

Is there a particular reason for your choice of forum? Is there an apologetics issue about the apostles you wish to raise that is of interest to non-Catholics?
For Philip:

Quote:
These three episodes furnish a consistent character-sketch of Philip as a na´ve, somewhat shy, sober-minded man

Source: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/11799a.htm
I wanted to post this for any Christians interesting to getting to know the Apostles better.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions