Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 16, '09, 8:15 am

Religion: Catholic
Default russian Orthodox and the Latin rite

Hi, I have a question. I am the director of the RCIA Process and I have a person who wishes to practice her faith in the Latin rite. Can she and what does she have to do? She has been previously married (outside of the church) , does she need a declaration of nullity?
Thanks
Old Jun 16, '09, 8:24 am

Default Re: russian Orthodox and the Latin rite

I would think she'd need a declaration of nullity (the same as anyone else going through RCIA who was previously married and who is seeking to come into full communion with the Catholic Church).

I do know for sure, however, that (as a member of the Orthodox Church) she would not be re-baptized or re-confirmed when she does finally come into full communion -- because the Orthodox have valid clergy and valid sacraments.
Old Jun 16, '09, 8:40 am

Religion: Catholic Revert (20 years evangelical)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich View Post
I would think she'd need a declaration of nullity (the same as anyone else going through RCIA who was previously married and who is seeking to come into full communion with the Catholic Church).
Please forgive me, this is the first I've heard of this. I don't think it's true that one needs a declaration of nullity in order to be in full communion with the Catholic Church. Unless, they have been civilly divorced and remarried.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Jun 16, '09, 11:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceandglory View Post
Unless, they have been civilly divorced and remarried.
That's the assumption I was making, based on the OP's "She has been previously married (outside of the church)"

From the web site of the Diocese of Harrisburg (it's not my diocese, it just happens to be the first link that comes up after googling [RCIA +prior marriage])

Quote:
Please remember that a divorce alone would not affect, or hinder in any way, your entrance into the Catholic Church. However, if you are divorced and remarried a question does arise. We presume and respect all marriages, even one which ended in a civil divorce. Every prior marriage must be examined, since each is presumed to be a lasting, lifelong commitment. Until it is shown otherwise, you would not be free to enter into another marriage without the appearance or occasion of serious sin. If you are divorced and remarried, the sacraments of initiation which you desire to receive may need to be delayed until a Tribunal has examined your prior marriage(s) and issued a decision.
Old Jun 16, '09, 2:35 pm

Religion: Catholic

While this would ordinarily go in the Evangelization forum because it is discussing RCIA, I will allow it to remain in the Eastern Catholicism forum because it is an area of interest for many Eastern Catholics who will be able to answer the question most effectively.

It will eventually be moved to the Evangelization forum.

May God Bless You Abundantly,
Catherine Grant
Eastern Catholicism Moderator
Old Jun 16, '09, 6:27 pm

Religion: Syro-Malankara Catholic

As the director of RCIA you have the opportunity to tell her how much she can bless the Russian Catholic Church with her experience and graces - she can practice in any Rite that she wishes, but it would be sad to see her give up her heritage and for the Russian Catholic Church - who are already small in number anyway - to lose one of their own. That being said - even if she professes her faith in a Latin Church, she would automatically be Russian Catholic unless a Russian Catholic bishop (or someone duely appointed) releases her from her sui iurus Church canonically.
Old Jun 16, '09, 6:44 pm

Religion: Byzantine Catholic - Ruthenian Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabyr8 View Post
Hi, I have a question. I am the director of the RCIA Process and I have a person who wishes to practice her faith in the Latin rite. Can she and what does she have to do? She has been previously married (outside of the church) , does she need a declaration of nullity?
Thanks
She needs to make a proffession of faith. (check the CCEO; the diocesan canon lawyer can confirm this, but you can look at it at http://www.intratext.com/IXT/ENG1199/_POW.HTM (the linked canon and the next several are those relating to reception of baptized Christians. 897 is the important one.)

Canon 897
A member of the Christian faithful of an Eastern non-Catholic Church is to be received into the Catholic Church with only the profession of the Catholic faith, after doctrinal and spiritual preparation according to each one's condition.

If she wishes to practice in the Latin Rite, fine. She's still an Eastern Christian; To switch canonical enrollment is a letter to the bishop requesting that, but that's not essential.

If she's remarried, or intends to get remarried, she'll need the declaration of nullity, or the Petrine or Pauline privilege.
Old Jun 16, '09, 6:45 pm

Religion: Byzantine Catholic - Ruthenian Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Grant View Post
While this would ordinarily go in the Evangelization forum because it is discussing RCIA, I will allow it to remain in the Eastern Catholicism forum because it is an area of interest for many Eastern Catholics who will be able to answer the question most effectively.

It will eventually be moved to the Evangelization forum.

May God Bless You Abundantly,
Catherine Grant
Eastern Catholicism Moderator
Perhaps a permanent redirect could be left; technically, the person in question will be a member of the Russian Catholic Church unless and until she opts for change of enrollment.
Old Jun 18, '09, 10:12 am

Religion: Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church

In my general experience dealing with previous marriages from Eastern Europe (not an uncommon thing in our Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church), the civil divorce decree has been adequate for most tribunals or judicial vicars in determining nullity. Often there is no church marriage anyway, or no available documentation from the parish. The judicial vicar and/or tribunal of your Latin diocese will have to be the one(s) to make the call.

If she has been initiated as Russian Orthodox (which itself needs to be ascertained, as many of the younger generation in the latter Soviet days are not even baptized), she will require nothing other than Confession and then reception of Communion.

As an RCIA Director you should also at least point her towards some informational material on the Eastern Catholic Churches as she is coming from an Eastern Church so she can at least discern her options of particular Church enrollment. There are materials specifically geared towards the RCIA program if you are interested.
Fr. Dcn. Randolph L. Brown

Господи Помилуй

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism