Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 18, '09, 9:25 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Why do we pray the rosary at Catholic funerals?

Got asked this question by an ex-cradle Catholic, now Baptist, and I did not know the specifc reason - or even if there is a specific reason - for why this is. Any/all responses will be appreciated.
Old Jun 18, '09, 9:42 am

Default Re: Why do we pray the rosary at Catholic funerals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmmgraves View Post
Got asked this question by an ex-cradle Catholic, now Baptist, and I did not know the specifc reason - or even if there is a specific reason - for why this is. Any/all responses will be appreciated.
The Rosary isn't usually prayed at funeral Masses or at the burial but at visitations of the mourners whether at the church or at a funeral parlor. The rosary is offered as a prayer for the departed that he or she may be received into the embrace of the Lord through the intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary who, as our Mother in the Faith, sees in the faithful departed an image of her Son.

"I am a daughter of the Church." St. Teresa of Jesus

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +

Magister adest et vocat te.
Old Jun 18, '09, 4:05 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic of the Latin Rite

Quote:
I don't think I've ever seen the rosary offered at a funeral mass. Perhaps it was a special additional prayer service arranged by the family? I might add, the rosary is a reflection on the life of Christ, and I can't think of a better time to reflect on the life of Christ and ask for prayers for our recently deceased than right after a funeral.
Old Jun 18, '09, 4:26 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
IF the person had a special devotion to the Blessed Virgin through the Rosary, then it makes sense. There are many different Caholic prayer devotions that could be used, the Rosary is just one of them, I might add a very powerful one however..
Old Jun 19, '09, 2:01 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278

Quote:
Originally Posted by promethius View Post
I don't think I've ever seen the rosary offered at a funeral mass. Perhaps it was a special additional prayer service arranged by the family? I might add, the rosary is a reflection on the life of Christ, and I can't think of a better time to reflect on the life of Christ and ask for prayers for our recently deceased than right after a funeral.
I agree. What better time to pray for the dead than right after a funeral?
Old Jun 19, '09, 2:54 am

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite: orthodox/conservative)

I know that Southern Baptists have a peculiar attitude about even reverencing the body or saying ANY prayers for the deceased since they are in that "total depravity" mindset where the body is nothing but rotten good for nothing corrupt flesh and unworthy of any veneration. So I suspect that the rosary is less at question here than the more general question of: "why pray at all for the deceased when 'my bible' teaches me we are not to seek to have idols nor contact the dead?".

I attended one such Baptist funeral of a friend and was stunned silly as to how indifferent they were to the corpse. I started to get teary eyed when I viewed the body and one of the family looked surprised and told me something along the lines of 'why be sad - he is in heaven and that is just his empty and filthy used shell'. They sang gospel music and then at one point the preacher had a family member come up to give a quick statement about his life followed by the preacher using it as an occasion to do an altar call saying: " 'Brother Dave' was a terrible sinner like you and I are and deserved hell like we all do. But heaven's his reward just like we will get some day if you are 'saved' and just believe in Jesus. If anyone here wants to get out of their man made religions and false doctrines and come forward and accept Jesus as their Savior you can be assured of salvation too rather than go to hell for not trusting in only Jesus".

They then went back to gospel music and in the middle of a song nonchalantly wheeled off the coffin to the hearse for delivery to burial with no one accompanying it to the grave sight. Instead they did a social afterwards and no one seemed interested in even knowing what cemetery his body was interned at when I inquired. I had wanted to say prayers over the grave-site.

So I suspect this is not so much a question about the rosary but more so a question about their belief in the futility of praying or mourning for the dead who are either in heaven or hell already. I think it comes from an exaggerated chauvinism for their contempt of the Catholic practise of praying to the saints and our reverence for the Communion of the Saints and paranoia about worshiping or conjuring the dead. They just don't bother to think about God being omniscient and being able to hear prayers spoken after death in the "now of eternity" as if spoken well before a deceased person's death like Catholics do.

James

Join the Dominican Fathers Rosary Cofraternity for extra indulgences!

Pray The Chaplet of Divine Mercy!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics