Catholic FAQ

We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 23, '09, 9:47 am

Religion: Catholic
Default FSSP Seminarians

Has anyone here spent any time in an FSSP seminary? If so, would you be willing to share your experience?

I am considering applying. Thanks.
Old Jun 23, '09, 4:55 pm
Banned

Default Re: FSSP Seminarians

Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
Has anyone here spent any time in an FSSP seminary? If so, would you be willing to share your experience?

I am considering applying. Thanks.

I was a seminarian withh FSSP for a year and a half.
Old Jul 6, '09, 12:34 pm

Unhappy Re: FSSP Seminarians

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitreal View Post
I was a seminarian withh FSSP for a year and a half.
What happened?
Old Jul 6, '09, 1:29 pm
Banned

I was part of the very first group of guys to go to Wigratzbad in 1989. At that time, it was their only seminary; the only traditional seminary within the Church. I got lonely and homesick, so I came home. The memories and the absolutely breathtaking and fervently Roman Catholic Mass and other liturgies will stay with me till I die. I was granted a momentary life- by God -into what Catholicism was like before V2. To live your life in tradition surrounds your body and spirit with the Saints before, now, and after us. My love for tradition never knew what that love was all about till I experienced the life at that Seminary.
Old Jul 6, '09, 7:25 pm

I will be attending the Vocation Retreat held each year in June 2010. From the outside looking in the Fraternity seems traditional. I am looking forward to the experience. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your experience in 1989 in Germany. Just to add, it looks as though their seminary in Nebraska is coming along well.
Old Jul 6, '09, 11:14 pm
Banned

Keep God as your center. Keep his will for you as the center of your life. Get a good spiritual advisor at the seminary ( all seminarians will choose one), and excel.

Just remember that all the seminarians at the Fraternity are solid traditionalists, dedicated to the traditional Catholic Mass, Sacraments and Doctrine.
Old Jul 7, '09, 10:36 am

Quote:
I was granted a momentary life- by God -into what Catholicism was like before V2.
No, you were granted a chance to participate in an older style of liturgy, with all the rubrics and traditions associated with it- and you were surrounded by people who were all very enthusiastic about it.

Before Vatican 2, there were heretics, and there were highly-respected theologians within the Church; there were devout Catholics, and there were lapsed Catholics; there were reverent liturgies, and there were irreverent ones. The same can be said about today- but since World War II (since before then, really, but we really started to see this pick up in the years following WWII), there has been a cultural shift towards a more progressive, more anti-establishment way of thinking.

In the 1930's, women wore hats in church. There was nothing exotic about it- that's just what women did- they'd wear a hat to the park as routinely as they would to church. By the time the 50's and 60's came around, it wasn't as popular for women to wear hats- but they still did it in church because that was what they were supposed to do- they didn't question it, and the idea of wearing hats to dress up didn't seem unusual to them. This is just one of many examples of traditions of the past that have fallen out of practice.

A nation that kills its own children is a nation without a future.- Pope John Paul II.
Old Jul 7, '09, 10:54 am

Quote:
I was part of the very first group of guys to go to Wigratzbad in 1989. At that time, it was their only seminary; the only traditional seminary within the Church. I got lonely and homesick, so I came home. The memories and the absolutely breathtaking and fervently Roman Catholic Mass and other liturgies will stay with me till I die. I was granted a momentary life- by God -into what Catholicism was like before V2. To live your life in tradition surrounds your body and spirit with the Saints before, now, and after us. My love for tradition never knew what that love was all about till I experienced the life at that Seminary.

Any regrets? I thought about joining the Maryknolls when I was very young. But, I thought as you, it would be a lonely life. To this day I can see myself as a priest. Many regrets. But, at 54, there can be no looking back. I tell my family-I believe in Reincarnation- that in my next life I will come back as a priest. Even if I had been ordained as a Maryknoll, I know for certain that once the FSSP was formed, I would have asked permission to transfer over.
Old Jul 7, '09, 12:14 pm
Prayer Warrior

The Denton, NE seminary is right outside of my hometown here in Nebraska. We are MOST fortunate to have the seminarians take part in different liturgies at our Latin Mass Community oratory. Many have said their first Mass at the oratory after ordination. They participate in Vespers, Tenebrae, and many other services. While I have never been in the seminary itself, they are building a new chapel, and the priests from the FSSP are most devout. It is inspiring to attend their Masses.

Here is a link for you to peruse...http://fssp.org/en/photos.htm

Tiber Swim Team...Class Of '63
Old Jul 7, '09, 1:32 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboytogo View Post
Any regrets? I thought about joining the Maryknolls when I was very young. But, I thought as you, it would be a lonely life. To this day I can see myself as a priest. Many regrets. But, at 54, there can be no looking back. I tell my family-I believe in Reincarnation- that in my next life I will come back as a priest. Even if I had been ordained as a Maryknoll, I know for certain that once the FSSP was formed, I would have asked permission to transfer over.

Sometimes we forget that one of our "duties" at the seminary is to discern God's calling.
Does He want you to be a priest or lay person? I think the "lonliness" part of my experience there at that time was how the Lord communicated to me that I was meant to be a lay person. Though every day I imagine myself saying the Traditional Mass, I have no regrets. How could you? Could you imagine waking up every day to Prime, then a High mass with Gregorian Chant, then going to Sext later? I met the Holy Father there-when he was a cardinal- and heard him say a beautiful Traditional Pontifical Mass. I even chatted with him for a while. He asked me where I was from, and I said "Southern California, USA", and he said "ah good", in his German accent. "From America", "Good".
All the guys--most of whom were straight out of SSPX- just stood there and were gawking
at him, not knowing what to say, then Fr. Bisig led him to the dining area, where he gave a talk in Latin. Anyway, I often thing later on in my old age I may try it again--let''s see what God wants.
Old Jul 7, '09, 2:34 pm
Banned

I cannot find this thread. Someone deleted it. I found it this time only through my Yahoo e-mail. What happened?
Old Jul 7, '09, 2:42 pm

Do you mean this one- http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=349821 ?

BTW,FSSP is great. Can anybody explain why FSSP priests give Ignatian spiritual exercises as FSSP are nor a religious order neither inspired by Ignatian spirituality (as far as I know). If I am wrong,I am sorry.
Old Jul 7, '09, 2:53 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sklenko View Post
Do you mean this one- http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=349821 ?

BTW,FSSP is great. Can anybody explain why FSSP priests give Ignatian spiritual exercises as FSSP are nor a religious order neither inspired by Ignatian spirituality (as far as I know). If I am wrong,I am sorry.
did you say "give" or "don't give"?
Old Jul 7, '09, 7:42 pm
Banned

FSSP Seminarians is no longer a thread. I don't know why it was deleted, but it was.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations