Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 23, '09, 1:58 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default FSSP Seminarians

Has anyone here spent (or know someone who has) any time in an FSSP seminary? If so, would you be willing to share your experience?

I am considering applying. Thanks.
Old Jun 23, '09, 7:52 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: FSSP Seminarians

A friend from college is at Our Lady of Guadalupe seminary in Nebraska, one of 2 international seminaries for the FSSP. As a new seminarian myself, I'll simply say that he's the kind of seminarian I want to be.

FSSP expects a lot from their seminarians and priests. I guess that's why they produce such outstanding men for the Church.
Old Jun 23, '09, 11:02 pm

Religion: Eastern Orthodox
Send a message via AIM to Madaglan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCatholic View Post
A friend from college is at Our Lady of Guadalupe seminary in Nebraska, one of 2 international seminaries for the FSSP. As a new seminarian myself, I'll simply say that he's the kind of seminarian I want to be.

FSSP expects a lot from their seminarians and priests. I guess that's why they produce such outstanding men for the Church.
What are some of the above and beyond expectations of the FSSP? I'm just wondering.
Old Jun 25, '09, 4:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCatholic View Post

My son knows your friend then. My youngest just completed his first year at OLGS in Denton! My other son was just accepted and should begin this fall. (That explains the FSSP seal in my sig!)

As far as your question refugio, I can only tell you that my son recently made the coment to me that the past 10 months have been the most fulfilling of his life. He is very happy and, God willing, looking forward to the next 6 years.
Old Jun 25, '09, 5:37 pm
Prayer Warrior

I don't really know much about FSSP Seminarians, i've checked out the website and it is kind of cloudy to me. Why would someone want to be a FSSP seminarian as suppose to any other type of seminarian (diocesan, religious order)? My other question is once ordained where do FSSP priests serve? I'm looking into seminaries and want to make the best decision in where God truly wants me to go.

God Bless
Old Jun 25, '09, 6:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hxcCatholic413 View Post
I don't really know much about FSSP Seminarians, i've checked out the website and it is kind of cloudy to me. Why would someone want to be a FSSP seminarian as suppose to any other type of seminarian (diocesan, religious order)? My other question is once ordained where do FSSP priests serve? I'm looking into seminaries and want to make the best decision in where God truly wants me to go.

God Bless
This is from the FSSP site:

Quote:
The Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter is a Clerical Society of Apostolic Life of Pontifical right, that is, a community of Roman Catholic priests who do not take religious vows, but who work together for a common mission in the world. The mission of the Fraternity is two-fold: first, the formation and sanctification of priests in the cadre of the traditional liturgy of the Roman rite, and secondly, the pastoral deployment of the priests in the service of the Church.
As you can see, they are instructed in the Traditional Latin rite and, as such, once ordained, say Mass in the Traditional Latin rite.

They are assigned to the growing number of FSSP parishes established throughout the world.

On the other hand, diocesan priests are delegated to a particular diocese.
Old Jun 25, '09, 6:49 pm
Prayer Warrior

Thank you for clarifying that Tedster
Old Jun 26, '09, 9:19 pm
Observing Member

One thing to consider is what you want to accomplish as a priestly servant of God. Also the spirituality that distinguishes the FSSP as distinct from another religious order or diocesan priests. Since Pope Benedict's motu proprio, Summorum Pontificum, whereby any priest can celebrate the sacraments according to the rites of 1962, it's not totally clear what distinguishes an FSSP priest from any other priest.
Old Jun 28, '09, 6:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedster View Post
As far as your question refugio, I can only tell you that my son recently made the coment to me that the past 10 months have been the most fulfilling of his life. He is very happy and, God willing, looking forward to the next 6 years.
Thanks Tedster. That's great to hear. I recently spoke with another former seminarian who spent 2 years in OLGS, for whom God had other plans (matrimony), but he told me he does not regret a single moment of his experience in the seminary.

I've emailed OLGS and the assistant vocations director got back with me the same day. He gave me the number to call the vocations director, which I will do on Monday evening.

That’s two cases of positive feedback which I have received. Thanks again.
Old Jun 28, '09, 6:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman12 View Post
One thing to consider is what you want to accomplish as a priestly servant of God. Also the spirituality that distinguishes the FSSP as distinct from another religious order or diocesan priests. Since Pope Benedict's motu proprio, Summorum Pontificum, whereby any priest can celebrate the sacraments according to the rites of 1962, it's not totally clear what distinguishes an FSSP priest from any other priest.
The fact that priests have the legal right to offer the EF as granted by the Supreme Pontiff through Summorum Pontificum is very well true. But it is sad two say that the bishops of my city and of our sister city have not allowed the EF outside the Masses of the FSSP (despite the fact that we have diocese priests competent in the EF). Even though the Pope has granted permission to all priests, the sad fact remains that many bishops are not only not encouraging the EF, but are outright forbidding it, in contravention to Summorum Pontificum.
Old Jul 3, '09, 3:36 pm

Can somebody say what are the possible signs of a vocation for traditionalist community (including FSSP) ? Is it enough if you love traditional Liturgy?
Old Jul 3, '09, 7:09 pm

Send a message via AIM to em3boone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman12 View Post
For most Diocesan priests celebrating the Latin Mass solely or a majority of the time is not actually going to be able to happen, and that is if your Bishop actually cooperates with it in the first place.
Old Jul 5, '09, 6:12 am
Book Club Member

Seminaries vary in quality..

What a horror it would be to have a vocation and be sent to a problematic seminary and be mistaught! Battling bad professors is bad enough in a regular school.

I have always thought that -if- a person were called he would want to go a place where he would have a great deal of assurance in the quality of the teaching rather than worrying about battling it out, and that even if there possibly were (which I do not say that there are any) too conservative perspectives taught -- being too reserved is often only an imperfection, one can adjust for that --- going too far however, which is the more normal error of these times is more often heresy and sin.

If you like the sermons in the links below (FSSP) and want to be educated -well- in seminary, rather than being concerned about the quality and knowledge of tradition you will obtain depending on your diocese..

If you love the traditional mass.. .

You might well want to go FSSP.

I hear there's a waiting list. . .

Alternatives? Perhaps the Institute of Christ the King, though I do not know much about it.
Old Oct 5, '13, 4:20 pm

Religion: Traditional Roman Catholic with Jesuit & Byzantine influence

The thing I like about the FSSP is how they are trained to bring the Latin Mass to the faithful.
Old Oct 6, '13, 3:46 pm

Who do members of groups like the FSSP make their promises to? Obviously it isn't a single diocese, so do each of these societies have their own Ordinary that ordains them and they owe their loyalty to?

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations