Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jul 1, '09, 4:16 pm

Religion: CATHLOIC
Default Jesus said, "He who hears you hears me, and he who rejects you rejects me, and he who rejects me rejects him who sent me."

In Luke 10:16, That verse is a verse of authority and it is a verse of infallibility as well. It is a verse also of obedience for those who were sent. Now there are well over 38,000 non-Catholic sects, each with at least one preacher and all of them are preaching something different from one another. So, given the fact that there can be only one truth and with obedience to only one authority, which one of those tens of thousands is the model of obedience and has the authority and infallibility given to him or her by Jesus Christ?
Which one of the tens of thousands of them could lay claim to Luke 10:16?
"...and he who rejects you rejects me, and he who rejects me rejects him who sent me." What else could this part of Luke 10:16 mean other than to be applied to those who reject the teaching of His "Apostolos" and their successors through the one Church which He founded?
Old Jul 1, '09, 6:22 pm
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)
Default Re: Jesus said, "He who hears you hears me, and he who rejects you rejects me, and he who rejects me rejects him who sent me."

You are clearly begging the question.
Old Jul 1, '09, 6:24 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Jesus said, "He who hears you hears me, and he who rejects you rejects me, and he who rejects me rejects him who sent me."

Bill...you quoted and focused beautifully on one of my favorite scripture verses. It is the one that a priest-chaplain used...rather bluntly...to get me to see how much my Catholicism was filled with the pride of "self authority"...."self' magisterium".

For those who don't get it (Lk 10:16)...and I personally believe that sadly, we have way too many Catholics in the One True Church that don't believe (ignore/wish away) Lk 10:16...as we do in the 38K non-Catholic sects....they are using the same paddles to row their spiritual boats.

It simply proves two things to me:
-first, we really do have free will ...just like our elder brothers of the Old Testament Jewish covenant...we too can ignore the Truth and like the poet Gray says...standby to pay the price:
Alas! regardless of their doom, the little victims play! No sense have they of ills to come nor care beyond today.
~ Thomas Gray ~

-second, there really is (hopefully for some) an Eighth Sacrament....Ignorance -- the will to disbelieve. Or as former Reagan era Ambassador to the UN, Jeane Kirkpatrick once said...

"The will to disbelieve the horrible is, I believe, a defining characteristic of the contemporary West, of no society more than our own.
Jeane J. Kirkpatrick, "The Will to Disbelieve" (Hoover Institute, 1984)

Lastly, even if I could say with absolute certainty...I believe Lk 10:16...I still have my own failures...maybe not to disbelieve...but surely to not follow what I believe with 100% of heart., mind and soul...and with all my strength. So, as I pray for others...I pray that someone is praying for my poor soul. Amen!

Pax Christi
Old Jul 1, '09, 6:35 pm

Religion: soon to be Catholic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pick View Post
Which one of the tens of thousands of them could lay claim to Luke 10:16?
"...and he who rejects you rejects me, and he who rejects me rejects him who sent me." What else could this part of Luke 10:16 mean other than to be applied to those who reject the teaching of His "Apostolos" and their successors through the one Church which He founded?
In or around Luke 10:16 does Jesus mention anything about the "successors" of the apostles? Also, is there anything in the verse that logically leads you to believe this verse is somehow related to the supposed infallibility of your church?
Old Jul 1, '09, 7:06 pm

It is just the true,So what does this verse tell us as to where the final authority is to be found? What is the name of that Church, since it is still with us? To what Church would you go in order to obey the command of Jesus Christ in those verses if you lived in 110, or 450, or 1025, or 1490? Can you name it?
Old Jul 1, '09, 7:14 pm

Quote:
It is just the true,So what does this verse tell us as to where the final authority is to be found? What is the name of that Church, since it is still with us? To what Church would you go in order to obey the command of Jesus Christ in those verses if you lived in 110, or 450, or 1025, or 1490? Can you name it?
You can't answer my questions?
Old Jul 1, '09, 7:28 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperReformada View Post
In or around Luke 10:16 does Jesus mention anything about the "successors" of the apostles? ?
Are you implying that Christ's message was only intended to apply to his first 12 ?

Didn't Christ teach that Peter was to head up his Church, and that Peter and the other 11 had the power to guide the Church til he returned ? Does this not clearly point up the fact that they had the authority to appoint successors ... and their appointees would likewise have the authority role, until they too conveyed it on to their successors ?

Can you see/say Papal succession ?
Old Jul 1, '09, 7:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRB1 View Post
Are you implying that Christ's message was only intended to apply to his first 12 ?

Didn't Christ teach that Peter was to head up his Church, and that Peter and the other 11 had the power to guide the Church til he returned ? Does this not clearly point up the fact that they had the authority to appoint successors ... and their appointees would likewise have the authority role, until they too conveyed it on to their successors ?

Can you see/say Papal succession ?
Can't say/see papal succession.
Old Jul 1, '09, 7:39 pm

Quote:
You can't answer my questions?
Well I think you have your answer,but that was right after the death of Judas, Do you need me to look up the verse or will you please look it up.
Old Jul 1, '09, 7:45 pm

Quote:
Well I think you have your answer,but that was right after the death of Judas, Do you need me to look up the verse or will you please look it up.
Don't worry about it Bill. You quoted scripture in your first post and don't seem all that interested in defending or discussing your choice of scripture so I will excuse myself from the thread.
Old Jul 1, '09, 7:50 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
You probably meant this...

(RSV) Acts 1: 20 For it is written in the book of Psalms, `Let his habitation become desolate, and let there be no one to live in it'; and `His office let another take.' 21 So one of the men who have accompanied us during all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us, 22 beginning from the baptism of John until the day when he was taken up from us -- one of these men must become with us a witness to his resurrection." 23 And they put forward two, Joseph called Barsabbas, who was surnamed Justus, and Matthias. 24 And they prayed and said, "Lord, who knowest the hearts of all men, show which one of these two thou hast chosen 25 to take the place in this ministry and apostleship from which Judas turned aside, to go to his own place." 26 And they cast lots for them, and the lot fell on Matthias; and he was enrolled with the eleven apostles.

(Emphases mine).
Old Jul 1, '09, 7:55 pm

Quote:
Don't worry about it Bill. You quoted scripture in your first post and don't seem all that interested in defending or discussing your choice of scripture so I will excuse myself from the thread.
Acts 5:13 - the people acknowledged the apostles' special authority and did not dare take it upon themselves.

Acts 15:6,24; 16:4 - the teaching authority is granted to the apostles and their successors. This teaching authority must be traced to the original apostles, or the authority is not sanctioned by Christ.

Rom. 15:16 – Paul says he is a minister of Christ Jesus to the Gentiles in the priestly service of the gospel of God, so that the offering of the Gentiles may be acceptable. This refers to the ministerial priesthood of the ordained which is distinguishable from the universal priesthood of the laity. Notice the Gentiles are the “sacrifice” and Paul does the “offering.”

1 Cor. 5:3-5; 16:22; 1 Tim. 1:20; Gal 1:8; Matt 18:17 – these verses show the authority of the elders to excommunicate / anathemize ("deliver to satan").

2 Cor. 2:17 - Paul says the elders are not just random peddlers of God's word. They are actually commissioned by God. It is not self-appointed authority.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions