Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 1, '09, 9:55 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Needing good Catholic books on puberty

I have a 13yo son, 11yo daughter & 9yo son. Can anyone suggest wholesome Catholic books on puberty? I tried secular bookstores but the books I came across promote homosexuality and masturbation as normal.

I would appreciate any help on this. God bless.
Old Jul 1, '09, 10:50 pm

Send a message via AIM to Ed Montgomery Send a message via MSN to Ed Montgomery
Default Re: Needing good Catholic books on puberty

Hello there; the two books I would reccomend would be:
The Care and Keeping of You (http://www.amazon.com/Care-Keeping-Y.../dp/1562476661) for girls
and
Raising Teenagers Right(http://www.bookschristian.com/se/pro...Paperback.html) for either gender.

I would HIGHLY recommend you DON'T use a book. Talk to them. I'm sure a lot of people will give you advice on how to talk to your children. I'm 15; and I'm glad my parents "manned up" and told me. I think they told me around age 10? 11? You can also put in your own family values when you give the talk. I hope this helped.

God Bless
Ed
Old Jul 2, '09, 7:18 am
Banned

Religion: Catholic Jellybean...yum yum

For your daughter get the American Girl series of growing up. I think one is called "My body"

They go over all the questions/myths and other things that a young girl faces. Their books are EXCELLENT and your teen can read them when she feels like it and is curious. American girl (the company) has gone down the tubes but their publishing house still remains one that can be trusted.

Talking should always be first but can only go so far, especially for girls. Explain what happens, be open to any questions, and then give them good resources (books or computer) that they can go to when they're afraid to ask.
Old Jul 2, '09, 8:17 am
Veteran Member
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic - Convert RCIA class of 1998

American Girl may be good for secular people, it is not Catholic and they have had past associations with Planned Parenthood

For your Catholic kids, check out www.sexrespect.com
Old Jul 2, '09, 8:27 am
Banned

Quote:
American Girl may be good for secular people, it is not Catholic and they have had past associations with Planned Parenthood

They did in the past, however, the publishing house didn't have anything to do with that.

The books are clean, colorful and do not have anything that goes against catholocism. For introducing the change its an excellent resource. Its not, say, for a 15yo who should be learning more about the theological aspects but its excellent for an 11yo.
Old Jul 2, '09, 9:41 am

There is the Theology of His/Her body http://www.amazon.com/Theology-His-B...6552752&sr=8-1

This is written by Jason Evert...a well known chastity speaker. These issues will probably come up with puberty...

"Let me get through today, and I will not fear tomorrow." -- St. Philip Neri
Old Jul 2, '09, 10:40 am

Religion: RC

CHARITY SEX AND THE YOUNG MAN
Fr. Herbert Ratner

Roman Catholic Books brought it back into print.
Old Jul 3, '09, 12:19 am

Wow, thanks so much for the suggestions. This is my first thread and I didn't realize a lot of people would respond.
I used to get my daughter copies of the American Girl mag and few books. I stopped though, when I learned about its association with a feminist group which I don't remember anymore.....I appreciate the advice on having talks. I will do more of those.

Thanks again, everybody, and please pray for our family as we strive to live our Catholic faith. God bless.
Old Jul 3, '09, 4:02 am
Banned

I had looked at many(bought a few) for my 10 year old daughter.

I agree with purplesunshine. We have an American Girl book "The Care & Keeping of You - The Body Book for Girls". It is very well done. It is not a birds & bees book. It about basic body issues and cleanliness. Skin care, eating right, etc. It talks about breast development, pubic hair and getting a period.
Old Jul 3, '09, 11:57 am

There is also Beyond the Birds and the Bees by Gregory Popcak.

Old Jul 7, '09, 1:45 pm

"The Joyful Mysteries of Life". You'll have to google it to find it and order it since it's not readily available. It weaves teaching about puberty, chastity, etc. in with the mysteries of the rosary. It's a great book. The language is a little dated but that's about the only complaint I have.
Old Jul 7, '09, 3:04 pm

Why do you need a book? Just talk to your child. You know about puberty... you went through it and so did her father. You don't need a book, just do your job as a parent and talk to your child.
Old Jul 7, '09, 4:11 pm
Banned

all due respect, salty, kids don't want to ask their parents stuff or are afraid to and having a good book that isn't going to lead them into sin or an immoral lifestyle hanging around is acting with prudence.
Old Jul 7, '09, 6:57 pm

My oldest, a daughter who is 11, has had no problem with me sitting her down and talking about it. It wasn't the most comfortable discussion, but we both got through it. And she knows she can approach me when she needs something. Like yesterday, when she told me she is outgrowing her current crop of beginner bras.

I would much rather have her come to me than turn to a book. A book doesn't love her, cherish her, or have any investment in her future. A book can't answer questions that have any depth or nuance. I can. I am her mother, and this is my job!

You are making gross assumptions to say that no child ever wants to ask their parents about stuff. I think if the parents present the right atmosphere, that the child will be OK with talking to their parents even if it's not their favorite thing to do. I think parents use "kids don't want to talk to parents" as an excuse for their own discomfort and avoidance.
Old Jul 7, '09, 7:51 pm

I don't see why there can't be a balance between sitting down and talking with your kids and giving them a book to read. Some kids/parents will be better served with a face to face, where others may do better reading a book, then discussing it or vice versa.

I think it can also be helpful for kids to read something so they know their parents' views are shared by others, especially considering what they are bombarded with by the culture, the media and their friends.

I, for one, need a book for me to read, to have the best answers for my kids' questions. The talk my mom had with me was woefully inadequate in regard to Catholic teaching on chastity, and I want to do better when the time comes with my kids.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life