Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Jul 10, '09, 3:16 am
Th0t Th0t is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: December 15, 2008
Posts: 185
Religion: Proud Catholic
Unhappy Why Are Some Protestants So Angry?

Now I know it might seem a little bit of wasted thread space but it's something I want to get off my chest.

Everywhere I have read on the internet where the Catholic Church is under discussion and about religion, Protestants always seem to respond in a very angry manner of how the Church and religion is the devil and against God and etc. etc. etc. we all know the story...

For example: There was a story of a convert and people were posting comments about "how much are they paying u an hour to say your a Catholic?"

How sad!
__________________
"We are like little mirrors in which God contemplates Himself.
How can you expect that God should recognize
His likeness in an impure soul?" ~ St. John Vianney


Pray For Me; I Am Discerning The Priesthood.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Jul 10, '09, 3:32 am
JustaServant's Avatar
JustaServant JustaServant is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: April 27, 2007
Posts: 6,545
Religion: Catholic (revert)
Default Re: Why Are Some Protestants So Angry?

Dispite being called the 'worldwide web', internet forums are a much smaller world then people realize. Many times the people you are encountering online are the fanatics. They do not represent mainstream Protestantism. Traffic on some forums can also be manipulated by the owners, as well as the usernames. There is a particular forum I will not name that is made up of mainly 'sock puppets' of the owner, his family and friends. So it appears you are talking to two or four people, but you are actually only talking to one person.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Jul 10, '09, 4:03 am
GramdpaMunster GramdpaMunster is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: June 29, 2009
Posts: 89
Default Re: Why Are Some Protestants So Angry?

The internet allows people to communicate ananymously, and that brings out the worst in some people. Which includes saying things they wouldnt say in public because they know it's not true and would make them look foolish.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Jul 10, '09, 4:33 am
JustaServant's Avatar
JustaServant JustaServant is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: April 27, 2007
Posts: 6,545
Religion: Catholic (revert)
Default Re: Why Are Some Protestants So Angry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GramdpaMunster View Post
The internet allows people to communicate ananymously, and that brings out the worst in some people. Which includes saying things they wouldnt say in public because they know it's not true and would make them look foolish.
I can see a time when communicating anonymously online will come to an end. European countries have already done that. We are right now in the 'golden age' of the internet. Enjoy it while it lasts.
Ya big jerk!

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Jul 10, '09, 5:31 am
bibagirl bibagirl is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: July 7, 2009
Posts: 109
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Why Are Some Protestants So Angry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th0t View Post
Now I know it might seem a little bit of wasted thread space but it's something I want to get off my chest.

Everywhere I have read on the internet where the Catholic Church is under discussion and about religion, Protestants always seem to respond in a very angry manner of how the Church and religion is the devil and against God and etc. etc. etc. we all know the story...

For example: There was a story of a convert and people were posting comments about "how much are they paying u an hour to say your a Catholic?"

How sad!
Unfortunately no religion has a monopoly on angry fanatic views - even in these forums Iīve seem extremist angry catholic views. Everybody knows about Muslim fanatacism that is only a tiny minority of Muslims are like that yet they all get tarred with the same brush. there are angry Jews too (eg. Gaza strip). I havenīt heard anything about angry Hindus or Buddists, but maybe my knowledge is limited as I live in Europe and not Asia.

Iīm of the view that extremist views of any type (including Catholic!!) are bad, because people lose touch with reality and justify drastic actions. I saw in some forum extremist Catholic pro-lifers justifying the murder or abortionists!! Jesus Christ would be horrified!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Jul 10, '09, 5:58 am
colliric colliric is offline
Regular Member
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: January 2, 2007
Posts: 1,760
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Why Are Some Protestants So Angry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GramdpaMunster View Post
The internet allows people to communicate ananymously, and that brings out the worst in some people. Which includes saying things they wouldnt say in public because they know it's not true and would make them look foolish.
That's true, however sometimes the converse is also true. It can also help people express good opinions sometimes.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Jul 10, '09, 10:34 am
Jolly Joe Jolly Joe is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: January 5, 2008
Posts: 429
Religion: Lutheran
Default Re: Why Are Some Protestants So Angry?

I think to some people all of life is simply a football game with the sole object being to "win". If they can say something and intimidate or cause the other to withdraw, they consider that a win.

People even do the same in their own families. A disagreement is not something where they work through it and discuss it and try to reach a solutiion, no, they approach it like the sole purpose is to "win". They hurl insults, they drag up old conflicts, it the other has ever had one moment of weakness or made a mistake they drag that up and throw it in their face.

And so they leave a wake of hurt in their path.

You can easily see it in man/woman relationships. People who have decided the opposite sex is the enemy and simply there to be hated and abused and used.

And the whole thing doesn't stop with people who are members of some Christian group. I think they think of those in other groups in terms of a stereotype they've created in their own mind and don't really deal with individuals as an individual human being. They use tired old argument techniques that are logically flawed and they take it upon themselves to attack wherever and whenever they can. For some reason, I think many of them think of themselves as some sort of hero.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Jul 10, '09, 10:39 am
VociMike VociMike is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 24, 2004
Posts: 8,730
Religion: Catholic (revert)
Default Re: Why Are Some Protestants So Angry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaServant View Post
I can see a time when communicating anonymously online will come to an end. European countries have already done that. We are right now in the 'golden age' of the internet. Enjoy it while it lasts.
Ya big jerk!

Nazi!

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law)
__________________
"The Catholic Church is the only thing which saves a man from the degrading slavery of being a child of his age."

G.K. Chesterton
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Jul 10, '09, 10:44 am
VociMike VociMike is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 24, 2004
Posts: 8,730
Religion: Catholic (revert)
Default Re: Why Are Some Protestants So Angry?

John Henry Newman wrote an interesting essay that claimed that Protestantism needs to lie about Catholicism to continue to exist. I think there is a similar need for anger against Catholicism.
__________________
"The Catholic Church is the only thing which saves a man from the degrading slavery of being a child of his age."

G.K. Chesterton
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Jul 10, '09, 11:11 am
Debra C Debra C is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: March 13, 2007
Posts: 430
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Why Are Some Protestants So Angry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th0t View Post
Now I know it might seem a little bit of wasted thread space but it's something I want to get off my chest.

Everywhere I have read on the internet where the Catholic Church is under discussion and about religion, Protestants always seem to respond in a very angry manner of how the Church and religion is the devil and against God and etc. etc. etc. we all know the story...

For example: There was a story of a convert and people were posting comments about "how much are they paying u an hour to say your a Catholic?"

How sad!
Somone else may have already offered these two possible answers, but here's my best shot.

plssibility number 1: they have been taught incorrectly about just what Catholics believe, either maliciously or out of ignorance, and see us as idol worshippers that sell forgiveness in advance for the right donation among other things.

possibility number 2: They resent the difficulty of keeping the tenets of the faith, particularly precepts and/or obligations they find difficult to accept or understand and the authority of the pope. They don't wish to have to change their lifestyle to be Christian, and find it arrogant that the Church would expect such. Some examples of such difficult precepts might include the prohibition on contraception, the absolute pro life stance, the lack of ordination of women (all of which are interpreted by the world as keeping women in servitude), the Church's refusal to bend on homosexuality and other subjects that the world at large sees as hateful or discriminatory, and perhaps most importantly, the sacrament of Confession and the Real Presence.

I think the anger comes largely from the fact that the natural law is written on the hearts of men, and so, deep down inside we all really do know better. But admitting it means giving up all those worldly and selfish pleasures we become so attached to and accepting God's will rather than insisting on our own.

I myself was once angry about the seeming many hardships my family has had to struggle with that other people don't seem to have to. Now I can see that He has used these things to draw us to Him in a very special way and strengthen us.
__________________


Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, have mercy on us.
Holy Mother Mary, pray for us.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Jul 10, '09, 11:20 am
Debra C Debra C is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: March 13, 2007
Posts: 430
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Why Are Some Protestants So Angry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibagirl View Post
Unfortunately no religion has a monopoly on angry fanatic views - even in these forums Iīve seem extremist angry catholic views. Everybody knows about Muslim fanatacism that is only a tiny minority of Muslims are like that yet they all get tarred with the same brush. there are angry Jews too (eg. Gaza strip). I havenīt heard anything about angry Hindus or Buddists, but maybe my knowledge is limited as I live in Europe and not Asia.

Iīm of the view that extremist views of any type (including Catholic!!) are bad, because people lose touch with reality and justify drastic actions. I saw in some forum extremist Catholic pro-lifers justifying the murder or abortionists!! Jesus Christ would be horrified!!
Angry Hindu extremists recently went on a 3 month rampage in one province of India, burning homes, forcing Christians to renounce their faith, etc.. a number of Catholic priests and religious and Protestant ministers were killed. Several hundred families were left homeless. Churches were damaged and burned. Very ugly stuff. I beleive it was at last controlled by military intervention. This is, of course, not typical of Hinduism, either. The squabble apparently began when a terrorist assassinated a well known guru of a particularly devout sect. Christians were blamed for the death.

One thing all should be able to learn from human history is that none of us are truly immune to falling into terrible sin and violence, regardless of race, culture, or creed. We must always remain watchful.
__________________


Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, have mercy on us.
Holy Mother Mary, pray for us.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Jul 10, '09, 11:23 am
Al Masetti Al Masetti is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: June 20, 2005
Posts: 7,808
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Why Are Some Protestants So Angry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Joe View Post
I think to some people all of life is simply a football game with the sole object being to "win". If they can say something and intimidate or cause the other to withdraw, they consider that a win.

People even do the same in their own families. A disagreement is not something where they work through it and discuss it and try to reach a solutiion, no, they approach it like the sole purpose is to "win". They hurl insults, they drag up old conflicts, it the other has ever had one moment of weakness or made a mistake they drag that up and throw it in their face.

And so they leave a wake of hurt in their path.

You can easily see it in man/woman relationships. People who have decided the opposite sex is the enemy and simply there to be hated and abused and used.

And the whole thing doesn't stop with people who are members of some Christian group. I think they think of those in other groups in terms of a stereotype they've created in their own mind and don't really deal with individuals as an individual human being. They use tired old argument techniques that are logically flawed and they take it upon themselves to attack wherever and whenever they can. For some reason, I think many of them think of themselves as some sort of hero.
One of my non-Catholic friends said he believes in the bumpersticker: When you die, whoever has the most toys wins.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Jul 10, '09, 12:09 pm
bibagirl bibagirl is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: July 7, 2009
Posts: 109
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Why Are Some Protestants So Angry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra C View Post
Angry Hindu extremists recently went on a 3 month rampage in one province of India, burning homes, forcing Christians to renounce their faith, etc.. a number of Catholic priests and religious and Protestant ministers were killed. Several hundred families were left homeless. Churches were damaged and burned. Very ugly stuff. I beleive it was at last controlled by military intervention. This is, of course, not typical of Hinduism, either. The squabble apparently began when a terrorist assassinated a well known guru of a particularly devout sect. Christians were blamed for the death.

One thing all should be able to learn from human history is that none of us are truly immune to falling into terrible sin and violence, regardless of race, culture, or creed. We must always remain watchful.
Thank you Debra, I was not aware of Hindu extremism or or what happened in India. In my post I wasd trying to get across exactly what you so well articulated in your last two sentances.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8349Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: svid2
5088CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: eschator83
4408Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3858SOLITUDE
Last by: tuscany
3675Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: DesertSister62
3268Poems and Reflections
Last by: tonyg
3244Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3218Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: memphian
3085For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: flower lady



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 1:26 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.