Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 13, '09, 3:11 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Brown Scapular - when do you not wear yours?

So, am I the only scapular wearer who removes the scapular during medical exam or medical procedure and during sex? Everyone else wears theirs during these times? Are the ladies honestly going to look me in the post, so to speak, and write that they wear their scapular when they're having a mammogram?

And during sex? Do both men and women scapular wearers can truly say they wear their scapular when having sex?

Perhaps I'm just not as devout as others in my wearing of my precious scapular. I can be lazy by not replacing it during the time it's in the washing machine, and I do admit that I should have asked the X-ray techinician beforehand if I could keep it on during a chest X-ray and mammogram. That really leaves only sex and surgery (and surgery is where I know you will not be allowed to keep your scapular on, not matter how kindly the medical personel are.)

But surely I'm not the only wearer who's had these issues arise. I really have to marvel at those folks who say they only take theirs off during showering/bathing. Are these simply celebate and extremely young and healthy Catholics wearing somewhat sweaty/dirty scapulars?
Old Jul 13, '09, 3:20 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Brown Scapular - when do you not wear yours?

I only take it off for bathing or hair washing, and when I do.. I ask my Guardian Angel to hover over me.. until I put my Scapular back on! I feel absolutely naked without my Scapular. It's like a part of me.

God bless you!
"..I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. CHOOSE LIFE, then, that you and your descendants may live.." (Deuteronomy 30:19)
PLEASE VISIT: http://www.facebook.com/priestsforlife.org

Old Jul 13, '09, 5:09 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic- Charismatic ☺

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieVeronica View Post
I only take it off for bathing or hair washing, and when I do.. I ask my Guardian Angel to hover over me.. until I put my Scapular back on! I feel absolutely naked without my Scapular. It's like a part of me.

God bless you!
This is what I do. When I go swimming or take a shower, I wear a scapular medal. I'm with you, Marie Veronica, I feel naked without it.

I've never been in any of the situations you describe as being times when you take it off. I really don't know what I would do.
Old Jul 13, '09, 5:42 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieVeronica View Post

God bless you!
I also just take it off for bathing. I'm single so taking it off for sex is not a problem (however it seems to me that I would want to make sure I was keeping Him in the forefront of my mind then, of all times). For medical procedures, I would ask the dr./nurse if I could have it on and state how important it is too me, then follow what they asked me to do. A mammogram? - well, since my scapular has three medals on it, I would remove it for that and I know it would get in the way of a chest x-ray. but not in the way of a knee x-ray.

"...and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?" Micah 6:8
Old Jul 14, '09, 6:38 am

Thank you all for your responses.

I, too, feel naked without mine. However, I wore the scaprular prior to my current one for over 2 years and if I hadn't washed it in all that time, I would have been walking around like the PigPen character in Peanuts. I'm not so holy that I don't sweat and have skin secretions. To me it would be like wearing the same bra every day for 2 years without ever taking it off. In my opinion: Yuck. However, I have already admitted my own laziness at not replacing my scapular after I take it off to toss it into the washing machine. So this situation is certainly rectifiable.

I really can't imagine wearing my scapular during sex, and I have always taken it off beforehand. It is extremely difficult for me to believe that couples wear their scapulars during sex. As a middle-aged married woman, I suspect -- and I'm entitled to my own opinion here -- that people actually do remove their scapulars for sex unless they have sex clothed and motionless. Again, my own opinion, based on my own experiences.

As for medical procedures, well, everyone had best pray that they do not need emergency surgery, because I assure you the medical personnel will cut off your scapular and you will not be allowed to wear it, nor the medal either (but I'm not talking about medals, since I don't wear one.) I had surgery on my hand to remove a benign giant-cell tumor and everything had to be off, not one stitch on and no scapular, either. So, really, in case of surgery, accident, etc., none of us will be wearing our scapulars.

So, folks, again, my opinion, the honest answers are to wear our scapulars constantly except for bathing, medical situations, and sex.
Old Jul 14, '09, 10:29 am

I remove it for showering and, yes... the marital act.
For swimming I use a scapular medal and then replace with the scapular after I dry off.
Old Jul 15, '09, 12:38 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

The best idea would be to have two scapulars. I'd need several because if I work out at the gym my shirt is usually pretty wet by the end of the session. For swimming it was customary to put on the scapular medal. For a medical procedure I'd ask if I could tie the scapular elsewhere of carry a scapular medal. I'm also not married, so I don't have sex.

I haven't worn one for decades but yesterday bought a new one. Now I wish that I had purchased a few (they are only two dollars each).

Rove
---God may be calling you to the Third Order of St Francis - Ordo Franciscanus Saecularis---
Old Jul 15, '09, 10:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by drforjc View Post
I remove it for showering and, yes... the marital act.
For swimming I use a scapular medal and then replace with the scapular after I dry off.
Thank you, drforjc - for the honest answer!

Old Jul 15, '09, 10:30 am

roveau - Thank you for your response.

That is a breathtaking photo in your signature! Where is it? Is the photo in public domain?

Thanks.
Old Jul 25, '09, 10:39 am

My wife and I don't take them off. The scapular is a sacramental, marriage is a sacrament. Seems funny to me to think that we're somehow dishonoring a sacramental while renewing our sacrament. Or another way, would you cover the crucifix in your bedroom before the marital embrace?

My opinion.

M

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality