Go Back   Catholic Answers Groups > Group Forums > Friends of Opus Dei (Please join, and invite others)

Friends of Opus Dei (Please join, and invite others) Click here to visit this social group

Old Jul 14, '09, 4:56 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic (but looking East)
Send a message via AIM to damooster
Default Evening of recollection.

I recently emailed the local Study Center and was invited to an Evening of Recollection. What is this and what can I expect to occur? Please keep in mind that I'm a new Catholic convert as well (baptized/confirmed this past Easter).

Thank you.
Old Aug 5, '09, 12:54 am
Greeter

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to jaaraf
Cool Re: Evening of recollection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damooster View Post
I recently emailed the local Study Center and was invited to an Evening of Recollection. What is this and what can I expect to occur? Please keep in mind that I'm a new Catholic convert as well (baptized/confirmed this past Easter).

Thank you.
An evening of recollection basically consists of a series of activities related to forming your spiritual life. This may consist of, but not limited too:
-meditations where in for 30 min. at a time the priest talks about spiritual topics while one quietly reflects on them as a matter for convesation with our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament,
-a talk on some virtue or spiritual topic by a lay person,
-spiritual readings done out loud by the leader while the rest listen quietly in the oratory,
-examination of consceince wherein the leader says certain points of examination audibly while the other participants reflect on it, -benediction where the Blessed Sacrament is brought out by the priest, hymns are sung and prayers are said in adoration.
-one is free to line up in a queue for confession and spiritual direction with the preist in between the sceduled activities.
I hope you find this short explanation helpful I have helped out with several recollection for students and young professionals over the pass few years myself.

J.A.
P.S. I'm a female associate of Opus Dei
Old Aug 5, '09, 5:11 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic (but looking East)
Send a message via AIM to damooster
Default Re: Evening of recollection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaraf View Post
I hope you find this short explanation helpful I have helped out with several recollection for students and young professionals over the pass few years myself.

J.A.
P.S. I'm a female associate of Opus Dei
Thank you for the information. It sounds like something I'd like to do.

Your post does lead me to another question, however: your mentioning "young professionals" is something I've noticed a lot when researching Opus Dei. For example, the Study Center close to where I reside also has programs geared towards "young professionals and students." I'm pretty much neither of those. I have a blue collar job and would not consider what I do to be in the "professional" category at all. And I don't really consider myself young either .

Why is Opus Dei seemingly geared towards "young professionals?" The term "professional" makes it sound like an elitist organization. Is there a place for a blue collar guy in Opus Dei? Am I going to be out of place?
Old Aug 20, '09, 6:36 am
Greeter

Send a message via Yahoo to jaaraf
Cool Re: Evening of recollection.

Quote:

Your post does lead me to another question, however: your mentioning "young professionals" is something I've noticed a lot when researching Opus Dei. For example, the Study Center close to where I reside also has programs geared towards "young professionals and students." I'm pretty much neither of those. I have a blue collar job and would not consider what I do to be in the "professional" category at all. And I don't really consider myself young either .

Why is Opus Dei seemingly geared towards "young professionals?" The term "professional" makes it sound like an elitist organization. Is there a place for a blue collar guy in Opus Dei? Am I going to be out of place?
Its not an elitist organization at all! Although a lot of activities are geared toward young students and professional, Opus Dei also caters to activities in all age groups and social statuses. It just happens that the focus may be on those who are in the so-called intellectual professions because it is necessary in order to find vocations who have a capacity to provide formational activities and are able to dedicate themselves primarily to this task (i.e. the numeraries of Opus Dei). Nevertheless, members and those who attend activities are from different professions. There are members of Opus Dei in my country who are housewives, household helpers, taxi drivers, jeepney drivers, a fisherman, a security guard, a hairdresser.... There are also a lot of professionals, of course. I personally know another associate who teaches in a public school in a multi-grade classroom in a far-flung area of the country. In other countries there are members who are firemen, truck drivers, etc. Depending on where in the world you are, you may meet more professionals, but the message of sanctification in the middle of the world is universal. I'm sure the people around will try to make you feel welcome.
Old Feb 19, '13, 12:00 pm

Default Re: Evening of recollection.

Quote:

Hi, Could you post some info regarding the recollection evening you were going to attend? I'm going on my first recollection evening ever this Thursday and I'm not sure what to expect. I'm based in UK and as far as I know the group I'm going to join is very small. I have been thinking about what to expect, what I should take with me and what the dress code is. It may sound funny but I've never been to a recollection evening before so I'm a bit nervous but also excited. It will also be my second visit to the local OD centre as well.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Group Forums > Friends of Opus Dei (Please join, and invite others)