Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 15, '09, 12:45 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via AIM to SacredHeartFan
Smile Vocations to Carmel anyone?

I am considering a vocation to the Carmelite Monks in Wyoming (see signature). St. Therese of Lisieux has deeply inspired me and anytime I hear the words "Carmel" or "Carmelite" or "Cloister" my heart flutters I get really excited!!!! I was wondering if anyone else was thinking of a carmelite vocation and where you would join.

Blessed Mother, Star of the Sea, Pray for us!

"If the Americans were as expert in spiritual
matters as they are in business affairs, all of
them would be saints!"
~Bl. Francis Xavier Seelos
www.seelos.org
Old Jul 15, '09, 3:47 pm
Forum Master
Book Club Member

Religion: Byzantine Ruthenian "Traditional" Catholic
Default Re: Vocations to Carmel anyone?

Just to be clear, Carmelites are not monks though we are monastics. We are properly mendicant friars.

The group in Wyoming is great but, just so you know, they are not affiliated with either the Discalced Carmelites (O.C.D.) nor the Carmelites (O.Carm.). They are formed under the local bishop.

Having said that. Yes I feel a call to Carmel and that is why I am a brother in the Carmelite order (O.Carm.). I have finished my first year of theological studies for the priesthood and am now off to work at one of our ministries, teaching at our high school in Tucson, for two years before returning to DC to finish my studies.

And let me add, happy feast day! As July 16th is the Feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel!
Old Jul 15, '09, 5:21 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByzCath View Post
Just to be clear, Carmelites are not monks though we are monastics. We are properly mendicant friars.

Just curious, what makes them mendicant friars if Carmelites live monastically? Also, how does contemplative prayer fit in?
Old Jul 15, '09, 6:08 pm
Forum Master
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prayerchanges View Post
Just curious, what makes them mendicant friars if Carmelites live monastically? Also, how does contemplative prayer fit in?
We are monastic in that, as all mendicant friars, we live in community. We are not cloistered which monks are.
Old Jul 15, '09, 6:26 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
We are monastic in that, as all mendicant friars, we live in community. We are not cloistered which monks are.
But they are still Carmelite in their charism and rule. They follow the Carmel rule that was laid down at the begining of the order and not the new revised rule.

them would be saints!"
www.seelos.org
Old Jul 15, '09, 6:52 pm
Forum Master
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacredHeartFan View Post
But they are still Carmelite in their charism and rule. They follow the Carmel rule that was laid down at the begining of the order and not the new revised rule.
There is no "new revised" rule. Both the OCD and O.Carm. follow the rule that is our rule.

They may follow it, which the bishop allows, and they may follow the Carmelite Charism, but for myself, to follow the Carmelite Charism and traditions means to be in the Carmelite order that was founded just about 800 years ago.
Old Jul 16, '09, 10:14 am
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
There is no "new revised" rule. Both the OCD and O.Carm. follow the rule that is our rule.

They may follow it, which the bishop allows, and they may follow the Carmelite Charism, but for myself, to follow the Carmelite Charism and traditions means to be in the Carmelite order that was founded just about 800 years ago.
Well I feel a call to the more tradditional, cloistered life that the monks lead. Is it not a good thing that we both serve the Lord though? These are the petty differences St. Teresa of Avila and St. John of the Cross talked about that would bring an end to their beloved Carmel.
When the MFVA's sprang up in Alabama, I heard no mention of differences between them and other Franciscans. If we are both to wear the Holy Habit and the Holy Vows and live a life consecrated to our Lord and his Blessed Mother of Mt. Carmel, are we then not brothers? Or better yet, is our already existing brotherhood in Christ not strengthened to a higher degree? I believe it is.

them would be saints!"
www.seelos.org
Old Jul 16, '09, 1:43 pm
Forum Master
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacredHeartFan View Post
Well I feel a call to the more tradditional, cloistered life that the monks lead. Is it not a good thing that we both serve the Lord though? These are the petty differences St. Teresa of Avila and St. John of the Cross talked about that would bring an end to their beloved Carmel.
When the MFVA's sprang up in Alabama, I heard no mention of differences between them and other Franciscans. If we are both to wear the Holy Habit and the Holy Vows and live a life consecrated to our Lord and his Blessed Mother of Mt. Carmel, are we then not brothers? Or better yet, is our already existing brotherhood in Christ not strengthened to a higher degree? I believe it is.
No it is not a bad thing. I just think it is important to point out that they are not affiliated with either of the Carmelite religious order and the fact that there is no tradition within the Carmelites of monks. We do have hermits but that differs from monks living in a cloister.
Old Jul 16, '09, 3:33 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
No it is not a bad thing. I just think it is important to point out that they are not affiliated with either of the Carmelite religious order and the fact that there is no tradition within the Carmelites of monks. We do have hermits but that differs from monks living in a cloister.
Well maybe this is the start of something new. Maybe the order and this monastery will make an agreement or something of that nature and there will be introduced to the world, monks living the Carmelite life. After all someone had to start the active Carmelites and now we have the cloistered Carmelites.

them would be saints!"
www.seelos.org
Old Jul 18, '09, 2:31 pm

Religion: Catholic

I want to put in a plug for the Carmelites of St. Joseph in Austin, Minnesota (Annunciation Hermitage). They have recently completed affiliation with the O.Carm's and at some point hopefully in the near future will juridically move from diocesan authority to full aggregation with the Order.

Just a fantastic group of men.
Old Jul 18, '09, 6:38 pm
Prayer Warrior

I have decided to continue looking at contemplative Carmels. I was an applicant to the Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus in Milwaukee, WI, but in May, I found out, through experience, that I am not called there. I was looking at cloistered Carmelite websites today and realized I am still very much drawn to their spirituality. It's basically a toss up between Carmelites and Visitandines. I was planning a trip to Mobile, Alabama later this summer, and I know there are some Carmelites there, so maybe I could make a pit stop, or divide my time between both convents. We'll see.

Old Jul 18, '09, 6:48 pm
Banned

I just stumbled across the Carmelite Sisters of Mary, for those who are particularly interested in the eremetical side of Carmel.

http://carmelitesofeldridge.org/carm...fmarypage1.htm

They live in hermitages on 80 wooded acres north of Spokane, WA. They are not enclosed yet, as some have to work in town one day/week to earn $ to survive, and they don't have a resident priest so have to go in to town for Mass once a week. But they have the BS reserved in their hermitages, ie Adoration 24/7! They have the mandatory 2 hours silent prayer/day, recite the office and distribute the Sacrament the non-Mass days.

They sound unique and very interesting, particularly to add to the short list of Carmelite hermit orders.
Old Jul 18, '09, 8:43 pm
Forum Master

SacredHeartFan- Praised be Jesus! Thank you for sharing the wonderful pictures of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, St. Therese, and St. John of the Cross just gazing upon them I have a sense of peace and awe.

I believe that the Lord is calling me to the life and light of Carmelite. You can read some of my threads:

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=308955

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=337577

Discalced Carmelite Nuns

Carmel of St. Joseph Monastery in Armstrong, B.C.

http://www.carmelspall.org/Home.htm

God bless you while you are discerning my dear friend
goforgoal

Last edited by goforgoal; Jul 18, '09 at 8:55 pm.
Old Jul 18, '09, 10:17 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goforgoal View Post
SacredHeartFan- Praised be Jesus! Thank you for sharing the wonderful pictures of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, St. Therese, and St. John of the Cross just gazing upon them I have a sense of peace and awe.

I believe that the Lord is calling me to the life and light of Carmelite. You can read some of my threads:

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=308955

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=337577

Discalced Carmelite Nuns

Carmel of St. Joseph Monastery in Armstrong, B.C.

http://www.carmelspall.org/Home.htm

God bless you while you are discerning my dear friend
goforgoal
goforgoal,

I'm actually thinking about writing the Armstrong Carmelites. I was looking at their website and profile within the "Mary, Queen of Carmel" association and just fell in love. The other one I plan to write to is the Carmelite Monastery in Denmark, WI.

Of course, not forgetting that I am really drawn to the Visitandines too, I hope to go to a monastery soon!

Old Jul 21, '09, 6:16 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

I feel called to the OCDS.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations