Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 20, '09, 12:21 pm

Religion: Catholic
Question NFP Question: Identifying peak...Irregular luteal phase?

Hi all,

I have been doing the Billings Method for about a year now and have noticed that my cycles have always been very regular: 28-30 days (+/- 1 day for some cycles). I would say I have always been very regular my entire life. Now that Iím charting my luteal phase though, I have noticed that the first few months I was charting, I was ovulating almost on the same exact day every cycle and my cycles were the exact same length (+/- 1 day). For a couple of months now, I have seen that I ovulate right after my period or my ovulation is delayed for more than a week. My cycles, however, are still the same length. So, what seems to be irregular now is the luteal phase that used to be around 14 days and now it can be anywhere from 10-20 days.

I am pretty confident in detecting when I ovulate, so that is why I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem with an irregular luteal phase? Is that a symptom of something else? Or am I completely misreading my peak?

Thank you so much in advance.

In Christ,
Augustinian82
Old Jul 20, '09, 1:10 pm

Default Re: NFP Question: Identifying peak...Irregular luteal phase?

I can't speak for the Billings Method... but normally the luteal phase does not really vary from month to month - it may be different from woman to woman, but for the same woman it's normally consistent.
A "luteal phase defect" usually occurs when it's too short... which can prevent an embryo from implanting and sustaining a successful pregnancy. This can usually be improved with better nutrition.

Are you SURE you're actually ovulating when you think you are?
Have you considered trying another method such as sympto-thermal?
Here is a great free how-to guide if you're interested... http://nfpandmore.com/nfphowto.shtml

Tailgate in style! - SharperTailgating.com
Old Jul 20, '09, 1:12 pm

I also wanted to add - since your signature ticker suggests you're trying to conceive...
Have you tried http://www.fertilityfriend.com/ ?? It's a great website that steps you through charting (sympto-thermal method) for trying to conceive.

HTH!

Tailgate in style! - SharperTailgating.com
Old Jul 20, '09, 1:45 pm

Luteaul phases are remarkably consistent; they don't vary more much more than +/- 1 day each cycle within a given woman. Although stress, nutrition, excercise, etc. can affect or delay ovulation, once the egg has been released external factors have no effect on the menstrual process. The average luteal phase is 13-14 days. It is sometimes shorter when a woman has a progesterone deficiency. The NFP literature suggests that if your luetal phase ever reaches 18 days, it's a strong indicator that you are pregnant.

I would question whether you are actually identifying ovulation correctly. Have you met with your BOMA instructor or had someone look at your charts? Have you considered using thermal temps to verify ovulation? Sometimes seminal residue can confuse ovulation method users because it looks and feels very similar to the estrogenic fertile-quality mucus. Another possibility is that you are getting pregnant every month and chronically miscarrying, although I would think this would be much more unlikely.
Old Jul 20, '09, 2:10 pm

Thanks everybody for your quick replies.

The times that I have either ovulated very early or very late, I was traveling overseas or under a lot of stress, so I didn't pay much attention to it. However, last cycle, there was nothing out of the ordinary and I had a 18-19 day luteal phase. I had the egg white conistency mucus and the wet sensation right after my period and prior to intercourse, so I know for sure, it is not seminal fluid. I really like the Billings Method, because it is very second-nature. I wonder if I can just have a gut-check and check my temperature too, but I'm not supposed to mix the two methods.

Miscarriage may be a possibility, because before I got married my cycles were on the dot. It was after we got married (and had intercourse) that the cycles (from time to time) started going crazy. But what are the symptoms of miscarriage at such early stage? How could you even know?
Old Jul 20, '09, 2:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustinian82 View Post
I really like the Billings Method, because it is very second-nature. I wonder if I can just have a gut-check and check my temperature too, but I'm not supposed to mix the two methods.
Yeah, if you start taking temps it ceases to be the BOM and becomes sympto-thermal instead. I personally love sympto-thermal because I like watching for the temp rise. But if you aren't comfortable doing this, you should at least talk with your instructor and show her your charts. She may be able to catch something that we aren't.

Quote:
Miscarriage may be a possibility, because before I got married my cycles were on the dot. It was after we got married (and had intercourse) that the cycles (from time to time) started going crazy. But what are the symptoms of miscarriage at such early stage? How could you even know?
I knew that I was pregnant one month because my luteal phases, which had always been 12 or 13 days, reached 14 days one cycle. I took a pregnancy test that day and bingo, it was positive. I miscarried a week later. It just felt like a heavy period with slightly thicker blood clots. Basically, I knew it was a miscarriage because I knew I had been pregnant.

If you have a lot of chart history and had a fairly consistent luteal phases, you could trying taking a pregnancy test on, like, the 15th or 16th day post ovulation (or a day after your 'typical' luteul phase). But I'm still betting on that you're misidentifying the peak day.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting