Catholic FAQ

We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jul 24, '09, 9:22 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Masterbation is or isn't a sin?

I was learned to not masterbate because of my religion(catholic). I've been searching for this answer for about 2 years, when I started, and for the past 2 years, I have been feeling alot of guilt after every time I have masterbated, I am 15 years old. When I google'd if it was a sin or not. The majority said It is not a sin, and i have seen few who say it is. And today, I was researching I was coming across this site. I've prayed for the answer multiple signs, but I can't seem to find it. Hopefully this site, will give me the answer to my prayers. So my question is, is masterbation a sin and is it ok to continue masterbating?

Noel.
Old Jul 24, '09, 9:39 pm

Default Re:

Yes, and not an easy one to stop either. The catechism of the catholic church, (sort of like all the teachings compounded and made simple), says it's a sin.

Here, these might help.
http://www.chastity.com/chastity/ind...d=7&entryid=20

http://www.chastity.com/chastity/ind...d=7&entryid=50

(Also, if you're using someone else's computer, you might want to check your email, and change your options so you don't get email alerts for subscribed threads. It might be embarassing if someone sees an e-mail with the thread title in it.)
Mathew 16:18
------------------------
Stopping abortions is social justice!
Old Jul 24, '09, 9:40 pm

Default Re: Masterbation is or isn't a sin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelwashere View Post
I was learned to not masterbate because of my religion(catholic). I've been searching for this answer for about 2 years, when I started, and for the past 2 years, I have been feeling alot of guilt after every time I have masterbated, I am 15 years old. When I google'd if it was a sin or not. The majority said It is not a sin, and i have seen few who say it is. And today, I was researching I was coming across this site. I've prayed for the answer multiple signs, but I can't seem to find it. Hopefully this site, will give me the answer to my prayers. So my question is, is masterbation a sin and is it ok to continue masterbating?

Noel.

How wonderful to hear a young man seek to live his Catholic faith. God love you. Yes my friend it is a sin. And no doubt the Grace of God is convicting you. Work very hard now. Remember your Catholic faith is a battle. Go to confession and seek the the Lord's forgiveness. And don't lose hope. Keep away from all immodesty. Chose your friends wisely. Ask the Blessed Virgin to help you.
Old Jul 24, '09, 9:50 pm

William, You have just made my day.
Old Jul 24, '09, 10:37 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Noel, it's a mortal sin too. Good on you for seeking an answer to this question. I prayed that Our Lady of the Rosary will pray for you to have strength.

Good advice above, to which I'd add keep control of what you look at and where your thoughts are going.

God Bless

Rove
---God may be calling you to the Third Order of St Francis - Ordo Franciscanus Saecularis---
Old Jul 25, '09, 5:25 am
Banned

Religion: Dissident Catholic

The church says yes.
Old Jul 25, '09, 6:03 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Noel, while the Church recognizes masturbation as grave matter it may not always be a mortal sin. For a sin to be mortal you have to have 1) grave matter, 2) full knowledge and 3) full consent. So, while this is always an offense to God, you should seek the sacrament of reconciliation and have the priest help you discern the gravity of this sin for you. At 15 years old you must be commended for seeking chastity in the way that you are, Most kids your age wouldn't even think to ask.

God always loves you and is always there for you. For a young man this is very much a struggle to overcome since your hormones are running rapant. It will take much discipline. It can be done but don't beat yourself up if you fail at times. Just continue in your prayer life and go to confession and receive the Eucharist. Jesus loves you very much and He knows you better than anyone. Keep up the good fight and thank God for all of the graces that you received..................God bless............teachccd
Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10
Old Jul 25, '09, 7:22 am

The temptation to masturbate is a place where you can encounter God. Choose Him instead of pleasure. A song lyric I like, that summarizes this, goes "You created nothing that gives me more pleasure than You." Find a way to praise God in the midst of temptation.

Reject masturbation, but don't judge yourself if you fall. Sparrows fall all the time, and God picks them up and provides for them. You are worth many sparrows.

Mercy Street: A Prodigal Blog
Stumbling toward a loving, Christian response to homosexuality
Old Jul 25, '09, 7:40 am

Quote:

Noel.
Your answer can be found in the official Catechism of the Catholic Church:

2352 By masturbation is to be understood the deliberate stimulation of the genital organs in order to derive sexual pleasure. "Both the Magisterium of the Church, in the course of a constant tradition, and the moral sense of the faithful have been in no doubt and have firmly maintained that masturbation is an intrinsically and gravely disordered action."137 "The deliberate use of the sexual faculty, for whatever reason, outside of marriage is essentially contrary to its purpose." For here sexual pleasure is sought outside of "the sexual relationship which is demanded by the moral order and in which the total meaning of mutual self-giving and human procreation in the context of true love is achieved." 138

[137/138 footnotes: CDF, Persona humana 9.]

The fact is, according to the Church, masturbation IS a sin. Some teens (and even grown men) have had problems with this sin, but please realize that it can be confessed. Ask God to give you strength in coping with this. You might also want to ask Saint Dominic Savio for his intercession to help you. He is the saint of teenagers. To find out more about him, you may go to this website and read about the guy -

http://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=43

Also, Amazon.com offers a list of books about him.
Old Jul 25, '09, 1:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by peary View Post
Your answer can be found in the official Catechism of the Catholic Church:

2352 By masturbation is to be understood the deliberate stimulation of the genital organs in order to derive sexual pleasure. "Both the Magisterium of the Church, in the course of a constant tradition, and the moral sense of the faithful have been in no doubt and have firmly maintained that masturbation is an intrinsically and gravely disordered action."137 "The deliberate use of the sexual faculty, for whatever reason, outside of marriage is essentially contrary to its purpose." For here sexual pleasure is sought outside of "the sexual relationship which is demanded by the moral order and in which the total meaning of mutual self-giving and human procreation in the context of true love is achieved." 138

[137/138 footnotes: CDF, Persona humana 9.]

The fact is, according to the Church, masturbation IS a sin. Some teens (and even grown men) have had problems with this sin, but please realize that it can be confessed. Ask God to give you strength in coping with this. You might also want to ask Saint Dominic Savio for his intercession to help you. He is the saint of teenagers. To find out more about him, you may go to this website and read about the guy -

http://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=43

Also, Amazon.com offers a list of books about him.

2352 By masturbation is to be understood the deliberate stimulation of the genital organs in order to derive sexual pleasure. "Both the Magisterium of the Church, in the course of a constant tradition, and the moral sense of the faithful have been in no doubt and have firmly maintained that masturbation is an intrinsically and gravely disordered action."138 "The deliberate use of the sexual faculty, for whatever reason, outside of marriage is essentially contrary to its purpose." For here sexual pleasure is sought outside of "the sexual relationship which is demanded by the moral order and in which the total meaning of mutual self-giving and human procreation in the context of true love is achieved."139 To form an equitable judgment about the subjects' moral responsibility and to guide pastoral action, one must take into account the affective immaturity, force of acquired habit, conditions of anxiety or other psychological or social factors that lessen, if not even reduce to a minimum, moral culpability.

I just wanted to be fair and give Noel the entire section (bold mine) as I think that it is important to realize this especially for one who might be scrupulous. That is why it is so critical for everyone to seek the sacrament of reconciliation. This is really the only place that a person can discern the gravity of their sins. I am not undermining the sinful nature of this act but when a section of the CCC is quoted, it should be in its entirety in order to maintain the context..................... teachccd
Old Jul 25, '09, 1:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachccd View Post
2352 By masturbation is to be understood the deliberate stimulation of the genital organs in order to derive sexual pleasure. "Both the Magisterium of the Church, in the course of a constant tradition, and the moral sense of the faithful have been in no doubt and have firmly maintained that masturbation is an intrinsically and gravely disordered action."138 "The deliberate use of the sexual faculty, for whatever reason, outside of marriage is essentially contrary to its purpose." For here sexual pleasure is sought outside of "the sexual relationship which is demanded by the moral order and in which the total meaning of mutual self-giving and human procreation in the context of true love is achieved."139 To form an equitable judgment about the subjects' moral responsibility and to guide pastoral action, one must take into account the affective immaturity, force of acquired habit, conditions of anxiety or other psychological or social factors that lessen, if not even reduce to a minimum, moral culpability.

I just wanted to be fair and give Noel the entire section (bold mine) as I think that it is important to realize this especially for one who might be scrupulous. That is why it is so critical for everyone to seek the sacrament of reconciliation. This is really the only place that a person can discern the gravity of their sins. I am not undermining the sinful nature of this act but when a section of the CCC is quoted, it should be in its entirety in order to maintain the context..................... teachccd
Obviously, you didn't read through to the end of my posting. That was all covered.
Old Jul 25, '09, 2:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by peary View Post
Obviously, you didn't read through to the end of my posting. That was all covered.
No where in your post did you state the latter part of section 2352. Just admitting that you can confess this sin does not give the information that is stated in the completed section of 2352. I just wanted to make sure that Noel has all of the information as stated in the Catechism of the Catholic Church. That's all........ Peace.....teachccd
Old Jul 25, '09, 6:17 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:

Noel.
It is indeed a sin, and has always been viewed as such by the Church. Coming from a fellow 15-year-old, one who's kicked the habit, your #1 weapon for fighting it is Confession.
Old Jul 25, '09, 8:57 pm

In the future, don't rely on Google to tell what is and isn't a sin. Unlike the church it is fallible and not to mention it has a lot of stuff that promotes sins.

-SBD
Old Jul 27, '09, 2:30 pm

Mathew 5:28

But I say to you, That whoever looks on a woman to lust after her has committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Of course the Caticism is a little more detailed.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology