Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Aug 2, '09, 5:22 pm
roveau's Avatar
roveau roveau is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: June 17, 2009
Posts: 1,754
Religion: Catholic
Default Bowing head at the Name of Jesus

As kids the nuns taught us that you reverently bow your head at the name of Jesus. I do that but I don't see many people doing that anymore. You are supposed to do that also when you hear the name of Jesus (profanities excepted I suppose).

I don't know if it's just the parish I attend or if it is something peculiar to this country these days but you rarely see people bowing their head when saying or hearing the name of Jesus.

What's the custom elsewhere?

Rove
__________________
May the Lord Jesus Christ bless you,
Rove, OFS
Our Lady of the Rosary Pray for usSt Francis of Assisi Pray for us
---God may be calling you to the Third Order of St Francis - Ordo Franciscanus Saecularis---
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Aug 2, '09, 5:28 pm
thunderballs75 thunderballs75 is offline
Account Under Review
 
Join Date: March 7, 2009
Posts: 627
Religion: Catholic
Send a message via MSN to thunderballs75
Default Re: Bowing head at the Name of Jesus

That's what I do. I'm not really sure what you're supposed to do anymore. The priest never bows his head at the Name of Jesus? "

I believe in the Bible it says that we should kneel at the Name of Jesus.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Aug 2, '09, 5:45 pm
ejb21 ejb21 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: June 30, 2009
Posts: 155
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Bowing head at the Name of Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by roveau View Post
As kids the nuns taught us that you reverently bow your head at the name of Jesus. I do that but I don't see many people doing that anymore. You are supposed to do that also when you hear the name of Jesus (profanities excepted I suppose).

I don't know if it's just the parish I attend or if it is something peculiar to this country these days but you rarely see people bowing their head when saying or hearing the name of Jesus.

What's the custom elsewhere?

Rove
I'm 58, and when I was a kid I was taught at home, and at school by the nuns, to bow my head at the name of Jesus. I also remember that my dad always tipped his cap whenever he went by a Catholic Church, and I've followed his example. Take care.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Aug 2, '09, 6:19 pm
tonio5555 tonio5555 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: March 24, 2008
Posts: 52
Religion: Credo in unam sanctam cathólicam et apostólicam Ecclésiam
Default Re: Bowing head at the Name of Jesus

Funny story...

I was at Bishop Rifan's Pontifical Mass from the Throne in NYC a few weeks ago, and during the Mass all the ministers, servers, etc turned towards the tabernacle and bowed their heads at the name of Jesus, even if ever so slightly, it was noticable. When Bishop Rifan gave his sermon it was all about 'Jesus.' Very good sermon but he must've said the word "Jesus" no joke like 100 times. I noticed one of the FSSP priests assisting on the altar continued to turn and bow during the sermon. Bishop Rifan would keep saying "Jesus" repeatedly and this priest would have to keep turning around to bow over and over and over and over again. It got to a point where it was just getting out of hand so he ceased turning to the tabernacle and just bowed his head where he was. Just goes to show that as pious and beautiful as this practice is, sometimes you just need to be reasonable. I mean this priest would turn, bow.. and then before he even turned back around the bishop would say "Jesus" again and he'd have to pivot towards the tabernacle again.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Aug 2, '09, 6:39 pm
lizaanne's Avatar
lizaanne lizaanne is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: February 4, 2005
Posts: 9,750
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Bowing head at the Name of Jesus

Many do this at our parish, but it is the ONLY parish I've ever been to where anyone even cared enough to know they were supposed to do this (aside from what we consider to be our sister parish north of us - only these two). Most of the time I think folks just show up and go through the motions - by no fault of their own mind you - but only because they are never taught anything more from their priest than to shake hands at the sign of peace with AS MANY people as possible, and.....

....ok - stopping there, I'm starting to sound nasty and uncharitable. But you get my drift.

We all need to get back to this level of reverence and respect for Christ. My goodness, what if He came to us tomorrow? Would we all just look the other way? Sometimes I do wonder because the vast majority of American Catholics are never taught anymore about their Faith - such a pity.

~Liza
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Aug 2, '09, 7:11 pm
Peggy in Burien Peggy in Burien is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: December 18, 2007
Posts: 16,987
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Bowing head at the Name of Jesus

I am 53, and the Irish Sisters of Charity, who taught at my grade school in Southern California, taught us to dip our heads at the Name of Jesus, especially when saying the Hail Mary. I have never seen anyone do this again, except myself, and I have lived all over the US.

I am glad to hear there are others who were taught as I was. Sometimes I feel like a pre-Vatican II freak.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Aug 2, '09, 9:24 pm
Claire from DE's Avatar
Claire from DE Claire from DE is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 31, 2004
Posts: 2,361
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Bowing head at the Name of Jesus

I was taught to do that. I can't help it, it's a habit. It's really funny when I'm talking to some nice fundamentalist who's trying to show me the error of my ways and he keeps saying 'Jesus' and I keep nodding and he thinks I'm agreeing with him.
__________________

Does a dyslexic atheist refuse to believe in dog??
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Aug 2, '09, 9:33 pm
thunderballs75 thunderballs75 is offline
Account Under Review
 
Join Date: March 7, 2009
Posts: 627
Religion: Catholic
Send a message via MSN to thunderballs75
Default Re: Bowing head at the Name of Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire from DE View Post
I was taught to do that. I can't help it, it's a habit. It's really funny when I'm talking to some nice fundamentalist who's trying to show me the error of my ways and he keeps saying 'Jesus' and I keep nodding and he thinks I'm agreeing with him.
LOL
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Aug 2, '09, 9:58 pm
excelsus excelsus is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: December 31, 2008
Posts: 96
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Bowing head at the Name of Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire from DE View Post
I was taught to do that. I can't help it, it's a habit. It's really funny when I'm talking to some nice fundamentalist who's trying to show me the error of my ways and he keeps saying 'Jesus' and I keep nodding and he thinks I'm agreeing with him.
Hahahahaha!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Aug 2, '09, 9:58 pm
BernadetteM BernadetteM is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 3, 2008
Posts: 1,354
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Bowing head at the Name of Jesus

I believe at Anglican Use Catholic parishes they bow their heads at the name of Jesus. At least from my video it looks like it. They also genuflect when the crucifix goes by in procession.

As a former Anglo Catholic we always bowed our heads at the name of Jesus and bowed when the crucifix went by and when the priest did. At the Creed in the AU parishes they genuflex when we say "conceived by the Holy Ghost and born of the Virgin Mary".

I still bow at those times at the OF Mass. I did notice one other person doing the same.

Yours in the Hearts of Jesus and Mary

Bernadette
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Aug 3, '09, 2:48 am
bpbasilphx bpbasilphx is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 19, 2007
Posts: 8,745
Religion: Orthodox
Default Re: Bowing head at the Name of Jesus

This used to be required by the rubrics of the Latin rite, namely to bow at the names of Jesus, Mary, and the Saint of the day when mentioned in the Liturgy.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Aug 3, '09, 10:06 am
Chatter163's Avatar
Chatter163 Chatter163 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 24, 2005
Posts: 3,311
Religion: Roman Catholic
Unhappy Re: Bowing head at the Name of Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpbasilphx View Post
This used to be required by the rubrics of the Latin rite, namely to bow at the names of Jesus, Mary, and the Saint of the day when mentioned in the Liturgy.
It still is required in the current missal, but few seem to pay any attention to it.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Aug 3, '09, 10:12 am
Chatter163's Avatar
Chatter163 Chatter163 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 24, 2005
Posts: 3,311
Religion: Roman Catholic
Lightbulb Re: Bowing head at the Name of Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonio5555 View Post
Funny story...

I was at Bishop Rifan's Pontifical Mass from the Throne in NYC a few weeks ago, and during the Mass all the ministers, servers, etc turned towards the tabernacle and bowed their heads at the name of Jesus, even if ever so slightly, it was noticable. When Bishop Rifan gave his sermon it was all about 'Jesus.' Very good sermon but he must've said the word "Jesus" no joke like 100 times. I noticed one of the FSSP priests assisting on the altar continued to turn and bow during the sermon. Bishop Rifan would keep saying "Jesus" repeatedly and this priest would have to keep turning around to bow over and over and over and over again. It got to a point where it was just getting out of hand so he ceased turning to the tabernacle and just bowed his head where he was. Just goes to show that as pious and beautiful as this practice is, sometimes you just need to be reasonable. I mean this priest would turn, bow.. and then before he even turned back around the bishop would say "Jesus" again and he'd have to pivot towards the tabernacle again.
Most traditionalist venues that I know employ either the "three" or "five" rule. After the third or fifth time the preacher mentions the Holy Name, the clergy in choir stop doffing their birettas and those standing (typically an MC) stop turning toward the altar, and just bow in place. This is recommended by Fortescue in his classic work.

This is why most traditional preachers utter the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary infrequently, only when context suggests it. Otherwise they refer to Our Lord (or Divine Savior, or something similar) and Our Lady (or the Blessed Mother, Sorrowful Mother, etc.)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Aug 3, '09, 10:29 am
Sarabande's Avatar
Sarabande Sarabande is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: March 9, 2007
Posts: 5,636
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Bowing head at the Name of Jesus

I grew up in the 80s and 90s and we were taught to bow our heads at the name of Jesus. I still do it today at mass, in everyday life, and even when I'm working as a musician in Protestant churches, I will bow my head whenever I hear the name of "Jesus".
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Aug 5, '09, 4:57 pm
roveau's Avatar
roveau roveau is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: June 17, 2009
Posts: 1,754
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Bowing head at the Name of Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb21 View Post
I'm 58, and when I was a kid I was taught at home, and at school by the nuns, to bow my head at the name of Jesus. I also remember that my dad always tipped his cap whenever he went by a Catholic Church, and I've followed his example. Take care.
I remember one Sunday around 1959 one of our parish priests going on about piety (he seemed a bit cranky that day) and the due reverence for the Eucharist. I'm pretty sure he said that you should cross yourself when passing a Catholic church or at least bow your head.... and certainly that men should tip or raise their hats when passing.

I don't wear a hat. Some times I remember to cross myself or nod my head when passing a Catholic church. These are all good customs because they keep our minds on a level of prayerful awareness.

I was talking to a lady the other day and she also agreed that it was the nuns that instilled the proper customs of the church into us. Now that the nuns are gone the children don't learn the proper forms and details of daily worship.... it's not that they don't want to do them.

Rove
__________________
May the Lord Jesus Christ bless you,
Rove, OFS
Our Lady of the Rosary Pray for usSt Francis of Assisi Pray for us
---God may be calling you to the Third Order of St Francis - Ordo Franciscanus Saecularis---
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8255Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: janiejnb
5018CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: UpUpAndAway
4345Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: lsbar
4029OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: B79
3833SOLITUDE
Last by: tuscany
3567Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3226Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3203Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: memphian
3122Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3048For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: tammany



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 3:21 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.