Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Aug 6, '09, 7:04 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Default priest's ring

I noticed that my priest wears a ring on his wedding finger. Until recently, I just accepted this as something all priests do. However, last week there was 2 priest friends of my pastor visiting our parish and they both did not wear rings. I'm just wondering why my priest wears a ring? Is this typical? He is a diocesan priest, he does not belong to a religious order. Thanks.

O salutaris Hostia, Quae caeli pandis ostium:
Bella premunt hostilia, Da robur, fer auxilium.
Uni trinoque Domino, Sit sempiterna gloria,
Qui vitam sine termino Nobis donet in patria.
Amen.
Old Aug 6, '09, 7:29 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: priest's ring

I'll have to say I haven't seen most priests doing this, but some priests choose to wear a wedding band of sorts to symbolize their devotion to the Church. The ring may have been blessed or bear a suitable inscription as well.

Certain religious orders have their sisters wear rings as a part of their habits too. Some priestly religious orders as well--but you mentioned that this particular priest is diocesan.

You can also just ask your priest what his ring means. I'm sure he would be happy to tell you.
Old Aug 6, '09, 9:17 am
Prayer Warrior

Yes I probably could just ask him, actually I'm quite curious now that you say you haven't seen many priests do it. I just don't want to pester him too much as I always have tons of questions. Anyhow though thanks very much for your answer, I appreciate it. I probably will ask him now.

Amen.
Old Aug 6, '09, 11:26 am

Religion: revert catholic, FINALLY serious about my faith

That's interesting because most of the priests I know DO wear rings. I suppose it's a good thing to have if they want to ward off advances when they're out and about in street clothes, rather than clerics.

My pastor was the first priest I'd ever seen who didn't wear a ring.

Phil 1:3-6
Old Aug 6, '09, 11:45 am

Religion: Syro-Maronite (trisat shoubho)

Something I'm curious about: does this priest wear a ring while offering Mass or celebrating other Sacraments or other public services?
Old Aug 7, '09, 7:39 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristie_m View Post
That's interesting because most of the priests I know DO wear rings.
Oh that is interesting... it obviously isn't required of priests I guess then. I mean, unless they are religious of course, but that's different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristie_m
I suppose it's a good thing to have if they want to ward off advances when they're out and about in street clothes, rather than clerics.
I never thought of that. It really doesn't apply to my pastor though because he wears a collar all the time, and even a cassock quite often. I saw him at the grocers once in a cassock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by malphono
Something I'm curious about: does this priest wear a ring while offering Mass or celebrating other Sacraments or other public services?
Yes, he does wear the ring during those times. But as far as I know he wears it all the time. I'm pretty sure I've seen him wearing it outside of the church. Though now that you point that out, I may check. I still haven't asked him about it, he and I are both quite busy. I'm hoping to ask him this weekend though.

Amen.
Old Aug 7, '09, 8:13 am
Forum Master
Book Club Member

Religion: Byzantine Ruthenian "Traditional" Catholic

The ring is a sort of tradition some priests and religious have taken up. I do not know when it started.

I do not wear a ring for the fact that it gives the mistaken impression that a priest or religious is "married" to the Church. Which is not true.

Quote:
That's interesting because most of the priests I know DO wear rings. I suppose it's a good thing to have if they want to ward off advances when they're out and about in street clothes, rather than clerics.

My pastor was the first priest I'd ever seen who didn't wear a ring.
It has been my experience that wearing a ring attracts advances as much as not wearing one does.
Old Aug 7, '09, 11:08 am

Religion: revert catholic, FINALLY serious about my faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByzCath View Post
It has been my experience that wearing a ring attracts advances as much as not wearing one does.
That is sad. Although I had a deacon say to me recently something similar about the roman collar....that once upon a time it was the cue for women to back off...now they see it as nothing more than a challenge.

Phil 1:3-6
Old Aug 7, '09, 11:30 am
Forum Master
Book Club Member

Quote:
That is sad. Although I had a deacon say to me recently something similar about the roman collar....that once upon a time it was the cue for women to back off...now they see it as nothing more than a challenge.
Some also see it as the sign of a man who has a deep faith and ability to commit.

Sometimes I think it is a sub-conscious attraction for the women rather than them making the conscious decision to pursue such men.
Old Aug 7, '09, 12:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan_Calvin View Post
Quote:
Yes, he does wear the ring during those times. But as far as I know he wears it all the time. I'm pretty sure I've seen him wearing it outside of the church. Though now that you point that out, I may check. I still haven't asked him about it, he and I are both quite busy. I'm hoping to ask him this weekend though.
Interesting. Whether he wears a ring outside of Mass etc, is of little consequence to me. I assume this is a Latin Rite priest, but unless he's a bishop or mitered abbot (or possibly a Protonotary Apostolic), he should not wear a ring for Mass or other public liturgical functions. Canon Lawyers are entitled to a ring ex officio, but even they are supposed to remove it for Mass etc. It's not what I would call a capital offense, (or even the overused word "abuse") but it is a matter of liturgical propriety.
Old Aug 7, '09, 12:37 pm

Religion: Catholic (Anglican)

Well... is he married?
Old Aug 7, '09, 1:30 pm
Forum Master
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malphono View Post
Interesting. Whether he wears a ring outside of Mass etc, is of little consequence to me. I assume this is a Latin Rite priest, but unless he's a bishop or mitered abbot (or possibly a Protonotary Apostolic), he should not wear a ring for Mass or other public liturgical functions. Canon Lawyers are entitled to a ring ex officio, but even they are supposed to remove it for Mass etc. It's not what I would call a capital offense, (or even the overused word "abuse") but it is a matter of liturgical propriety.
Can you please provide a cite to the document that states that a priest may not wear a ring while celebrating Mass. This is the first I have heard of it.
Old Aug 7, '09, 1:40 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by malphono View Post
I assume this is a Latin Rite priest, but unless he's a bishop or mitered abbot (or possibly a Protonotary Apostolic), he should not wear a ring for Mass or other public liturgical functions. Canon Lawyers are entitled to a ring ex officio, but even they are supposed to remove it for Mass etc. It's not what I would call a capital offense, (or even the overused word "abuse") but it is a matter of liturgical propriety.
Oh?? Well, that confuses me a bit if its true, because my priest is very orthodox. Yes he is Latin rite but he celebrates the Tridentine mass weekly as well as the OF, and he is really a stickler for having everything liturgically and canonically correct... in mass, confession, life in general, etc... so it surprises me if he is doing something "wrong". He's really quite "rigid" overall in how he practices as a priest so it doesn't seem like something he would do. I'll really have to ask him now!

Amen.
Old Aug 7, '09, 1:47 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
The ring is a sort of tradition some priests and religious have taken up. I do not know when it started.
Oh OK well thanks for saying it is a tradition of sorts, even if you don't know the origin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByzCath
I do not wear a ring for the fact that it gives the mistaken impression that a priest or religious is "married" to the Church. Which is not true.
Yes actually I've heard more than one person say priests and religious are married to the Church. I just assumed it was true. Thank you for telling me otherwise.

Amen.
Old Aug 7, '09, 2:11 pm

Quote:
Can you please provide a cite to the document that states that a priest may not wear a ring while celebrating Mass. This is the first I have heard of it.
No, I cannot give you chapter-and-verse right now. But I can say that it is (at least it was) the custom. Perhaps another poster with better resources can fill that in. The best I can do for the moment is from The Ecclesiastical Review which says:

Quote:
RINGS WORN BY CLERIOS AT MASS (STUDIES AND CONFERENCES 705)
Qu: May a member of a religious community in which the priests wear a ring to which they are entitled by their profession celebrate Mass wearing this ring
Resp: From the canons of general legislation as well as the new Code it appears that the wearing of a ring at Mass is not permitted to simple priests without a special Apostolic induit Even where the ring is a legitimate token of office such as the doctorate a priest may not wear it during liturgical functions That privilege is reserved as a mark of ecclesiastical authority to bishops and prelates Nor does custom establish a right of this kind as has been declared by the Sacred Congregation SRC in Piscien 9 March 1894 The constitutions of the community in question if approved by the Holy See in general terms should contain the expressed approval for the wearing of the ring at Mass At other times it is of course merely the mark of religious profession and implies no assumption of ecclesiastical authority
What that quote says is exactly what we were taught. And by "taught" I hope you get my drift that I do not mean in grade school, or high school, or "religious ed" or anything of the like.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments