Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 19, '09, 10:55 am
Observing Member

Default Talk with a Priest

Hello, I am just trying to find out how I can talk with a priest online or at least away from my diocese. I am not seeking any of the sacraments, I just need some spiritual direction. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but I am a seminarian and these men will be my brother priests and I need help that I don't want them to associate me with. Again, most things I would be fine talking with the priests here and for simple confession I have no qualms, but none of the local priests have been able to help me and I haven't been able to develop a relationship that would allow me to trust them not to associate me with the level I need help.

Disturbed Seminarian
Old Aug 19, '09, 12:53 pm

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic
Default Re: Talk with a Priest

It doesn't sound good that you don't already have a spiritual director within the seminary or diocese. Or that you feel you cannot trust or open up to any priest within your entire diocese. However if you feel you must talk to someone else, try contacting a seminary, retreat house, or cathedral in another area. You will at least know something about the man you talk to there, rather than reaching an anonymouse online maybe priest.
Old Aug 19, '09, 12:56 pm

Religion: Catholic

You could private-message Fr. Serpa...

You can find him on the Ask An Apologist page.

Gem
Old May 25, '11, 4:01 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: Catholic, Quaker, Unitarian-Universalist
Cool Re: Talk with a Priest

I'm having the same problem. I only joined this site because I have a problem that I really want to talk to with someone, and I can't find ANYWHERE online a site that allows me to just talk instantly and anonymously with someone about a specific problem. Why is it so hard to find a catholic instant-messaging type thing, some kind of hotline or anything like that for people who need help? The closest thing I found were online dating sites, or links to counseling sites that require payment. The Catholic church needs to adapt if it wants to help young people, and those of us who want anonymous and free catholic counseling shouldn't have to be told that our expectations are too high or that we need to just learn to deal with the system that exists. It shouldn't be this hard to find help in this day and age - caring clergy could easily start a facebook page and volunteer to chat with strangers who need a friend. Do you know what it's like to type "Catholic online counseling" into the google bar over and over and come up with articles about a new Ipad App for people who want to confess their sins at a nominal fee? It feels like there's no spirit out there, nothing alive to connect with, and I feel like a fool for expecting my faith to stay alive in this crazy world. I know I may have ranted a little and gone off-topic, but I swear I looked for groups on this site that are on topic and when I thought I found one it wouldn't let me post anything. If anyone reading this is a clergy member who wants to keep faith alive, come find me or some other needy soul on facebook. We're waiting. Thank you for your time.
Old May 25, '11, 4:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanofoptimism View Post
I'm having the same problem. I only joined this site because I have a problem that I really want to talk to with someone, and I can't find ANYWHERE online a site that allows me to just talk instantly and anonymously with someone about a specific problem. Why is it so hard to find a catholic instant-messaging type thing, some kind of hotline or anything like that for people who need help? The closest thing I found were online dating sites, or links to counseling sites that require payment. The Catholic church needs to adapt if it wants to help young people, and those of us who want anonymous and free catholic counseling shouldn't have to be told that our expectations are too high or that we need to just learn to deal with the system that exists. It shouldn't be this hard to find help in this day and age - caring clergy could easily start a facebook page and volunteer to chat with strangers who need a friend. Do you know what it's like to type "Catholic online counseling" into the google bar over and over and come up with articles about a new Ipad App for people who want to confess their sins at a nominal fee? It feels like there's no spirit out there, nothing alive to connect with, and I feel like a fool for expecting my faith to stay alive in this crazy world. I know I may have ranted a little and gone off-topic, but I swear I looked for groups on this site that are on topic and when I thought I found one it wouldn't let me post anything. If anyone reading this is a clergy member who wants to keep faith alive, come find me or some other needy soul on facebook. We're waiting. Thank you for your time.
In all honesty, the reason is that talking to a person directly will always be better than message boards, instant messaging, or e-mails. You also have to consider that internet communications can be risky because that counsel can be used against the counselor. That's the reason personal relationships are preferred. Please also do a thorough search of Facebook as I believe there are probably places you haven't discovered that you would find helpful. Also, even if you are not desiring a Confession, the Confessional is a place where one can seek counsel anonymously.
Old May 25, '11, 5:00 pm

I really can't believe that a priest doesn't want to respond to you. I have ventured a one-off question here or there to someone I've seen on the internet and I have ALWAYS gotten a response- not an in-depth conversation, but a response.

Maybe you need to consider what/how you are asking? And whom?

Good luck- I know you'll find the right person at the right time.
Old May 25, '11, 5:15 pm

I did mean to add that I do sympathize, however.
Old Aug 8, '11, 5:34 pm

Religion: catholic

Hi, Everybody!

I've also been wondering if there's a way to talk to a priest online. Not because I have trust issues w/the parish priest, but because I'm mostly housebound, due to illness.
I know priests are way too busy with all their duties & other parishioners, to make a "house call" - much less, to do so on a regular basis. Heck, I don't know if that's even allowed...

I do manage to attend Mass sporadically, but that's not the time to get into an in depth, personal conversation, anyway.

A previous post by a seminarian, made me think of something...
Are seminarians - those near ordination, of course - not newbies - allowed to converse with us on an e-mail level?
That'd be such a great resource because they have mentors who can assist them with any tough questions or situations. Just an idea.....

Hopefully, my illness - although chronic - will ease up enough to allow me to meet with the local priest, who is only 4 blocks from here!!!

It's tough, being so disabled, yet so young, & not understanding how my experience can be of value - having access to a priest would sure be helpful!!!

Peace 2 All!
Pippi
Old Aug 8, '11, 6:19 pm

Religion: Practicing Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanofoptimism View Post
I agree. It shouldn't be so difficult to find caring clergy. Have you tried the Reverend Know-it-All?. He answered once for me.
Old Aug 9, '11, 9:09 pm

Religion: New Catholic (former Pentecostal as of early 2011

I can understand why there would be things that would feel strange talking about to people you know. It amazes me how small the Catholic community is and I think it is even more small if you are involved in ministry of some sort.

Have you thought of simply googling parishes in an area where there are people you don't know and phone up a parish and arrange a phone meeting? It might cost you a bit on long distance but at least your concerns can be addressed. You can also email several priests and see what happens. It will probably take longer for them to respond back but if you don't mind the wait, try it.

A hint, if you want to keep your name a secret, be sure to use an account which doesn't have your name in it's address such as [email protected] nor your name in the send and registration section. Otherwise if the priest sees two different names, for example [email protected] and it was sent by Jake Smith: it defeats the purpose and you might end up looking like an idiot verses someone who really needs help.

I suggest that you pray beforehand before you call or email. God knows what is going on and he knows the right person to help you.
Old May 12, '12, 6:05 am
Trial Membership

Happy Saturday Morning. I was born into a Catholic family, but I haven't been inside the Catholic Church except for three times since age five. My mother changed religions after my father passed.

I never felt comfortable in the other churches, so as I got older I began to refuse going to church alltogether. At age forty I know very little about what it means to be Catholic. I want to learn how to be Catholic. I feel that catholic religion would be very supportive of my values of Love, Peace, and Honesty.

I've never been to confession. I've never owned a Catholic Bible. I've been to Midnight Mass once and I know there's a lot more to the Catholic Church than Sunday Mass, but I have never been a part of any of it, only because I just wasn't exposed to it after age five.

If I can learn enough about how to be Catholic then I will feel more confident about stepping into the Catholic Church on my own, as an adult. But untill then I feel like a stranger and I'm afraid to go inside.

I attempted to walk into a Cathedrial about a year ago. I just wanted to sit and pray. But the doors were locked. I felt silly. I guess I thought the doors would always be open. I remember going in once with someone when I was a teen, and we lit candles. It was in the middle of a weekday.

So, you see, I don't know what I'm doing. I'm here for guidance in living like a real Catholic; to learn the ways and the customs. Right now I'd be scared to death to walk into a confessional. I've never been in one. I wouldn't be sure how it's done. My luck I'd get inside and there would be no preist...or I'd get inside and someone else would come in and say, "Hey, I was next. I had an appointment." lol?

I have five children. My only little one is six. The others are much older. I don't even know how to get my little son involved. I don't know what activities are scheduled, what ages they're for, or if it costs money to attend.

I've lived in many places, and I've often cried tears to God, praying that I want to go home. But even when I went home I felt lost. Maybe the Catholic Church is the "home" I have been seeking for so long.

I was glad to find this forum online. I'm here for guidance and support in becoming a real Catholic, and I'm excited about this. Could this be the place where I have always belonged...in the Catholic Church? Could this be my long lost community? I almost feel like I need a "Catholic tutor" to teach me the Catholic ways. Of course, lol, I don't know if there is such a thing.

Thank you and bless you. I'm HAPPY to be here.
Old May 12, '12, 6:18 am
Trial Membership

Smile Re: Talk with a Priest

I'm a little lost about these threads...is this where I post a question? I posted my introduction then was taken right to this blank page to type...please overlook this post if I'm in the wrong place.
Old May 12, '12, 6:33 am
Trial Membership

hi every one i am here to get an answer about the two biblical verses about judas in 1 judas has died in field and in other he hanged him self how could one man die twice ..... when bible is knows as God's word ? what should i call this a error mistake or what ....

verse are given below:
Matthew
27:5 And he put down the silver in the Temple and went out, and put himself to death by hanging.
http://www.o-bible.com/cgibin/ob.cgi...mat&chapter=27

other one is:
Acts
1:18 (Now this man, with the reward of his evil-doing, got for himself a field, and falling head first, came to a sudden and violent end there.

http://www.o-bible.com/cgibin/ob.cgi...=act&chapter=1
Old May 12, '12, 6:52 am

Religion: Fellowship contemplative prayer UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem View Post
You could private-message Fr. Serpa...

You can find him on the Ask An Apologist page.

Gem
Good idea is that and there are a few priests on here. I messaged one once and got a reply okay.
Though mostly I do talk quite privately to my priest via email but he knows me and he knows it my prefered way. Thats different to what you are wanting because you are wanting anonymously too you suggest? Fr Serpa might know of how you can get something organised on a regular basis as such too.

Good luck
Old May 12, '12, 6:54 am

Religion: Amateur Catholic

"Ah, Harry, we have to stumble through so much dirt and humbug before we reach home. And we have no one to guide us. Our only guide is our homesickness." -- Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse

Who wants to see God? Cry to the Lord with an intensely yearning heart and you will certainly see Him. People shed jugs of tears for money, wife, and children. But if they would weep for God for only one day they would surely see Him.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality