Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 25, '09, 12:20 pm
CAF News Bot

Default Infamous Hollywood Screenwriter to Pen Film on Our Lady of Guadalupe

By Patrick B. Craine

CLEVELAND, Ohio, August 25, 2009 (LifeSiteNews.com) - Infamous Hollywood screenwriter Joe Eszterhas, 64, known for such sordid films as Basic Instinct and Showgirls, has undergone a conversion and now will be writing a new film on Our Lady of Guadalupe.

Eszterhas has been one of Hollywood's most influential screenwriters, writing lucrative blockbuster films, such as Flashdance, Jagged Edge, and Basic Instinct, and raking in million-dollar paychecks. Known for living the full 'Hollywood lifestyle', Eszterhas gave it up to move home to Ohio with his wife and children in the late 1990s.

In 2001, faced with throat cancer resulting from his smoking and alcohol addictions, which threatened to kill him, Eszterhas turned to God in desperation.

Full article...

Discussion welcomed and encouraged.
Old Aug 25, '09, 9:54 pm

Religion: Pagan
Default Re: Infamous Hollywood Screenwriter to Pen Film on Our Lady of Guadalupe

Thats really inspiring. I look forward to the movie!

The woman came from a man's rib. Not from his feet to be walked on. Not from his head to be superior, but from his side to be equal. Under his arm to be protected, and next to his heart to be loved.
Old Aug 26, '09, 7:35 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Infamous Hollywood Screenwriter to Pen Film on Our Lady of Guadalupe

That's great! Who would have thought that the guy who wrote "Showgirls" would convert to the Catholic faith. God is good!
Old Aug 26, '09, 7:38 am

Awesome! I find it so incredible that a man who created movies that objectified women so much is now honoring Our Lady on film! The ways that God can turn our hearts around never ceases to amaze me.

Without God we are a mystery to ourselves and monsters to one another

We're here to bring you back to the one true faith: the Western Branch of American Reform Presby-Lutheranism."
- Rev. Lovejoy, the Simpsons
Old Aug 31, '09, 1:53 am
Prayer Warrior

This is so exciting! God bless him - what a great witness. (Both with his change of lifestyle and the film he is trying to create.) I am a devoted Guadalupana and would love another film about her.
Old Aug 31, '09, 9:13 am

Religion: Catholic and Proud of it!

I hope this movie is respectful and historically sound. Maybe he can look to Luke Films (the company that made Saint Therese: Ordinary Girl, Extraordinary Soul, for distribution. Or maybe it can go directly to video (wider audience).

I think Eduardo from Bella would be a good Juan Diego.

"More souls go to hell because of sins of the flesh than for any other reason."
- Our Lady of Fatima

Who will speak for those who have no voice?

Life.....what a beautiful choice!
Old Aug 31, '09, 10:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediliz View Post
I hope this movie is respectful and historically sound. Maybe he can look to Luke Films (the company that made Saint Therese: Ordinary Girl, Extraordinary Soul, for distribution. Or maybe it can go directly to video (wider audience).

I think Eduardo from Bella would be a good Juan Diego.
I admit I don't know much about the story of Our Lady of Guadalupe but I would still like to see a film on it!

As for being historically sound and respectful, that is always a must! There are so many films out there that say 'Jesus' in the title but are blashemus! But I think this film will be safe from Blaspemy. Maybe a few small errors here and there (like "The Nativity Story), but nothing overly huge.

It's ironic that you mentioned 'Luke Films'! When the movie "13th Day" having some kind of trouble finding distrubuters or whatever, I couldn't help but think "Why don't they
ask Luke Films?"

Anyway, we'll see what happens. More than likely, this film won't be a Box Office hit. The last two Religious films that came out (Nativity Story, Therese) had small distribution and stuff. I think that with "The Passion of the Christ", a part of it's huge sucess in relation to "Therese" and "The Nativity Story", was the controversy surrounding it. Not to mention the large distrubution it got, which was something "Nativity" lacked. But Thank God for that film anyway.

But who knows? Maybe the fact this screenwriter has converted will raise some people's curiousity...let's just pray that this film makes it!
Old Sep 1, '09, 7:07 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

People may not understand this philosophy I am going to say. Do not be offended.

God, did not save him out of nothing. Unlike other people who are saved by reparations committed by many Catholics for the conversion of sinners, this account was made from his own heart directly to God. He, personally, reached out to God and begged for help to save him.

It was those precious words that allowed him to be saved and his open heart that allowed the Holy Trinity to begin work through him as a testimony to the power of the Holy Trinity.

If man does not reach out to God. God can not show us his ways.

Oh how heaven that day celebrated and rejoiced at the conversion of his heart. A very moving story.

Thank you for sharing.
Old Sep 1, '09, 8:53 am

I can't wait to see this movie. Just pray for it: I'm sure people will make endless jokes about the guy who wrote showgirls writing about Our Lady. I'm anticipating some cringe-inducing "jokes."

God bless
Old Sep 1, '09, 2:05 pm

Religion: Angry but practicing Catholic

Talk about a 180-degree turn in morals! :: Applauds:: I hadn't heard of this one, but I'd love to see it when it does come out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Angela: "I don't believe in the Devil."

John Constantine: "You should. He believes in you." -- "Constantine"
Old Sep 2, '09, 9:09 am

If he's worth his salt, he'll let it flow organically and it should be quite a script.
Nobody can tell a writer what to write. Hopefully, he'll get all his facts straight.

Who in Hollywood would want to do this? Mel Gibson? (He's a little distracted right now.)
But anything about the Blessed Mother would be fabulous. Just hope it gets the right artists involved.
Old Sep 5, '09, 7:38 am

EWTN interviewed Steeve McEveety who stated that his production company was doing this film. McEveety was involved with THE PASSION of the CHRIST, and BELLA.

I'd suggest for those who haven't seen Gibson's APOCALYPTO that you do because it focuses on the culture before the Spaniards arrived. That culture continued until the appearace of Our Lady of Guadalupe.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media