Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 30, '09, 2:45 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Most Catholic Catholic country in the world?

Hi all, I was just wondering if anyone knows what are some of the most "Catholic" Catholic countries in the world. I could find quite a lot about countries having you know, 85% or 97% of the population Catholic, but I was wondering if anyone knows which of these is most Catholic in reality? For example, highest mass attendance, Catholic morals and ethics in law and government, etc?

Thanks and God bless!
Old Aug 30, '09, 2:47 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Most Catholic Catholic country in the world?

Vatican City State ;D

Seriously though I would put money on Italy or Spain
Old Aug 30, '09, 3:04 pm
Banned

Religion: High-Church Lutheran
Send a message via MSN to LutheranDK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesuitLoyola View Post
Vatican City State ;D

Seriously though I would put money on Italy or Spain
You'd be throwing money away...
Poland would be a better bet.
Old Aug 30, '09, 3:59 pm

Send a message via AIM to Thepeug

Better yet...Malta.

--St. Francis de Sales
Old Aug 30, '09, 4:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepeug View Post
Better yet...Malta.
That was what I was going to say although I chat with someone from Malta and they are getting less and less Catholic as time goes by.

Brenda V.

Old Aug 30, '09, 4:45 pm

By numbers or percent?

By Percent it's definitely the Vatican (100%), followed very closely by Malta, then by Poland. Italy and Ireland are also definitely up there.

Now if we go by sheer numbers, the US has 68-70 million catholics by comparison Malta has about .5 million total population. However the US would be low on population at about 25% (compared to France which is certainly a secular country, but still about 65% Catholic). You would have to take all of Italy and Poland's Catholics to equal the number in America. The Church had an expansion in S. America, but it is quickly becoming Evangelical/Pentecostal, mostly as a compliment to liberal politics.

I would not be surprised to see an American Pope in this century (but not til later, it is unlikely that there would be an American Pope if the US remains a superpower, which we are certainly on the decline.)

Even more interistingly the balance of Power in Europe is changing, Poland is going through a sort of Renaissance and could very well become a superpower by 2050. A strong Catholic Poland and a strong Orthodox Russia would certainly make things interesting...
Old Aug 30, '09, 5:12 pm

I'm going to guess (with no proof) either Portugual or Phillipines.
Old Aug 30, '09, 6:26 pm

My bet is on Poland, but maybe that is because my wife is from Poland. Even if they don't win percentage wise, they make up for it in devotion. The small villages have shrines to Mary at every other house and they go to Mass every day during Advent, Lent, and other religious festivals. In the larger cities (Krakow, Warsaw) I saw nuns and priests all over the place.

It seems like other European countries are becoming more secularized and some are turning downright anti-Catholic. Poland seems to be holding strong to the Faith.
Old Aug 30, '09, 9:52 pm

What about Brazil? As of the year 2000 there were 125 million Catholics who were 74% of the population. Though, it is dropping fast, it was 89% in 1980.
Old Aug 31, '09, 10:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepeug View Post
Better yet...Malta.

I looked up Malta, they're 98% Catholic, and their government really does seem to be Catholic! They've been consistently sticking it to the EU, which is trying to push them into legalizing abortion.
Old Aug 31, '09, 10:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanpablo View Post
They've been consistently sticking it to the EU, which is trying to push them into legalizing abortion.
Source for this, please?
Old Aug 31, '09, 10:58 am
Forum Elder

I am thinking that the best way to know is not by how many people in the country claim to be Catholic, but rather, by how many of their sons they sent to Seminary, and by how many of their daughters they sent to the convent. (Even if they didn't complete the discernment process.)

I would also look at how much of the faith is practiced publicly. For example, in the Philippines, in some villages, everyone in the whole village (even if they are not Catholic) participates in the Palm Sunday and Good Friday celebrations. If the local government is basing its policies on Catholic social norms, that's also a good indicator. (There are too many "Catholic countries" with either liberal or atheistic governments.)

Tiber Swim Team - Class of 2001
Old Aug 31, '09, 2:17 pm

I have been to the Philippines and Poland and have been very impressed by the widespread and open Catholic reverence and practices in those countries. I recall when I was in Warsaw several years ago, the churches on the main street were filled to overflowing and the people who could not get in knelt on the street at mass. I also have heard some very good things about Malta. (I wonder how many people realize that divorce is not legal in the Philippines, and I have heard it is illegal in Malta, which if nothing else shows how seriously religion is taken in these two countries.) I have been wondering about another country whose Catholicity we never hear about, East Timor in Asia, which is over 95% Catholic. Of course, it has just existed a few years. I have heard good things about El Salvador too, though actually I don't know enough about this country to speak about how Catholic it is. But I do not want to make the mistake some people I think make--if there are a good number of Catholics, the place is Catholic. If a country is Catholic, I would think, this will be a predominant aspect of public life, including the national government, law, elections, and culture, including the mass media. I would think if a country has legalized abortion especially, I would wonder about any claims that it is a Catholic country.
I raised the question about Catholic counties myself on a thread here, but I have more thoughts on this myself.
Old Aug 31, '09, 4:35 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglandPries View Post
What about Brazil? As of the year 2000 there were 125 million Catholics who were 74% of the population. Though, it is dropping fast, it was 89% in 1980.
You are right, was the highest, may not be any more
Old Sep 1, '09, 12:08 pm

I'm not sure on specific demographics, but I would say Italy, Spain, Austria (I know Austria is around 90% catholic), France, Poland, and Mexico.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence