Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 14, '09, 1:27 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: stay at home mom joining the air force reserve i desperately need prayers!!

Hi,

I was in the Air Force for 5 years. Thank you for doing this; I won't say anything else about whether you should or shouldn't, that's you and your husband's decision. I was in flight controls (electromechanical repair) on f-4's. I just want you to know your school, after basic will be about 3 or 4 months long ( I had friends in that school, but it's been a long time and I don't remember exactly). The only reason I say that, is that you mentioned how long you'd be gone, and it was only the length of basic. Your family is allowed to join you at tech school, but unless they join you, you will be separated longer than basic.

Basic is tough. Please run and do calisthenics before you go. Be ready for the first 2 or 3 days, when they yell every bad word you can think of at you. You won't be able to call home for a few days, and when you can it will be for a very short time. Besides that, AF Basic is a bit harder than it was when I was in, but it's the easiest of the services.

I wish you all the best, and God bless.

rhmom
Old Sep 15, '09, 7:27 am
Trial Membership

Religion: catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to davoucci19
Default Re: stay at home mom joining the air force reserve i desperately need prayers!!

I have passed the test and physical thank you so much for your prayers everyone i greatly appreciate it. my family is happy and they supporting me all the way.

Last edited by davoucci19; Sep 15, '09 at 7:37 am.
Old Sep 15, '09, 7:36 am
Trial Membership

Thank you so much, for your prayers i have passed the test and physical and i will know on tuesday my career choice and when i go for training, my family is happy and supports me all the way, i greatly appreciate everyone and thank you for the prayers for myself and family i have read all your comments and i am going to reconsider the job i will be choosing for the sake fo my family. thank you again everyone.
Old Sep 15, '09, 7:40 am
Trial Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhmom View Post
Hi,

I was in the Air Force for 5 years. Thank you for doing this; I won't say anything else about whether you should or shouldn't, that's you and your husband's decision. I was in flight controls (electromechanical repair) on f-4's. I just want you to know your school, after basic will be about 3 or 4 months long ( I had friends in that school, but it's been a long time and I don't remember exactly). The only reason I say that, is that you mentioned how long you'd be gone, and it was only the length of basic. Your family is allowed to join you at tech school, but unless they join you, you will be separated longer than basic.

Basic is tough. Please run and do calisthenics before you go. Be ready for the first 2 or 3 days, when they yell every bad word you can think of at you. You won't be able to call home for a few days, and when you can it will be for a very short time. Besides that, AF Basic is a bit harder than it was when I was in, but it's the easiest of the services.

I wish you all the best, and God bless.

rhmom
thank you so much hun for your comment, I have been doing some running and i just have to work on my push ups, i passed the asvab and next tuesday i will find out my career choice and when i leave. i am really excited and i am ok with the bad mouth and everything, i think its because of my age and maturity i am going in there with the attitude to get in and do what i have to do and thats it nothing more nothing less. if i WAS 18 that would have been different lol but it feels great to do this i am happy.
Old Sep 15, '09, 10:50 am

Congrats on passing the ASVAB.

As you get ready for basic, may I suggest you work on sit ups? I believe you will be tested on these.

You should be at Lackland/San Antonio during a pleasant time of year if you go to basic before April. After that, it gets very warm.

When you get a chance to go off-base, you might check out San Fernando Cathedral in downtown SA, not far from the Alamo. If you have the opportunity to go to mass off-base, the closest parish is St. Vincent de Paul. It's around 2 minutes from the Lackland front gate, but you'll need wheels to get there.

Best wishes for continued success in your preparations...
Old Sep 21, '09, 10:19 am

The Air Force does PT????

Just kidding!
Old Oct 27, '09, 5:13 am
Trial Membership

Praying for you and your family.

I decided to join the Army National Guard 4 years ago. I was a stay at home mom and my husband and I decided it would be a good decision for our family.

My son(14) did not like the decision at first now he is my biggest fan. My daughter (6) loves telling people her mommy is in the Army.

I served for 8 years in the Navy; got out, got married and had children. I felt I still had something to offer my country.

Yes, you will be called on to make sacrifices, but I find I am an example to my children that life is about making sacrifices for them AND for others. We have a GREAT support system with family and friends. I love them dearly and they know it.

Good luck!
Old Nov 4, '09, 10:19 am
Trial Membership

Religion: christian

You are an inspiration. I am a mother of a toddler boy who is 2 and I am thinking about joing the Air Force as well. Just recently my sister (19 years old) and my cousin who is (24 years old) joined the Airforce. My cousin was an Air Force recruiter, but he has already done his 4years and is studying to be a lawyer now. My husband had a father who was in the Air Force as well. I am seriously thinking this might be a good thing to do. I know I will get those opposing views as well because I am a mother of a toddler but if I don't do it now, I probably will regret it later. My son will be much older and more unwilling to relocate if I wait, especially if he has friends in school, and stuff like that. I hope the best for you and your family . In prayers -
Old Nov 6, '09, 5:13 pm

I say best of luck to all who decided to join the military - regardless of the branch but I am partial of the Air Force. I grew up in the AF - brother a Lt.Col in the AFR and 2 sons in. I wanted to join after high school but my parents would not let me (way back in 1968). I still regret it to this day. The key is family support regardless of whether children are in the picture or not. We also have many couples serving at the same time and it has been hard on the children when both deploy but I think when those children get older and understand what their parents have done they will be extremely proud of them

God bless to you all in the military.
Old Jan 28, '12, 11:06 am
Trial Membership

Religion: Christian/Believer
Thumbs up Re: stay at home mom joining the air force reserve i desperately need prayers!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davoucci19 View Post
Hello everyone I am new to this forum, and I am happy I found it. I am a wife/stay at home mom of 2 small children, my daughter is 3yrs old almost 4 in december and my son is almost 18 months old. I have decided back in march to join the air force reserve which was something I wanted to do since I was 18. I am now 29 and my husband is ok with me joining of course he has his worries but him being a former marine he knows the benefits that this will give us.

I have lost a total of 65 pounds almost 70 to be accepted (current weight 165 acceptting weight 160, i will be fine by monday though) at the moment I am studying to take this test called asvab test. I will be getting this done sept 14 which is monday, and I cant begin to tell you how anxious I am not so much nervous. I have been praying to god to help me pass this test so I can qualify and score high enough to choose the career of my dreams which is aircraft mechanic(which comes with a bonus) I have been asking everyone I know to please put me in there prayers so this can go well. I truly believe in the power of prayer and I hope you can do the same. I also ask to please pray for my family since I will be gone for 8 1/2 weeks of training my husband and family will be watching over our little ones.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PRAY THIS ALL WORKS OUT FOR US IT IS AN AMAZING BENEFIT AND ACCOMPLISHMENT FOR ME AND FAMILY!!

Wow, First let me start by saying congratulations on losing all that weight, what a great accomplishment. I think it's great you have full support of your family. My situation is different and I'm still praying myself about joining the reserves. I encourage you to go for it. I pray that God would guide you in your future, protect you as you serve and bless you for all your sacrifices. I also pray that God would give you the desire of your heart. Amen
Old Feb 5, '12, 3:59 pm

My prayers are with you as you head out for the Air Force. My brother was in the Air Force forever some 30 yrs?

I too wanted to join back in 1968 and didn't. Now that I'm 60 I wish they would consider taking this chubby senior. LOL!

What a wonderful husband you have and such a supportive family. I think this is a good decision and one that can secure your future. I am also glad that you reconsidered your career choice.

Prayers to you and the best to your family.
Old Feb 10, '12, 8:13 pm

Religion: Catholic; Straight up.

I'm currently in the Air National Guard.

I've been in for about 3 years now. If I can give you any advice for basic...

1. Don't go unless you feel comfortable with your PT. You will either enjoy PT or hate it. I would try to enjoy it as much as you can, especially running. The days we ran were literally my only ME time. I went from being an out of shape, non-runner to a pretty good one and it allowed me to really enjoy the time we had to run. You rarely run with your flight. You will run with a pacer in your assigned groups, then you'll do a self-paced run and then sprints. As long as you keep running, don't stop to tie your shoelaces or other nonsense, the MTIs will leave you alone and you can actually enjoy yourself. Also, be comfortable with push ups because you will do A LOT of them.

2. You will be assigned a "job" while in basic. There are tons of them. I had 4 just on my own. I was a sweeper, a fire monitor, SABC monitor and Weapons monitor. Every flight is different and every MTI has emphasis on different jobs. If I were to to give you any advice...STAY AWAY from these jobs: Dorm Chief, Latrine Queen, Element leader, Weapons monitor, Chow runner and especially EC monitor. These all require extra work which you just don't need with all the stress you already have on you. The worst jobs were Dorm chief, EC monitor and Latrine Queen. They were on their faces doing push ups all day, every day. Chow runner was humiliated the most and was probably the scariest job to have in the beginning.

3. The hardest part for basic for me was being 27 years old in a flight with 40 other females whose age averaged about 19 or 20. I was lucky enough to be in a flight that had a fairly large number of reservists and national guards. These girls are almost always older and wiser with far more years around the sun. Many of them were mothers too. There were probably 12 of us over the age of 24. That was really nice but it did not take away from the fact that I felt like I was in high school all over again but on steroids. Girls are immature and naive anyway. Take away their family, their sense of privacy and freedom and turn up the stress level volume to 10 and it becomes a very volatile environment.

4. MAKE SURE EVERYONE WRITES YOU!!!!! I cannot stress this enough. You should be getting letters from multiple people every single day. You won't be able to write much or be given any phone calls. You will look forward to airman's time and letters.

5. It will be the longest 8.5 weeks of your life but it's worth it all. It will seem stressful and scary but it's also fun and enjoyable at times. Love what you do and take it chow to chow and Sunday to Sunday. By the way...they give you church time every Sunday. I took full advantage of this and attended a bible study and Mass. You are allowed your rosary beads in your security drawer but you can't wear or carry them except on sundays while going to mass.

You will be in my prayers...if you have any questions about tech school...just ask!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014