Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Sep 15, '09, 9:58 am

Default Is Catholic Education Really that Bad? - Why do all of our friends choose homeschool over Catholic School?

We're new to the Catholic faith (RCIA April 2009) and just beginning to develop Catholic friendships in our area.

Recently we were at a party with about 10-15 couples in their 20s and 30s (all devout, cradle Catholics... the prayerful, daily-mass, serving, tithing, orthodox types). At some point the conversation turned to education and we found out that ALL of them are home schooling their children instead of Catholic education.

100%!

And it's not like they all go to one parish, they're spread out at orthodox parishes around the area.

It turns out nearly all of them grew up attending Catholic schools around the country. And all of them praise God that they're still faithful at all, since very very few of their childhood friends remain faithful after their Catholic education.

While a group of 20-30 devout Catholics from all over the country that attend various parishes around the area all finding unity in their education beliefs is a miracle in itself, I have to wonder if our sampling is too small.

But they're not alone. During our conversion process we spoke with others who were excited about our journey toward Rome, but warned us never to let our children attend Catholic school.

This is what brings me to you all. We're 4 years away from having to make these decisions ourselves, but I'm curious if you echo the opinions of the young devout Catholics we know.

So what do you think? Is Catholic school really that detrimental to one's faith? Are you sending your children to Catholic school? If so, what are the tell-tale signs one can look for to determine if a school would be a benefit or hindrance to the faith of your children?

As a bit of background, I was raised in fantastic public schools that I would love to raise my children in -- if they weren't 2000 miles away. My wife was raised in conservative Christian schools (Protestant) and had fabulous experiences and grew tremendously in her faith there. We're not anti anything by culture. But it was disconcerting to see such a resounding chorus of disapproval from our most faithful friends.

Thanks.
Old Sep 15, '09, 10:21 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is Catholic Education Really that Bad? - Why do all of our friends choose homeschool over Catholic School?

I have mixed feelings, personally... built up from my own experiences and from watching others.

I do believe in Catholic Elementary/Middle schools. I think laying this foundation down when they are young and experiencing the Sacraments in a community is so meaningful.

I think that Catholic High School can lend itself to having people fall away from their faith, though. High school is a time of "rebellion" (in general) - when kids have to form their own personal conscience and rebel against what they (even from their flawed childish perspective) believe is wrong in the world. High School kids are very in tune to hypocrisy, although they may not know how to express that sentiment very well. When they see something wrong - any sort of hypocrisy within the Catholic High School - they associate that with the Church itself. In Public High School - you HOPE they see the hypocrisy in the WORLD and then turn toward their FAITH for some moral standing. It's easier to rebel in a public school setting because there truly ARE things that are going to be wrong - and many teens will learn to LEAN ON their FAITH during that time and grow in faith.

I disagree with homeschooling, in general (few exceptions), for a variety of reasons... mostly from how I've witnessed homeschooled kids grow up (from my own personal exposure and perspective)... just something that isn't in line with how we want to raise our kids.

Tailgate in style! - SharperTailgating.com
Old Sep 15, '09, 10:31 am

Religion: Christian
Default Re: Is Catholic Education Really that Bad? - Why do all of our friends choose homeschool over Catholic School?

My wife and I are facing the decision to home school or not. We don't have access to a Catholic School, but we wish we did. I would imagine that Catholic School has changed from 50 years ago, everything has. I have heard horror stories from family members who attended Catholic School, but I doubt the ruler swinging overbearing people still rule the schools. Hard to say though. We would like to have the option of having our children taught within the Catholic doctrine. I look forward to hearing the comments about home school. I've met some pretty mal-adjusted kids that were home schooled, but I have also met some of the most well behaved and intelligent kids that are home schooled.
Old Sep 15, '09, 10:33 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

I homeschool, and my philosophy is that any school that takes a child away from his family for 6+ hours a day (not to mention travel time and homework time) is not natural, and not the best formational environment for a child. I think there are exceptions to this rule, but education at home is what I believe to be the ideal. I understand that in a society where institutionalized education is the norm, the "ideal" is not realistic for many families, but it is still the main reason why I homeschool.

I think much of what homeschoolers beleive to be the negative influences of Catholic schools are things that you would probably find in ANY school. In fact, if I had access to a perfect Catholic school - completely orthodox, good families, great teachers, cheap, etc... I'd still have reservations about sending my kids there 30 hours a week, and being segregated by age, and not being around their first and primary teachers (parents) for that many waking hours of the day.

It just so happens that the Catholic school nearest me has a very weak religion program, and we left that parish because of liturgical abuses etc...In this case, I was concerned that if we sent our kids to that school, they would learn a distortion of what it means to be a Catholic. In our opinion, that would've been worse than sending them to the local public school, which would hopefully not teach them anything at all about being a Catholic, and which would leave that job to us. So we thought the Catholic school wasn't a great bet. I'm sure that is not the case with every Catholic school.
Old Sep 15, '09, 10:40 am

I agree with the Catholic elementary and/or middle schools and public high schools. I remember in my area, the Catholic schools seemed to get most of the "problem kids" that the public schools did not want to deal with. This probably isn't the case with every Catholic school, but it was very common when I was growing up. (Which wasn't all that long ago...I'm only 23.) My parents were very conservative and the were at times overprotective of me, so they were at first very uncomfortable with the idea of sending me to a public high school. They believed that it was very important for me to have teachers that would support the Catholic faith, and it was, when I was younger. As it turned out, I feel that the public high school was the best thing for me.

It's definitely good for kids to have the foundation in their faith laid down at a young age. By the time they reach high school, they are starting to understand why they believe the things they do. For me, the public high school gave me a good chance to see how many different types of people lived. I formed many friendships with people that belonged to other Christian denominations, and we were able to have some very constructive conversations about our religions. I was also able to see how a lack of faith could affect people. In high school, I had my faith tested in ways I never could have expected, and my faith grew much stronger as a result of it. Of course, my parents were always close by to continue to guide me and to talk to me about my experiences. The experiences I had in high school helped strengthen the foundation that I had already built in elementary school, and it helped me get a small glimpse of what the "real world" would be like for me in college. The challenges I had in high school helped me learn how to defend my faith and feel secure in it. I'm glad that I was able to feel confident about my Catholic faith before heading off to college.
Old Sep 15, '09, 10:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmac View Post
, but warned us never to let our children attend Catholic school.........

Is Catholic school really that detrimental to one's faith?
So your friends' warning about catholic schools is that Catholic schools don't impart the faith correctly and/or effectively?

The bottom line is that the parents are the primary teachers of the faith, and this is true whether the children are home schooled, attend public school, or attend Catholic school. If you are devout and are passionate about imparting your faith to your kids, you will be successful no matter how you choose to "school" your children. If faith is not the center piece of your life at home, sending the kids to Catholic school is unlikely to be enough.
Old Sep 15, '09, 10:58 am

Well, let's look at the schools and the ages: (Disclaimer. I'm a product of Catholic education, and it SAVED my faith and preserved it. But I went to good authentic Catholic schools.)

30 years ago.... 1979. Aha. Post Vatican II. Many of the schools at that time became infected with a lot of "experimentation" and were being run by some pretty liberal administrators and raging feminists who had their own agendas. They had had a good 15 years headstart to take a very good Catholic School structure in America and totally corrupt it.

And a lot of those schools were in parishes that were being run by what my generation called "the hippie priests." Not coincidentally, during this era, a lot of the pedophilia was taking place that didn't get discovered for more than a decade and a half. Young men were entering the seminaries from the late 60s on, some to avoid the draft, others to be in a place where they had guaranteed access to children. A minority to love and serve God and His people, it seems. It was a wonderful time for those who wanted to cast out all the old rules. Church teaching on the sanctity of marriage? We don't need that! Church teaching on contraceptives? We don't need that! We can make our own rules and follow our own consciences! Church teaching on premarital sex? Lord, we don't need THAT most of all! WE are Free to be ME! Abortion? Don't condemn! And throw away that Baltimore Catechism. Gaah! We're NEW CHURCH. NEW CHURCH SPEAKS! Listen to the Spirit! (Unfortunately, they didn't specify what spirit....)

Yay! Whee! FUN!

Wasn't that a wonderful time, boys and girls? Open dissent! Pro-abortion priests running for elected office. No more rules! WE ARE ALL CHURCH! (Whatever that means.)

And the party went on for a little bit while a lot of people in my parent's generation switched parishes and looked for old-school priests and nuns to teach their kids. But then something happened. Families began falling apart. People started getting annoyed at reports of their kids being abused sexually. Seems they loved when Fr. Feelgood dispensed them from Christ's teaching on sexual morality and told them to use the pill, that shacking up wasn't the worst thing they could do and if the wife was looking peaked, God didn't mind if they started anew with the secretary... well, that was all fine and good. They LOVED Fr. Feelgood. He was never "negative" or made them feel "guilty." (The worst of sins!) Well, turns out sometimes Fr. Feelgood was dispensing himself from a few of the Church's teachings on sex also. Like the one about not sleeping with your neighbor's kid. Oh, now that's different! He didn't judge you, because who was he to judge you? It's not like he was going to be a hypocrite about it all. (Another really bad sin.) Then the priests who used to turn a blind eye to the Truth got another look and closer scrutiny.

However, in 1978 something critical happened. A very strong young pope had just taken the helm and had begun instituting measures to reign in the madness. Things began to change. They're still changing. From the seminaries on down. The kind of men who were inspired by him and entered the seminaries to follow his example have been ordained and are replacing some of the retiring loopier older priests as pastors now. They are also changing the face of the Church and the parish schools. In a good way.

But let's look at your friends. Who may have started school in, say, 1977. And they went till 1989 or later. Their experience with Catholic education could have been marred by the remnants of the period of insanity and the feminist agenda that permeated many convents and schools during that time. And they suffered from the lax oversight of what was taught in the schools and pulpits. They went to schools but those schools were hardly "Catholic." They fell away from the Church because they were never exposed to real Church teaching. They fell away from a misrepresentation of Catholicism. I would have too, probably.

I think many schools are changing back. It takes a close look and discernment to see. If you can AFFORD the schools now (and that is a BIG issue and a reason for home schooling for a lot of people), your best bet is to first go to the parish church. Listen carefully and observe the pastor and his associates. If they are faithful to authentic church teaching in their sermons and rubrics, and if Mass is celebrated in the church with reverence then talk to the families in the school. Go in and look at the textbooks. Talk to the principal. Check out the parish/school website and look for words like "Magesterium" "Fidelity to Christ" "adherence to the teachings of the Pope" and other phrases that aren't just lofty "We teach with the Spirit and have an accepting community of faith-filled believers" claptrap that can indicate a problem.

It will only be with your generation insisting on genuine Catholic schools that the whole institution won't die out or turn into fancy prep schools that really mean nothing spiritually.
Old Sep 15, '09, 11:03 am

Send a message via Yahoo to shannyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em_in_FL View Post
I have mixed feelings, personally... built up from my own experiences and from watching others.

I do believe in Catholic Elementary/Middle schools. I think laying this foundation down when they are young and experiencing the Sacraments in a community is so meaningful.

I think that Catholic High School can lend itself to having people fall away from their faith, though. High school is a time of "rebellion" (in general) - when kids have to form their own personal conscience and rebel against what they (even from their flawed childish perspective) believe is wrong in the world. High School kids are very in tune to hypocrisy, although they may not know how to express that sentiment very well. When they see something wrong - any sort of hypocrisy within the Catholic High School - they associate that with the Church itself. In Public High School - you HOPE they see the hypocrisy in the WORLD and then turn toward their FAITH for some moral standing. It's easier to rebel in a public school setting because there truly ARE things that are going to be wrong - and many teens will learn to LEAN ON their FAITH during that time and grow in faith.

I disagree with homeschooling, in general (few exceptions), for a variety of reasons... mostly from how I've witnessed homeschooled kids grow up (from my own personal exposure and perspective)... just something that isn't in line with how we want to raise our kids.
it's funny because i was going to say the exact opposite, that I think Catholic HS is a better option than doing Catholic grade school. I switched from public to Catholic HS and it truly saved me. Catholic HS was great for answering the bigger deeper faith questions teenagers have, and lets face it, you just don't 'get' it all at the elementary school level. Catholic HS really made the Faith come full circle for me and make sense in the 'real world'. That is, if it's a good orthodox school, which mine was.

I have to ask about the homeschooling......you say you disagree with it......is that just that you wouldn't choose it for your kids or that you have a reason that you don't agree with it in general, and if so for what reasons? Genuinely curious here, as a non-homeschooling parent who is a home schooling parent wanna be

TO the OP, I've not had good experience with Catholic grade schools speaking from my own experience and from my kids'. I grew up with the same 30 kids from K to *8th grade and in getting back in touch with people now in our 30's a whopping 2 of us call ourselves Catholic. Most are atheists or agnostics. I believe the agenda rich bent of the school we attended had a lot to do with the mass abandonment of my classmates from the faith, as we were not properly taught our Faith, not even remotely. If you can find an orthodox Catholic school, wonderful. They are harder to find than they ought to be. You really have to do your homework, ask questions, and most importantly show your face at school, frequently.

Quote:
So your friends' warning about catholic schools is that Catholic schools don't impart the faith correctly and/or effectively?

The bottom line is that the parents are the primary teachers of the faith, and this is true whether the children are home schooled, attend public school, or attend Catholic school. If you are devout and are passionate about imparting your faith to your kids, you will be successful no matter how you choose to "school" your children. If faith is not the center piece of your life at home, sending the kids to Catholic school is unlikely to be enough.
agreed. Parents are the first line of defense when it comes to faith formation. I think part of that responsibility, if you've employed a school to help you in this, is making sure your Catholic school is doing their job (that you're paying them to do) so that the children have the necessary consistency that they need.

ďI am not my own; I have given myself to Jesus. He must be my only love." Bl Kateri Tekawitha

Old Sep 15, '09, 11:34 am
Forum Elder

I think it depends where you live.

I understand why people homeschool. My wife and I are considering that option as well when the time comes. But on the flip side, I think we need to be careful. How are our Catholic schools going to improve if the most "devout" Catholics purposely do not send their children there? No wonder Catholic schools are falling on such hard times.

It is kind of a balancing act, though. We don't want to abandon the Catholic school system. But then, we don't want to put our kids on the "front lines" (so to speak).

This is where I struggle. I'm a firm believer that reform happens from the inside, not the outside. If we want our Catholic schools to be better, we have to get involved and work for it. Then, not only will our kids benefit, but hopefully all the families in the parish and school will benefit.

For your own edification, feel free to peruse the documents from the Vatican's Congregation for Catholic Education. They recently sent out a Circular letter to the Presidents of Bishops' conferences on religious education in schools back in May that gives a really nice image of what a Catholic school should be like.

The Catechesis of the Popes
The more I follow the online discussions ... the more I follow the debates and disagreements in the Church about administrative unity, or the concerns expressed about the moral or personal or administrative or leadership failings of the bishops or the clergy, the more I become convinced that whatever might be the truth of these concerns, ALL of this is simply a distraction. No, itís more than that. Itís a justification, an excuse, for not helping each other and those outside the Church fall in love with Jesus Christ. How easy it is to talk about everything, but about Jesus hardly at all.

- Fr. Gregory Jensen
Old Sep 15, '09, 11:44 am

The sad reality is that Truth can be adulterated even in Catholic Schools. By now, I think most people realize there is a good deal of dissident ideas floating around theologial circles within the Church and these may not be visible when touring a school and sharing small talk with a few teachers. I don't have anything against Catholic Schools, I attended Catholic HS myself. However, if the parents do not have a good grasp of what their children will be taught than the fail-safe method is homeschooling. I'm not married, that may be a few years off, but I presume that by the time I have children the only option (in my own opinion) will be homeschooling given the rate of decay across the board. I think I should have enough time to build my children up morally and intellectually enough to prepare them for the progressive assault they will face by the time they hit HS/college.
Old Sep 15, '09, 12:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDeoVita View Post
given the rate of decay across the board.
How do you measure the rate of decay of catholic education?
Old Sep 15, '09, 12:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico S View Post
How do you measure the rate of decay of catholic education?
I think that when you see that 80% of Catholics don't believe in the Real Presense, we can safely say that our Catholic Education is failing.
from your
neighborhood?

The most powerful weapon to conquer the Devil is humility. For as he does not know at all how to employ it, neither does he know how to defend himself from it.
Old Sep 15, '09, 12:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by st lucy View Post
I think that when you see that 80% of Catholics don't believe in the Real Presense, we can safely say that our Catholic Education is failing.
This issue cannot be pinned on catholic schools...statistics like this are indiciative of an epic failure of the Catholic Church in its entirety--hierarchy, ministries, parents, schools..... Closing yourselves and your families off form the rest of the luke warm catholics will not help move that stat in the other direction.
Old Sep 15, '09, 12:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannyk View Post

I have to ask about the homeschooling......you say you disagree with it......is that just that you wouldn't choose it for your kids or that you have a reason that you don't agree with it in general, and if so for what reasons? Genuinely curious here, as a non-homeschooling parent who is a home schooling parent wanna be
Probably a combination...

The few examples I personally witnessed of homeschoolers (again, from my own personal exposure and perspective) really didn't prove it's worth in general. One family (not Catholic) was HS'ed elementary/middle school and the girls went to high school with me... they were very sweet and very bright, but they were THE most socially awkward people I knew. It was challenging to spend time with them - and it became literally an act of charity to be friendly. The other family I knew (they were Catholic) just didn't seem to go anywhere in life. No attempt at higher education, pregnant before marriage, seemed like troubled kids (goth-like dress, always depressed, etc) - just seemed very... lost and sad.

OF COURSE this was a terribly small sample and NOT a good representation and clearly NOT the case for most that homeschool... but it's just these examples that I can't get past, and something that I would NOT want my own children to experience.

And to the POINT of the thread - which is KEEPING OUR KIDS CATHOLIC - I don't think school type makes THAT big of a difference if the parents are truly doing their JOB of being that primary source of education in the faith.... LIVING the faith by example and by word. ANY school choice potentially could produce lifelong Catholic kids.

Tailgate in style! - SharperTailgating.com
Old Sep 15, '09, 12:45 pm
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberanosamalo View Post
Well, let's look at the schools and the ages: (Disclaimer. I'm a product of Catholic education, and it SAVED my faith and preserved it. But I went to good authentic Catholic schools.)

30 years ago.... 1979. Aha. Post Vatican II. Many of the schools at that time became infected with a lot of "experimentation" and were being run by some pretty liberal administrators and raging feminists who had their own agendas. They had had a good 15 years headstart to take a very good Catholic School structure in America and totally corrupt it.

And a lot of those schools were in parishes that were being run by what my generation called "the hippie priests." Not coincidentally, during this era, a lot of the pedophilia was taking place that didn't get discovered for more than a decade and a half. Young men were entering the seminaries from the late 60s on, some to avoid the draft, others to be in a place where they had guaranteed access to children. A minority to love and serve God and His people, it seems. It was a wonderful time for those who wanted to cast out all the old rules. Church teaching on the sanctity of marriage? We don't need that! Church teaching on contraceptives? We don't need that! We can make our own rules and follow our own consciences! Church teaching on premarital sex? Lord, we don't need THAT most of all! WE are Free to be ME! Abortion? Don't condemn! And throw away that Baltimore Catechism. Gaah! We're NEW CHURCH. NEW CHURCH SPEAKS! Listen to the Spirit! (Unfortunately, they didn't specify what spirit....)

Yay! Whee! FUN!

Wasn't that a wonderful time, boys and girls? Open dissent! Pro-abortion priests running for elected office. No more rules! WE ARE ALL CHURCH! (Whatever that means.)

And the party went on for a little bit while a lot of people in my parent's generation switched parishes and looked for old-school priests and nuns to teach their kids. But then something happened. Families began falling apart. People started getting annoyed at reports of their kids being abused sexually. Seems they loved when Fr. Feelgood dispensed them from Christ's teaching on sexual morality and told them to use the pill, that shacking up wasn't the worst thing they could do and if the wife was looking peaked, God didn't mind if they started anew with the secretary... well, that was all fine and good. They LOVED Fr. Feelgood. He was never "negative" or made them feel "guilty." (The worst of sins!) Well, turns out sometimes Fr. Feelgood was dispensing himself from a few of the Church's teachings on sex also. Like the one about not sleeping with your neighbor's kid. Oh, now that's different! He didn't judge you, because who was he to judge you? It's not like he was going to be a hypocrite about it all. (Another really bad sin.) Then the priests who used to turn a blind eye to the Truth got another look and closer scrutiny.

However, in 1978 something critical happened. A very strong young pope had just taken the helm and had begun instituting measures to reign in the madness. Things began to change. They're still changing. From the seminaries on down. The kind of men who were inspired by him and entered the seminaries to follow his example have been ordained and are replacing some of the retiring loopier older priests as pastors now. They are also changing the face of the Church and the parish schools. In a good way.

But let's look at your friends. Who may have started school in, say, 1977. And they went till 1989 or later. Their experience with Catholic education could have been marred by the remnants of the period of insanity and the feminist agenda that permeated many convents and schools during that time. And they suffered from the lax oversight of what was taught in the schools and pulpits. They went to schools but those schools were hardly "Catholic." They fell away from the Church because they were never exposed to real Church teaching. They fell away from a misrepresentation of Catholicism. I would have too, probably.

I think many schools are changing back. It takes a close look and discernment to see. If you can AFFORD the schools now (and that is a BIG issue and a reason for home schooling for a lot of people), your best bet is to first go to the parish church. Listen carefully and observe the pastor and his associates. If they are faithful to authentic church teaching in their sermons and rubrics, and if Mass is celebrated in the church with reverence then talk to the families in the school. Go in and look at the textbooks. Talk to the principal. Check out the parish/school website and look for words like "Magesterium" "Fidelity to Christ" "adherence to the teachings of the Pope" and other phrases that aren't just lofty "We teach with the Spirit and have an accepting community of faith-filled believers" claptrap that can indicate a problem.

It will only be with your generation insisting on genuine Catholic schools that the whole institution won't die out or turn into fancy prep schools that really mean nothing spiritually.
Love this post....and it makes a lot of sense! Thanks Liberanosamalo!

Council 1489

Tiber Swim Team -- Easter Vigil '08

Obl.S.B. (Novice)
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life