Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 25, '09, 9:03 am

Religion: catholic
Default catholic bible vs. other bibles

can someone give me the link to and Or explain what the difference is between the catholic bible and other bibles.

a friend of mine who is interested in the catholic church had a question which I have heard asked before on catholic answers live but I can't remember the response the apologist gave on the radio.

she was told by someone of a different religion that catholics don't use a regular bible they use a different bible?

my memory is not the best, but I remember on air it had something to do with the books of the bible being added or removed? or the wording of the translations. I want to give my friend a clear concise, and intelligent explaination for what she is hearing from other religions but I can't remember how it was explained and I can't find a website explaining why catholic choose to read certain approved bibles verses the ones protestants or other religions use.

so any website or facts that you can offer put in a way she will understand is appreciated.
thank you.
Old Sep 25, '09, 9:17 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: catholic bible vs. other bibles

I don't have a link, but I believe theres a tract here on Catholic Answers that addresses that.

Basically, Catholic Bibles have the 7 deuterocanonical books in the OT, plus additions to Esther and Daniel. These Scriptures were originally written in Greek, while the rest of the OT was written in Hebrew. Martin Luther removed them from the body of the OT and put them "in the back", so to speak, mostly because he disagreed with some Catholic doctrines that sprang from them. Later reformers removed them altogether, and call them the "apocrypha". The books are Tobit, Judith, Wisdom, Sirach, Baruch, and 1 & 2 Maccabees (plus the additions to Esther and Danile as previously noted). Catholic and Protestant New Testaments are identical.

There's a neat little book (small but very meaty) called "Where We Got The Bible: Our Debt To The Catholic Church" by Henry Graham that addresses the origins of Scripture and the differences in Catholic and Protestant Bibles. There's also a book called "Why Catholic Bibles Are Bigger", but I can't remember the author right now.

Hope that helped some.

In Christ,

Ellen
Old Sep 25, '09, 9:25 am

thank you ellen thats perfect. I need a handy little book that explains things like this so when ever i am questioned about my catholic faith I can give a proper answer right away.
Old Sep 25, '09, 10:50 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Go to Catholic Answers/ Library/ Faith Tracts/ Scripture and Tradition

(http://www.catholic.com/library/scripture_tradition.asp)

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

(JOHN 6:35 & 48)

"For man has in his heart a law inscribed by God. . . . His conscience is man's most secret core and his sanctuary. There he is alone with God whose voice echoes in his depths." (CCC 1776).
Old Sep 25, '09, 3:12 pm
Banned

Religion: Other

<<
Basically, Catholic Bibles have the 7 deuterocanonical books in the OT, plus additions to Esther and Daniel. These Scriptures were originally written in Greek,>>

This is not accurate, as Hebrew versions of these disputed books exist.

Though it is true they were translated in to Greek in the Septuagint (LXX), the Greek version of the OT make 2 centuries before Christ.
Old Sep 25, '09, 3:51 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluny View Post
<<
Basically, Catholic Bibles have the 7 deuterocanonical books in the OT, plus additions to Esther and Daniel. These Scriptures were originally written in Greek,>>

This is not accurate, as Hebrew versions of these disputed books exist.

Though it is true they were translated in to Greek in the Septuagint (LXX), the Greek version of the OT make 2 centuries before Christ.
I believe that there were no known hebrew versions of these books at the time of Luthor. Recent archeological findings (eg dead sea scrolls) have unearthed ancient manuscripts where these books were in hebrew.
Old Sep 27, '09, 8:54 am

Religion: Catholic- but my spiritual glass is getting tougher to fill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawanda View Post
can someone give me the link to and Or explain what the difference is between the catholic bible and other bibles.

a friend of mine who is interested in the catholic church had a question which I have heard asked before on catholic answers live but I can't remember the response the apologist gave on the radio.

she was told by someone of a different religion that catholics don't use a regular bible they use a different bible?

my memory is not the best, but I remember on air it had something to do with the books of the bible being added or removed? or the wording of the translations. I want to give my friend a clear concise, and intelligent explaination for what she is hearing from other religions but I can't remember how it was explained and I can't find a website explaining why catholic choose to read certain approved bibles verses the ones protestants or other religions use.

so any website or facts that you can offer put in a way she will understand is appreciated.
thank you.

Check it out: Here's your answer. I answer this one all the time, ALL my friends as baptist & they always used to ask, & they have since stopped asking because they've seen the truth of it. CHECK IT OUT. The Bible I like to use is the Douay-Rheims version. One of the testaments came out in 1582 AD. The other in 1609 AD. It PRE-DATES the KING JAMES version. Older than the King James....yes. It is actually the oldest ENGLISH translation version. Douay-Rheims Version contains the DEUTEROCANONICAL books we still use today, like Tobit, Maccabees, etc. The VERY FIRST King James version had those same books. YES, the PROTESTANT BIBLE CONTAINED THE VERY SAME BOOKS. THEN the AUTHORIZED KING JAMES VERSION came out & that is when ALL the Deuterocanon was pulled out, leaving it with the bibles you see like the NIV, the RSV, etc. Deutero Canon means DISPUTED. MANY protestants and even some catholics mis-speak when they refer to them as Apocrypha or NON INSPIRED books. The book of Tobit is Deuterocanon. The GOSPEL of JAMES is apocrypha. Yes, such a book exists as The Gospel of St. James. It is not in the bible we use. Why? Because it's apocrypha. SO. I hope this shines some light on the subject. Just remember Deuterocanon is Disputed.....starts. w. a "D", lol Dertero-disputed. LOL The fact is the books have ALWAYS been there since the council of Trent & long before that. Catholicism didnt add books. The 2nd ever King James version was the one that REMOVED the deuterocanon. We didnt add. They removed. Now some 500 years later people ask why catholics added books to the bible. They dont know the history of anything. It's easy because it's all they know, then they see a bible with lots of extras & then they think, MAN catholicism is weird, they be addin **** to EVERYTHING!. no. not at all. Catholicism actually refuses to be watered down. It's like making lemonade & adding too much water. Or too much ice in your rum & coke, LOL!!! I hope this answers your question. I do a TON of reading, I am a book worm & I spend the bulk of my free time studying up on this & learning & reading, and comparing & that is basically a scratch on the surface of what I've found. Here's the kicker, I'm a convert. I used to be episcopalian. I've been catholic since 2007. I've learned more in 2 years that I have in 30 years of being episcopalian. I hope this helped. You can look no further, LOL. That's essentially the meat & potatoes of it.

~Jason

Old Sep 27, '09, 9:53 am

hey jason thank you for that very informative reply. if its o.k may I copy your reply and send it to her?
Old Sep 27, '09, 12:15 pm

Religion: Catholic- but my spiritual glass is getting tougher to fill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawanda View Post
hey jason thank you for that very informative reply. if its o.k may I copy your reply and send it to her?
hey, do me a favor, let me know how it goes

~Jason

Old Sep 27, '09, 12:19 pm

o.k I will
Old Sep 28, '09, 4:58 am
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic Convert

http://www.scripturecatholic.com/deuterocanon.html

http://www.scripturecatholic.com/septuagint.html

The 1st link is to info on the deuterocanon. The 2nd might be better, it is about the Septuagint. It shows how most (2/3) of the OT in the NT comes from the Septuagint.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism