Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 4, '09, 9:31 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Where is my donation going?

Hi, Where is my donation going to for the first basket? Sometimes they have a second basket and specifically say it is for a new building or something. Yet, they never specify how much percentage of the first basket goes to charitable things to help the poor, how much is used to pay people/ clergy/ living costs for the priests, how much is used for heating/ electric bills. What percentage is going to the poor? I know that the money is all collected within the diocese and then split up right? Where could I find this information?, I'm specifically looking for the Archdioceses of Washington DC, and also the Diocese of Pittsburgh. Thanks!
Old Oct 4, '09, 10:18 am
Forum Master

Default Re: Where is my donation going?

Quote:
Originally Posted by concerneduser View Post
Hi, Where is my donation going to for the first basket? Sometimes they have a second basket and specifically say it is for a new building or something. Yet, they never specify how much percentage of the first basket goes to charitable things to help the poor, how much is used to pay people/ clergy/ living costs for the priests, how much is used for heating/ electric bills. What percentage is going to the poor? I know that the money is all collected within the diocese and then split up right? Where could I find this information?, I'm specifically looking for the Archdioceses of Washington DC, and also the Diocese of Pittsburgh. Thanks!
Usually the first collection is for the parish. The collection is the main source of funds for operating expenses for the parish. If you call the parish office, you should be able to get a copy of the financial statement or annual budget. That way you can see how much goes to things like electricity, heat, water, building repairs ..... and how much goes to various ministries that help the poor, educate children and adults, as well as other social outreach ministries.
“Above all, the common outcry, which is justly made on behalf of human rights -- for example, the right to health, to home, to work, to family, to culture -- is false and illusory if the right to life, the most basic and fundamental right and the condition for all other personal rights, is not defended with maximum determination.” Saint John Paul II

"It is not “progressive” to try to resolve problems by eliminating a human life." Pope Francis
Old Oct 4, '09, 10:31 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
Hi, Where is my donation going to for the first basket? Sometimes they have a second basket and specifically say it is for a new building or something. Yet, they never specify how much percentage of the first basket goes to charitable things to help the poor, how much is used to pay people/ clergy/ living costs for the priests, how much is used for heating/ electric bills. What percentage is going to the poor? I!
yes they do give this information. the parish is obliged to give a financial report to the parish once a year, that shows income and expenses, it is usually this time of year, October, when the official count of Catholics is made, when we are asked to reconsider our stewardship commitments in terms of time, talent and treasure, and when bookkeepers have finished fiscal year accounting. (for most parishes the fiscal year is July 1 to June 30).

You will likely be hearing "the money talk" sometime this month as well. Your parish may publishe the financial report in the bulletin, give highlights from the pulpit, put it on the website, or have them available for parishioners who ask. Call your parish office.

In general the regular Sunday collection (if that is what you mean by the first basket) covers the expenses of operating the parish--overhead, utilities, salaries etc--and of parish ministries--Mass and sacraments, CCD, religious ed for adults and children, any ministry you can think of including outreach to the poor of the parish. Many parishes have another "envelope" designated for St. Vincent de Paul or other ministry for the poor.

The second collection may either be for the parish building fund or capital campaign, and is just that, covers capital expense, not recurring expense--new church, new roof, new parking lot, repairs etc. There are also 2nd collections, or an envelope designated for the purpose, for annual appeals from the US Bishops, the local bishop and diocese, or the universal Church. They may pass the basket twice, or encourage you to use the designated envelope in your packet and toss it in the regular collection. Examples would be Catholic Charities, Catholic Communications, Missions, Peter's Pence (Pope's personal charities), Church in the Near East, Catholic Relief Services, etc.

All second collections must be announced, the the money collected accounted for and reported separately from the regular collection. There is also a tax payable to the diocese, usually about 11%, from each parish due weekly from the regular Sunday Collection.

call your parish office and ask how you can receive the annual financial reports of both the parish and the diocese (or check their websites).

just to clarify, in most dioceses, the parish must collect, spend and account for money collected specifically for ministry to the poor, such as a food bank, St. Vincent de Paul etc., separately from the regular collection. For one thing they should have their own bank account for better tracking, also so they are not taxed to the diocese so all the money can go to the ministry. Most parishes therefore will have 3 bank accounts, the regular one, where the regular collection is deposited andfrom which recurring expenses are paid. A capital campaign or building fund account (also so those contributions are not taxed and can be properly accounted for). An an account for St. Vincent or whatever name their ministry for the poor goes by.
Old Oct 4, '09, 5:06 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Hi, Where is my donation going to for the first basket?
To your parish. You will have to ask your parish finance council or your pastor for the specific budget allocations and needs. Each parish spends its money as it sees fit.

Quote:
Yet, they never specify how much percentage of the first basket goes to charitable things to help the poor, how much is used to pay people/ clergy/ living costs for the priests, how much is used for heating/ electric bills. What percentage is going to the poor?
Your parish finance council will be able to provide you with an annual financial report.

Quote:
I know that the money is all collected within the diocese and then split up right?
No, that is not correct. The parish collection is for the operating of the parish, and that money is not sent anywhere else.

Diocesan funds such as the bishop's appeal, diocesan capital campaigns, etc, are handled separately. Those monies go to the diocese and are allocated for various works of the diocese. The diocese also furnishes an annual report of income, expenses, and where the money goes that is collected for diocesan purposes.

Quote:
Where could I find this information?, I'm specifically looking for the Archdioceses of Washington DC, and also the Diocese of Pittsburgh. Thanks!
For your parish, contact your parish council president, finance council president, parish administrator, or pastor.

For the diocesan funds, look on their website, many diocese post their diocesan annual report online. If they don't, you can call the diocesan finance office.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014