Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 9, '09, 8:26 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Question Bible on the floor question...

I am mostly a reader (lurker) here in the CAF,and I have loved CAF for years! Here is my question, and I really hope I don't offend anyone with my ignorance- Is it wrong to ever place a Bible on the floor? My husband is going through the RCIA at our local parish, which is lead by one of our Deacons. The Deacon's wife is very vocal when someone places a Bible on the floor, scolding them in front of the class and even threatening to kick them out of RCIA! I have never seen anyone treat the Bible disrespectfully. The offense usually occurs when someone tucks their Bible under their chair on the floor during the class- we have no tables and sit in chairs arrranged in a tight circle.

I will add that we LOVE the Bible. I have many happy memories throughout my lifetime of casually reading the Bible on the floor! Youth groups and summer camps when I was a child, and now as a mommy reading to/ with my kids as we sit/ lay on the floor. I always was comfortable with the Bible, and want my kids to be comfortable too- not irreverant, but comfortable.

I thank you,in advance, for your feedback!
Old Oct 9, '09, 9:43 pm
Forum Supporter

Default Re: Bible on the floor question...

The Deacon's wife may be admired for her piety but she needs to read Romans 12 and then relax a bit!

I'm a little surprised, as I have seen this kind of Bibleolatry from fundamentalists (I grew up "knowing" that if you were carrying a stack of books the Bible had to be on the top . . . ) but not usually from Catholics.

There's a pretty wide gap between treating the Bible with disrespect and tucking it under your chair! (And most of the ways we disrespect the Bible have nothing to do with physical copies of the book . . .)
"Strive for peace with all men, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Heb. 12:14

Crossed the Tiber 1980 (no, I can't swim)
Old Oct 9, '09, 10:01 pm
Prayer Warrior

Thank you NHInsider! I couldn't agree more! I had to run and read (my much beloved Bible) Romans 12! Thank you! I have no intention of disputing the pet peeve of the Deacon's wife publicly. I just wanted to make sure that we are not committing some sort of sin.
Old Oct 10, '09, 9:03 am

Send a message via Yahoo to mommybug47

The Bible is HIS love letter to us. Do you keep a love letter on top of your books, up on a shelf, do you only proclaim it from the ambo? No, you curl up with it, you tuck it close to your hert, sometimes you even go out and sit under a tree and even set it down beside you as you ponder in your heart what your love has told you. It is much more important where you put the word, than where you put the book!
Old Oct 10, '09, 10:36 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatFaith View Post
I am mostly a reader (lurker) here in the CAF,and I have loved CAF for years! Here is my question, and I really hope I don't offend anyone with my ignorance- Is it wrong to ever place a Bible on the floor? My husband is going through the RCIA at our local parish, which is lead by one of our Deacons. The Deacon's wife is very vocal when someone places a Bible on the floor, scolding them in front of the class and even threatening to kick them out of RCIA! I have never seen anyone treat the Bible disrespectfully. The offense usually occurs when someone tucks their Bible under their chair on the floor during the class- we have no tables and sit in chairs arrranged in a tight circle.

I will add that we LOVE the Bible. I have many happy memories throughout my lifetime of casually reading the Bible on the floor! Youth groups and summer camps when I was a child, and now as a mommy reading to/ with my kids as we sit/ lay on the floor. I always was comfortable with the Bible, and want my kids to be comfortable too- not irreverant, but comfortable.

If I can avoid placing the Bible on the floor or any thing on top of the Bible I do.
Old Oct 14, '09, 6:11 pm
Prayer Warrior

Thank you for all of the responses! Rest assured, we love our Bibles and never would disrespect them purposefully. I was just curious what the common reaction would be.
It was almost funny, though, (my husband thought it was hilarious) when I actually dropped the Bible in front of the Deacon's wife, last Sunday! We are now expected to juggle Bibles, the CCC, and binders, and sit in chairs in a circle with no tables without ever letting the Bible touch the floor! There was an audible gasp from the class! I could feel the deacon's wife's eyes bore into me. And then, I was embarrassed, and being embarrassed makes me mad. So, I wasted an entire RCIA class fuming. And then, it occurred to me that maybe God is trying to teach me to get over myself a little bit, and focus on things that are actually important. Afterall, after years of praying, God has brought my husband to RCIA!!!! Does it get better than that? And, our RCIA seems pretty solid- faith, scripture, CCC, tradition... a whole lot better than some of the stories I read here. So, let her have her thing. I will oblige. It sure can't hurt. I have greater joy to focus on!
Old Oct 14, '09, 6:26 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic (revert)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommybug47 View Post
The Bible is HIS love letter to us. Do you keep a love letter on top of your books, up on a shelf, do you only proclaim it from the ambo? No, you curl up with it, you tuck it close to your hert, sometimes you even go out and sit under a tree and even set it down beside you as you ponder in your heart what your love has told you. It is much more important where you put the word, than where you put the book!
Beautifully put, and very true!
But it is our road, and we are called to travel it."

Mother Angelica

Old Oct 15, '09, 5:21 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
Thank you for all of the responses! Rest assured, we love our Bibles and never would disrespect them purposefully. I was just curious what the common reaction would be.
It was almost funny, though, (my husband thought it was hilarious) when I actually dropped the Bible in front of the Deacon's wife, last Sunday! We are now expected to juggle Bibles, the CCC, and binders, and sit in chairs in a circle with no tables without ever letting the Bible touch the floor!
get yourself one of those little folding stools they are selling now at Stuffmart, and ostentatiously set it up in front of chair, and start unloading your bag on it. Maybe she will get the message and exercise a little common Christian hospitality--which is supposed to be one of the hallmarks of RCIA--and have the janitor set up some tables.

The Deacon's wife is not an authority unless she has been appointed as a sponsor or catechist or member of the RCIA team. yes, she is admirable in teaching respect for the bible, and I wish she would come and talk to some of our teens, but she is also not being logical and charitable.

Next time you are trying to simultaneously read from your bible, CCC and notebook, hand her the bible and say, "I only have 2 hands can you hold this for me please?"

I am of course being facetious, we need to have respect for those teaching and guiding us, but she needs to hear from the class about ordinary housekeeping and administrative details that are frustrating your experience, just as the Deacon needs to hear about problems you are having with learning and understanding.

Hang in there, Easter is only 6 months away. Welcome Home!

and yes I do try never to lay the bible on the floor, and to set a good example to my classes, also if I have a table set up as a shrine I also make the point not to set textbooks, coffee cups etc. on it. It is just part of the teaching. We give our candidates inexpensive bags to carry everything, so they can just set everything on the bag if necessary. We do use tables, but it is frustrating in its own way, since it cuts down on intimacy and group discussion and sharing, but we are doing our best.

what I really prefer is comfortable chairs, padded, large enough, arranged in a circle around a coffee table where people can set their books and bibles, but low enough that we can make eye contact, and have more a living room than a classroom atmosphere, but that is personal preference, not Law of the Church.
Old Oct 17, '09, 8:01 pm

Putting a Bible on the floor is not an Issue.
Old Oct 19, '09, 6:59 pm

Quote:

This is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard of, that's my feedback.
Old Jan 27, '12, 4:17 pm
Observing Member

Religion: Christian

I came to a disagreement with a brother and his wife over this very subject which brought me to this Catholic website! The brother was putting (not his own Bible, but my wife's onto the floor) and I rebuked him for this.
Let the Word of God speak, for we read in Ezekiel that the devil was cast down to the ground on account of his pride .... 28:17 Thine heart was lifted up because of thy beauty, thou hast corrupted thy wisdom by reason of thy brightness: I will cast thee to the ground, I will lay thee before kings, that they may behold thee.
Is it right and fitting that we should put the precious written Word in that same place where the devil was cast down to as a punishment for his pride, from the Almighty?
I believe that the lady which was mentioned (the deacons' wife) in the original post, could have acted with a little more tact, and less severity, but I can understand where she's coming from.
Old Feb 5, '12, 1:15 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

I would advise not throwing your Bible on the floor, or you will be hearing from me. I don't think setting your Bible on the floor is too bad.
Old Feb 5, '12, 2:19 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic(convert)
Post Re: Bible on the floor question...

I understand the piety and in some respect she's right, we shouldn't position the Bible on the floor as she demonstrates a sort of carelessness for the Word of God. However the way she corrects it is too harsh, a gentle reminder would suffice.
Old Feb 6, '12, 8:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnityofTrinity View Post
I understand the piety and in some respect she's right, we shouldn't position the Bible on the floor as she demonstrates a sort of carelessness for the Word of God. However the way she corrects it is too harsh, a gentle reminder would suffice.
I thought the reported reaction was extraordinary. I reminded me of a friend who teaches in a school where there are a lot of Muslims, and she has to be careful never to put any other book on top of the Koran when she is tidying the bookshelves.I'm sure they'd have some rule about not putting the Koran on the floor, as well. Sudden thought - could the deacon's wife have been a convert from Islam?

I have to say, whenever we have more than one priest concelebrating in our parish, they put their personal missals on the floor beside their chairs (as they are not able to use a vacant chair as a table as when they are alone) and surely that is worse, as missals contain not only the word of God but also the Mass prayers?
Old Feb 6, '12, 3:31 pm

I teach RCIA and believe that it is perfectly alright to have one's bible on the floor if that is convenient. Some put it there even to protect it from coffee spills on the desks. The important things is to have a bible, to read the bible, and to love the bible as the word of God. As my priest tells my RCIA class, feel free to write in it and make notes. I suspect this would upset the deacon's wife.

"May Mary, who bearing Jesus in her womb was the first living "tabernacle" of the Eucharist, communicate to us her same faith in the holy mystery of the Body and Blood of her divine Son, so that it may truly be the centre of our life."
--Pope Benedict XVI

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization