Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 10, '05, 4:23 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic Latin Rite
Default Stations of the Cross for Children

I will be leading Stations of the Cross for our parish's elementary school. Can anyone recommend (either in book form or from the web) a good stations of the Cross that young kids (1st-4th grade) would be able to understand? I think that I could adapt one for the 5th -8th graders.
I am looking for something kids could relate to... that is not too beyond them, and yet also actually commemorates the Passion?
Old Feb 10, '05, 6:52 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to kmktexas
Default Re: Stations of the Cross for Children

These are posters that I used for my 2nd grade CCE class last year. We did a few stations each week. There are nice prayers included. The website has some other Stations books for Children too.

http://www.getfed.com/product_detail.cfm?ID=3805
Old Feb 10, '05, 7:00 pm

I work at a Catholic school, and we have weekly Stations every Friday during Lent, attended by the whole school (K-8). I can either find out where our version comes from, or send you a copy (I don't know if it's a published version that has copyright attached, or if someone from the school created it, in which case I would feel free to send it your way).
Old Feb 10, '05, 8:54 pm

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicDoctor
I will be leading Stations of the Cross for our parish's elementary school. Can anyone recommend (either in book form or from the web) a good stations of the Cross that young kids (1st-4th grade) would be able to understand? I think that I could adapt one for the 5th -8th graders.
I am looking for something kids could relate to... that is not too beyond them, and yet also actually commemorates the Passion?
Why not explain it to them first (why we do it) and then do them the way everyone else does them. To do so otherwise (making them child friendly) will be of no benefit, and will take away from the real deal when it comes time to transition to the real deal. Let them take away from it what they will. They won't take away any more if you make them anything less. The one thing they will remember above all?"We adore you O Christ and we praise you, because by Your Holy Cross You have redeemed the world". It's what I remember from first grade Stations 35 years ago.

Peace
Old Feb 14, '05, 5:28 am

Religion: Catholic

I've been trolling the web for this myself. Here's what I found:

http://www.cptryon.org/prayer/child/stations/index.html

http://www.ainglkiss.com/stations4kids/

Also, have a look at www.catecheticalresources.com . They have a dowloadable .pdf file of Stations of the Cross coloring pages. Sorry I don't have the precise link. Teacher resources - activities will get you there, I think.
Old Feb 14, '05, 7:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyprian
Why not explain it to them first (why we do it) and then do them the way everyone else does them. To do so otherwise (making them child friendly) will be of no benefit, and will take away from the real deal when it comes time to transition to the real deal. Let them take away from it what they will. They won't take away any more if you make them anything less. The one thing they will remember above all?"We adore you O Christ and we praise you, because by Your Holy Cross You have redeemed the world". It's what I remember from first grade Stations 35 years ago.

Peace
The version that we use basically takes the regular reflections and puts them into simpler language, but keeps the major focus of each. We also sing a verse to the tune of At the Cross Her Station Keeping, but with words to fit each station. And we use the "We adore you, O Christ..." etc.
Old Feb 14, '05, 9:52 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

At our parish each CCD class is in charge of sharing one of the Stations of the Cross. This year I am teaching two third grade classes. For the one class I used 9 sheets of poster board and outlined a picture of Mary and Jesus on it (Mary sees Jesus). The students glued torn pieces of construction paper to it like a stained glass mirror. Then we have a short (like one minute or less) saying about it. The other class (Jesus is laid in the tomb) is a short 5 minute play that was based on a coloring book I saw! We have readers, soldiers, Jesus' friends, props (such as sun and moon). They have a great time learning first hand about the station and what it means. Another year I taught 4th grade and they made up a whole 5 minute reflection play on their own! I helped only "fine tune" it. It is a lot of fun and the kids learn so much more when they are involved in it.
Old Jan 12, '11, 11:06 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

I do rather like the angelkiss version. However, I do think that by the time children are in the 5-8th grades they should be able to at least recite the adult version. I realize as both a catechist and teacher, that making the Crucifixion not seem so gorry or bloody or what it actually is does take away from the faith. However, when it stays Jesus help me to forgive just as you forgive, I do beleive that hits home for these children.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality