Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Anglicanorum Coetibus: 2009

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 24, '09, 5:41 am
Banned

Default Anglican to Catholic my Story

Hello again. I know in the past I have posted some rather harsh things about the Catholic Church in the past both in these CA forums and on the Catholic forum on CARM, I sincerely apologise for being wrong on some things and uncharitable in other things. All of that was to help me in my own Faith journey from the Anglican Church in North America to now being a Roman Catholic.

From 1996 till this past September I was an Anglican who belonged to and attended a Parish of the Reformed Episcopal Church. Before 1996 I was a member of the ECUSA (Episcopal Church USA, now TEC (The Episcopal Church) starting in 1990. Before that I attended a couple of Baptist Churches and before that was Baptised, raised, and Confirmed Roman Catholic as a child and young adult and left the Catholic Church when I was about 20 or so. Just to give you all some idea of where I came from.

I enjoyed being a conservative orthodox Anglican and watched and listened with excitement the formation of the new Anglican Church in North America. My hopes were up and I was looking forward to all the good things that would come out of this historic event. Then came the “bad news”, I had hoped that Women's Ordination would be put to rest and abolished and all those “Priestesses” would be defrocked. No such thing happened, instead what we got was The Episcopal Church of 15-20 years ago with a Conservative bent. After the ACNA convention I continued in the REC but something wasn't the same. Those of you who have read my posts here and on CARM going back some time know the issues and struggles I have had over the course of time.

Last September I sat down with a Catholic Priest for two hours and we discussed many things I have issues with. My intention was to find a way to return to the Catholic Church given my “issues” with certain Catholic Dogmas. The result? I am now a “revert” to the Catholic Church. Since I had been Baptised and Confirmed a Catholic the Priest said that RCIA was not necessary for me and he did ask me some questions about the Catholic Faith and was satisfied at my answers so was able to reconcile me to the Catholic Church.

I say all this because I mainly consider myself an Anglican who has returned to the Catholic Church. I knew that in the near future Rome was going to do something and try to reconcile and accept Anglicans back into the Catholic Church. So it was with great joy that I read that the Catholic Church is now making provisions for Anglicans to not only return home but what makes this even better is that Anglicans will be able to keep a good part of their Liturgical and spiritual heritage.

I still have “issues” with some Catholic Dogma, but why let that stop me from affirming what is good and true that the Catholic Church has. Papal Infallibility may take some time for me to accept but I depend on Grace to lead me and perhaps in time it may no longer be an issue. I still accept the Anglican view of “Justification” as stated in the 39 Articles and the Anglican Book of Homilies, but that does not mean that the Catholic view has no basis, maybe I just need some time to study it some more, I am open to wherever the Holy Spirit may lead and guide me. I have no problems with Marian Dogmas, IE Immaculate Conception, Virgin Birth of Jesus, Mary's Perpetual Virginity, The Assumption, and Mary as Mother of God. I know MANY Anglicans do, I do not. I also accept the Catholic views on the Sacraments. I have come to an understanding of Purgatory thanks to some good Catholic explanations of it led by no less a Theologian than Pope Benedict XVI.

Thank you all for reading this post and may the Grace of God be with you all.
Old Oct 24, '09, 5:46 am
Veteran Member

Default Re: Anglican to Catholic my Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotek View Post
Hello again. I know in the past I have posted some rather harsh things about the Catholic Church in the past both in these CA forums and on the Catholic forum on CARM, I sincerely apologise for being wrong on some things and uncharitable in other things. All of that was to help me in my own Faith journey from the Anglican Church in North America to now being a Roman Catholic.

From 1996 till this past September I was an Anglican who belonged to and attended a Parish of the Reformed Episcopal Church. Before 1996 I was a member of the ECUSA (Episcopal Church USA, now TEC (The Episcopal Church) starting in 1990. Before that I attended a couple of Baptist Churches and before that was Baptised, raised, and Confirmed Roman Catholic as a child and young adult and left the Catholic Church when I was about 20 or so. Just to give you all some idea of where I came from.

I enjoyed being a conservative orthodox Anglican and watched and listened with excitement the formation of the new Anglican Church in North America. My hopes were up and I was looking forward to all the good things that would come out of this historic event. Then came the “bad news”, I had hoped that Women's Ordination would be put to rest and abolished and all those “Priestesses” would be defrocked. No such thing happened, instead what we got was The Episcopal Church of 15-20 years ago with a Conservative bent. After the ACNA convention I continued in the REC but something wasn't the same. Those of you who have read my posts here and on CARM going back some time know the issues and struggles I have had over the course of time.

Last September I sat down with a Catholic Priest for two hours and we discussed many things I have issues with. My intention was to find a way to return to the Catholic Church given my “issues” with certain Catholic Dogmas. The result? I am now a “revert” to the Catholic Church. Since I had been Baptised and Confirmed a Catholic the Priest said that RCIA was not necessary for me and he did ask me some questions about the Catholic Faith and was satisfied at my answers so was able to reconcile me to the Catholic Church.

I say all this because I mainly consider myself an Anglican who has returned to the Catholic Church. I knew that in the near future Rome was going to do something and try to reconcile and accept Anglicans back into the Catholic Church. So it was with great joy that I read that the Catholic Church is now making provisions for Anglicans to not only return home but what makes this even better is that Anglicans will be able to keep a good part of their Liturgical and spiritual heritage.

I still have “issues” with some Catholic Dogma, but why let that stop me from affirming what is good and true that the Catholic Church has. Papal Infallibility may take some time for me to accept but I depend on Grace to lead me and perhaps in time it may no longer be an issue. I still accept the Anglican view of “Justification” as stated in the 39 Articles and the Anglican Book of Homilies, but that does not mean that the Catholic view has no basis, maybe I just need some time to study it some more, I am open to wherever the Holy Spirit may lead and guide me. I have no problems with Marian Dogmas, IE Immaculate Conception, Virgin Birth of Jesus, Mary's Perpetual Virginity, The Assumption, and Mary as Mother of God. I know MANY Anglicans do, I do not. I also accept the Catholic views on the Sacraments. I have come to an understanding of Purgatory thanks to some good Catholic explanations of it led by no less a Theologian than Pope Benedict XVI.

Thank you all for reading this post and may the Grace of God be with you all.

Good luck, and pax tecum.

GKC
Old Oct 24, '09, 8:04 am

Religion: Catholic

You surely define the context of what we all want our lives to be:...a "Theo drama"...vice and "Ego drama" (para. Father Barron)*...that is,... a vibrant journey to God...that is based on God as the "playwright" who wrote the "script for our life"...and the incredible drama only occurs when we follow His "script"!

I share my favorite prayer to the Holy spirit...to help me keep my life a "Theo drama"
and hopefully out of the my self constructed boring "ego drama" which I can so easily substitute in my pride and selfishness.

Quote:
Come Holy Spirit, come Divine Spirit of Light, Love, Truth and Strength. I consecrate to thee my intellect, my heart, my will, and my whole being...in time and eternity.

Come Holy Spirit, Soul of my soul. I adore thee. Enlighten, guide, strengthen and console me. Tell me what I ought to do and command me to do it. I promise to be submissive in everything that you permit to happen to me...only show me thy will...and give me the grace to do it. Amen. (Cardinal Mercier)**
Pax Christi

Father Robert Barron, Seminary Professor for Diocese of Chicago
http://www.wordonfire.org/

Désiré-Félicien-François-Joseph Mercier
(November 21, 1851January 23, 1926) was a Belgian Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%A9...Joseph_Mercier
Old Oct 24, '09, 9:04 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

About authority in the church try reading:

Mt. 16:13-19 (and Mt 18:18)
Acts 1:12-26
Acts 15:1-35 (Especially here, Peter is the person who decides that the new Christians no longer need to be circumsized because they only need baptism. Even though in verse 12 it looks like the whole assembly fell silent as Paul and Barnabas, I feel as though the whole assembly fell silent as Peter was talking.) Remember there were no chapters or verses in the original books!!!

Mt 13:11
John 16:12-15
2 Tim 1:13
2 Tim 4:3-4

Read church fathers such as Clement, Irenaus, Origen, and St. Ephraim.

Hope this helps!!!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Anglicanorum Coetibus: 2009