Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Oct 27, '09, 10:23 am
frecklemom frecklemom is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: October 25, 2009
Posts: 46
Religion: Catholic
Default Do Baptists pray the Rosary too?

I found it very interesting that the lady in the news, Somer Thompson's mother, was wearing a rosary around her neck on several occasions. I'm assuming they are baptist because the funeral is being held in a Baptist Church.
Do Baptists also pray the rosary?
  #2  
Old Oct 27, '09, 10:52 am
crazzeto's Avatar
crazzeto crazzeto is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: October 14, 2009
Posts: 5,687
Religion: Catholic - Roman Rite
Default Re: Do Baptists pray the Rosary too?

I couldn't imagine that they did, it would seem to violate their theology. But ultimatly, the rosary is for all Christians to pray. It is acceptable for any true believing Christian to wear one, and pray it if it is their desire. I do see your point about it being odd that a Baptist would desire to.
  #3  
Old Oct 27, '09, 11:00 am
amontoya amontoya is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: July 31, 2004
Posts: 199
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Do Baptists pray the Rosary too?

I think, for non-catholics, wearing a rosary has just become more of a fashion statement, than a prayer tool. I've seen many non-catholics wearing them.
__________________
"Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up." James 4:10
Tiber Swim Team - Class of '07
  #4  
Old Oct 27, '09, 11:28 am
CHRISTINE77's Avatar
CHRISTINE77 CHRISTINE77 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: June 18, 2008
Posts: 3,525
Religion: CATHOLIC
Default Re: Do Baptists pray the Rosary too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amontoya View Post
I think, for non-catholics, wearing a rosary has just become more of a fashion statement, than a prayer tool. I've seen many non-catholics wearing them.
I think you are right and I think it is very very wrong.
  #5  
Old Oct 27, '09, 11:46 am
Newbie2 Newbie2 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: August 21, 2007
Posts: 7,361
Religion: RC
Default Re: Do Baptists pray the Rosary too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISTINE77 View Post
I think you are right and I think it is very very wrong.
How about people wearing crosses or crucifixes as a fasion statement?
__________________
N2
  #6  
Old Oct 27, '09, 11:59 am
crazzeto's Avatar
crazzeto crazzeto is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: October 14, 2009
Posts: 5,687
Religion: Catholic - Roman Rite
Default Re: Do Baptists pray the Rosary too?

If you ask me I think we should reserve our judgments. What, after all, is wrong with a Christian wearing a Christian symbol? For any reason? Ultimitaly it will be to glorify God, whether or not they truely understand what it is they are wearing.

More over, perhaps for these baptist their introduction to the Holy Mother (and a new perspective on Christ through her, which is the whole point of the Rosary) will be through, first wearing one as a statement. Perhaps later on, they will become more curios about it, discover how scriptually based it is, and start actually praying it. Such a thing can not be bad.
  #7  
Old Oct 27, '09, 12:14 pm
allischalmers allischalmers is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: November 6, 2005
Posts: 948
Religion: Baptist Christian
Default Re: Do Baptists pray the Rosary too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frecklemom View Post
I found it very interesting that the lady in the news, Somer Thompson's mother, was wearing a rosary around her neck on several occasions. I'm assuming they are baptist because the funeral is being held in a Baptist Church.
Do Baptists also pray the rosary?
None that I know of and I have known a lot of Baptist.
  #8  
Old Oct 27, '09, 12:48 pm
Jon Hus Jon Hus is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: March 12, 2009
Posts: 495
Religion: Christian
Default Re: Do Baptists pray the Rosary too?

No conservative/evangelica/fundamental Baptist or otherwise will partake in this activity.
__________________
And so upon you will come all the righteous blood that has been shed on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah son of Berekiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar.Matt 23:35
  #9  
Old Oct 27, '09, 12:55 pm
Nominefili Nominefili is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: September 22, 2009
Posts: 296
Religion: Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod
Default Re: Do Baptists pray the Rosary too?

I've met one Lutheran who prays the rosary. No Baptists though.
  #10  
Old Oct 27, '09, 1:00 pm
ralphinal ralphinal is offline
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: May 18, 2004
Posts: 9,391
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Do Baptists pray the Rosary too?

I know of a Methodist, an Anglican, and an Episcopalian who do.

The farther the denomination gets from Catholic, the less likely it is to accept the possibility of such prayers
__________________
Everyone else had a signature, so I thought I needed one too.

Ralph
  #11  
Old Oct 27, '09, 1:08 pm
heartwood010 heartwood010 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: October 27, 2009
Posts: 27
Religion: other
Default Re: Do Baptists pray the Rosary too?

In my experience as a Baptist growing up, the answer would be No, Baptists do not say the rosary.

In fact, the small country church I went to thought of Catholicism as idolatry.

Of course, they also thought everyone who wasn't Baptist was a heretic and would burn for eternity.
  #12  
Old Oct 27, '09, 1:32 pm
CHRISTINE77's Avatar
CHRISTINE77 CHRISTINE77 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: June 18, 2008
Posts: 3,525
Religion: CATHOLIC
Default Re: Do Baptists pray the Rosary too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie2 View Post
How about people wearing crosses or crucifixes as a fasion statement?
The rosary isn't a necklace. Wearing a crucifix shouldn't be a fashion statement. It's because you want the protection of Jesus near your heart.
  #13  
Old Oct 27, '09, 1:35 pm
crazzeto's Avatar
crazzeto crazzeto is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: October 14, 2009
Posts: 5,687
Religion: Catholic - Roman Rite
Default Re: Do Baptists pray the Rosary too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISTINE77 View Post
The rosary isn't a necklace. Wearing a crucifix shouldn't be a fashion statement. It's because you want the protection of Jesus near your heart.
Can one defile these objects by wearing them for no reason other than to complete a nice outfit? Sure, but if a Christian does wear these items (one may wear a rosary about the neck, this is not disrespect in and of it's self) for the purpose of honoring their faith then it is fine. Whether or not they believe the holy mother gave the rosary to St. Dominic to aid his efforts fighting heresy in S. France.
  #14  
Old Oct 27, '09, 1:46 pm
MercyMia MercyMia is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: July 14, 2009
Posts: 1,508
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Do Baptists pray the Rosary too?

It is typically unusual for a Baptist to have a rosary ...but perhaps a Catholic friend or relative gave it to her for some comfort during this trying time. I see nothing wrong with her keeping a rosary around her neck for some motherly comfort from Mary while she is grieving the loss of her little daughter.
I mean, I hardly think this woman has it in mind to wear it as a fashion trend during this time...but yes, I see your point about certain celebs doing it.
__________________


Without God we are a mystery to ourselves and monsters to one another

We're here to bring you back to the one true faith: the Western Branch of American Reform Presby-Lutheranism."
- Rev. Lovejoy, the Simpsons
  #15  
Old Oct 27, '09, 2:11 pm
amontoya amontoya is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: July 31, 2004
Posts: 199
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Do Baptists pray the Rosary too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzeto View Post
If you ask me I think we should reserve our judgments. What, after all, is wrong with a Christian wearing a Christian symbol? For any reason? Ultimitaly it will be to glorify God, whether or not they truely understand what it is they are wearing.

More over, perhaps for these baptist their introduction to the Holy Mother (and a new perspective on Christ through her, which is the whole point of the Rosary) will be through, first wearing one as a statement. Perhaps later on, they will become more curios about it, discover how scriptually based it is, and start actually praying it. Such a thing can not be bad.
I agree with you, if we are speaking strictly of Christians wearing Christian symbols. However, a trend exists today in which Christian symbols are thought of solely as decoration. I'm sure we've all seen many people living a hedonistic, sinful lifestyle, complete with a cross around their neck or hanging from their rearview mirror. That only serves to, "bring the way of truth into disrepute." (2 Peter 2:2)

For this specific woman, we don't know her intentions, nor do we know her prayer practices, so you're right that we should not judge her.
__________________
"Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up." James 4:10
Tiber Swim Team - Class of '07
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8257Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: GLam8833
5018CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: UpUpAndAway
4345Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: lsbar
4029OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: B79
3835SOLITUDE
Last by: beth40n2
3570Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3230Poems and Reflections
Last by: tonyg
3206Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: Chast Forever
3132Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: grateful_child
3048For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: tammany



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 6:18 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.